Advice please

If it doesn't fit in any other forum, this is where it goes.
Greg_Cornish

Advice please

Post by Greg_Cornish »

Hey, I sealed the deal on my handicapped van. Bought it in Minnesota and my Sister and Brother in law want to drive it out after its equipped. Its timed for the 1st two weeks in November. What are the passes in the Sierras like in November. Being from Minnesota they are good snow drivers, however they are flatlanders. I'm buying them a set of chains in MN and I hear there are chain monkeys along the road to help. Help me out here.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
fishsmith

Re: Advice please

Post by fishsmith »

Greg, it all depends on the snow. I've been to Tahoe twice for Thanksgiving one was great one was slow going because of the snow. They usually keep 80 clear except for the worst of storms. just be careful on the down slope with chains and braking.
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

And you can get plenty of advance notice down the road too right? Just get a room in reno?
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
fishsmith

Post by fishsmith »

Yes well in advance. I was in Tahoe for Christmas last year, and it snowed for two days, I was worried about getting home but 2 days later the roads were clear. We didn't even need chains.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Greg, are they coming through Cheyenne or Denver? If they go through Denver on 70 they will hit the Rockies and it is already snowing in Colorado. From Lakewood to Avon can be tuff. If they go through Cheyenne using 80 you will have to worry around Salt Lake City but the distance is not that long. The first two weeks in November can be good or pack with lot of snow. Both locations are ski areas and they get snow in November.

Does you sister look like you?
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

No she looks like Jesse venturas wife.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Have them call road conditions as they come west. Utah is 511, Navada is 800 346- 3732, and California is 800 427-7623. I run western states and I-80 is one of the most kept northern routes to run. Even when the snow is heavy, they tend to keep the roads clear as quickly as possible.
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms