Any one out there from DFG that can explain to me

Johnny C

Any one out there from DFG that can explain to me

Post by Johnny C »

why you have to raise the guides license fee every year..This year (2007) a 10.50 increase...FOR WHAT?????
http://www.dobynsrods.com
TOPSTICK

Re: Any one out there from DFG that can explain to me

Post by TOPSTICK »

just like why raise fishing lic. every year...goverment wants are money :evil: :evil:
Ken C.

Post by Ken C. »

It's probably due to the enhanced services you are recieving!ImageImageImage

It's not DFG's fault. As I'm sure you know the rates are set by our fastidious officials who only see an easy mark e-r-r revenue source :shock:
[i][b]To the world, you might be just one person. But to one person, you just might be the world...[/b][/i]
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/shred1080/misc/Disclaimer.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Kadota.jpg[/img]
Phil

Post by Phil »

NEW FISHING LICENSE ARE IN ---$ 37.30 LAST YEAR $ 34.90 I HEAR YA JOHNNY, BUT WHAT CAN YA DO ??? RAISE YOUR FEES ANOTHER DOLLAR TO COMPENSATE FOR IT .
Jim Conlow Sr.

Post by Jim Conlow Sr. »

Everyone wants a raise every year including the guys who work for the fish and game dept. We ar always complaining about not enough enforcement of the game laws and we dont want to pay a small fee that will buy some gasoline for the cars and boats that the DFG needs to catch the bad guys. There are a lot of other encreased costs as well but these are just quick examples
[i][b]Ride With a [size=200]Legend[/size][/b][/i]
www.legendmarine.com
www.mercurymarine.com
www.inland-marine.com
[img]http://www.westernbass.com/shared/sponsors/150x50/legend.jpg[/img]
Fishin' Dave

Post by Fishin' Dave »

I don't think Johnny would be upset with that if he saw the documentation of where the $$ goes. I know I would.
Don't be lame. It's just fishing; you are not the new mesiah you know! Check your attitude at the door Mr. Spinners on da boat trailer.
Johnny C

I am not buying Jim...

Post by Johnny C »

Think of what you are saying..Four years ago 75.00...Now 170.50...If they are keeping up that means everyone you know averaged that % of wage increase...Well I know a lot of people and no one comes even remotely close to that. They do it and feel justified because they know they will have those who feel they are due because of poor math skills!!!!!As I first stated..FOR WHAT!!!!!
Blue_R70

Re: I am not buying Jim...

Post by Blue_R70 »

Johnny C wrote:As I first stated..FOR WHAT!!!!!
For nothing, nothing at all. The number of fishing/hunting license sales keeps falling each year so that source of revenue is shrinking. And like every other state agency, DFG is strapped for money and they try to get it however they can. The CA DFG's job is no longer being steward to our fish and game resources--they've basically been reduced to a revenue collecting agency...
basstamer

Conlow I hope you dont believe what you wrote!

Post by basstamer »

If so I have a boat to sell you but dont worry about the hole in the bottom-she dont leak! Back when our license/tag fees,sales tax off firearms,tackle,etc and all went into the DFG budget it was different but since it now goes into the "General Fund" your words dont apply. Fish and Game is unfortunatly run by the state and therefore it is run under their mentality....fish and game are UN important to lawmakers-dont believe me look at the loss of wetlands....how about all the houses encrouching on the delta? Its like everything in this world-its money driven right or wrong. Too bad the Wardens cant decide what to do with the money-think of it thru their eyes.....they see what happens out there with water pollution,etc yet no one above them could care less...talk about a thankless job!
BassTraveler

Post by BassTraveler »

This is a job for Super kb.
Hey Kent, would you be so kind as to use your super human power and contact Lynette or another DFG person.
Maybe they can help answer some of Johnny's questions. :wink:
[url=http://www.nosweatmist.com/][img]http://www.westernbass.com/shared/sponsors/150x50/nosweat.jpg[/img][/url]
www.nixonsmarine.com
Barry Watson

Post by Barry Watson »

As a kid in Texas in the 1950's, I thought about a career as a game warden. The add section of Outdoor Life offered an information packet that would give you the scoop on that career. I ordered it and discovered that the average monthly salary was between $300 and $400 per month. To supplement the wage, you were allowed to keep a portion of the game and fish you took from violators for your family use. It did not take me long to figure out that going to the University and getting a degree was a smart thing to do. In my opinion being a game warden is not only a dangerous job, but underpaid and unappreciated as well.
Oldlures
Johnny C

Post by Johnny C »

I probably put out this question wrong. I agree that it is our great political machine and not the DFG..And I certainly know that peolple like Lynette do a fantastic job!...It just seems like no matter how many elections we have, we still end up with a heeping pile of s%$@!!!!
Ken C.

Post by Ken C. »

That's just the thing, , , IF the extra funds were guaranteed to stay within the department and be utilized for things such as supporting the game wardens, supporting programs and habitat improvement for increased hunting and fishing opportunities, etc. then I don't think there'd be quite the number of complaints when they do increase the fees.

I do know that there are several existing programs already in place that are funded directly through these fees, so don't get me wrong. I am aware of them, I do appreciate them and especially appreciate our warden. But the bottom line is that the way they have the budget laws written these funds can be (and have been) re-directed to the 'General Fund' for just about any reason, never to be seen again! :evil:
[i][b]To the world, you might be just one person. But to one person, you just might be the world...[/b][/i]
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/shred1080/misc/Disclaimer.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Kadota.jpg[/img]
Marty

Post by Marty »

Let me see – DFG is paid out of the state's general fund. Right now the State of California is spending more then it is taking-In. That is like spending more then they make – credit card debit. How many of you run your house holds that way?

The big question is did you vote for all the bonds we had this last November? How about the all the bonds we had in the last 10 years? Those bonds are repaid out of the general fund and they have first call, meaning they are paid before any other debit is. All those bones mean less money is left to pay for transportation, education, healthcare, DFG, and other programs Californians consider important.

The other big reason is California is rated as having the 45th-worst tax climate among the 50 states in 2007, up from 42nd in 2005 – and everyone keeps electing those Liberals in Sacramento. That is why guides license are up an additional $10.50 and fishing license are up $2.40.

Hold on to your wallets because more is to come!

Did not mean to turn this into a political topic – “notâ€
Rockyaged

Post by Rockyaged »

I don't know what can be done about the Guide fees, but if you are looking to save money on Licenses, purchase the lifetime license. Yeah.. big lump sum, but if you intend to stay with fishing, teach it to your children and grandchildren, it could be the best bargain going.
Over the years, I've read many fee hike complaints on this site. I've asked if the complainers if they also complain to their local or State representatives in Sacramento. Guess what?? those who chose to answer me said "No, I just needed to vent." Anyone who has only vented and not wrote to some one who could really help is not helping the situation and therefore is a part of the problem.
I don't need to tell you all what the solution is. You know what it is. Take the right actions, and our reps might start taking the right actions. They sure as Hell ain't going to on their own.

Gerald
Jim Conlow Sr.

I understand your frustration

Post by Jim Conlow Sr. »

I just paid $51,000 for permits and fees to build a 2500 square foot custom home.
That is right at 10% of the total cost to build.
Just a few years back the same fees and permits would have been in the neighborhood of $12,000
Our govornments are burning us for everthing they can get away with.
My point was that everyone wants more money for what ever they do. That includes you and I, the difference is they can get away with it and we cant.
So the answer to your question is that they encrease your license fee "BECAUSE THEY CAN" and there's nothing that we can do about it.
www.legendmarine.com
www.mercurymarine.com
www.inland-marine.com
Steve

Re: I understand your frustration

Post by Steve »

Well said Jim.

I used to write about this sort of stuff all the time, but it was a waste of my time.

Bottom line is that we (CA hunting/fishing resident population) get very little from all the fees we pay. And thats it, and always will be it.

I still want to know what has become of the funds generated from the Delta stamp, which really was just a way for DFG to make up for the loss of revenue from the discontinuation of the striper stamp.

And heres another thing. Part of DFG's responsibilities, as mandated by law, is to provide public access to OUR public resouces. Do you know how DFG deals with this? They dont. What they do is they give that responsibility to a private entity then let that entity charge whatever they want to allow access (Amador, Pardee, Collins; these examples are actually a little more complicated than what I just explained). Or they push the responsibilty off on the State Parks system, and of course to use those ramps we need to pay to access the state park (Folsom).

Oh, and dont get me started on the 2 rod stamp. Thats the biggest blatant "search for source of funds with no biological justification, or any legitimate justification" example there is.

Im done, otherwise Ill go on forever.
Blue_R70

Post by Blue_R70 »

Steve wrote:Im done, otherwise Ill go on forever.
No, please go on some of us enjoyed your past commentaries! That's the old piss n vinegar [ insert former username here ]* we all loved so much...

*ooops... :oops:
Last edited by Blue_R70 on Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

Post by Steve »

:oops: :roll:
Dan McKenzie

Post by Dan McKenzie »

This is easy, painfull yes, but easy.
Cost of medical insurance for employees up 110% since 2001'
cost of fuel up 125% since 2000'
cost of workers compensation up 100% since 2001'

These are just a few of the big ticket items that have risen since the turn of the last century, things like tires, power and lighting as well as consumables and cost of goods have all risen and continue doing so each and every day.

We had a customer squeal today because the price of the tanks we build for them went up, our profit margin did not and has actually gone down the past 3 years, yet they want justification, well stainless steel we make their tanks from has risen from .95 lb in 2000 to 2.50+ a lb today. I'm not sure who is in charge of figuring out inflation, or adjusting the numbers to make them look more appealing, but they are one heck of a creative group. If it were a business they would be up on charges.

Our company spends 250,000+ per year to insure (med and workers comp) for a mere 50 employees! That's 5 grand per year for each and every employee, that does not include the employee contribution, nor their co-pays for office visits and meds.

Look at tackle- $6.50 for a bag of senkos, $5-20 ea for lures of varying quality, fishing rods of decent caliber 170+, decent reels at 120+ don't even mention a new boat, fuel or insurance. It's all completely out of control.

I wouldn't look or waste my time on someone trying to justify fee increases, I'd worry more about finding ways to make more money to pay for more future fees (o.k. tax hikes), medical insurance, DMV, taxes, cause that's where this train is headed.

Remember bueracracies aren't cheap to run, most are merely a front to launder our money and pay for more of the same.
Ken C.

Post by Ken C. »

Dan McKenzie wrote: cost of workers compensation up 100% since 2001'
Don't even get me started on THAT. I won't comment any further other than to say only a democrat (:shock:) could screw something up as bad as that program is!

Jim Conlow Sr.

I TRIED THE SAME REALISTIC EXPLANATION

Post by Jim Conlow Sr. »

bUT WAS TOLD THAT I DID NOT KNOW WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT

Lets see how they treat your explanation.

Jim
www.legendmarine.com
www.mercurymarine.com
www.inland-marine.com
Fishin' Dave

Re: I TRIED THE SAME REALISTIC EXPLANATION

Post by Fishin' Dave »

Jim, you don't know what you are talking about.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't be lame. It's just fishing; you are not the new mesiah you know! Check your attitude at the door Mr. Spinners on da boat trailer.
Jim Conlow Sr.

Yes Dave this forum constantly convinces me of that

Post by Jim Conlow Sr. »

I have become deeply depressed because I have found out on this forum just how stupid I am. I am beginning to realize why some people contimplate suicide. But perhaps I should just stick around and learn from those on here who are more intelligent and those who have all of these irrefutable wonderful opinions of their own opinions.

Jim
www.legendmarine.com
www.mercurymarine.com
www.inland-marine.com
Fishin' Dave

Re: Yes Dave this forum constantly convinces me of that

Post by Fishin' Dave »

Jim, Jim

You are supposed to be "The Wise One" Now cheer up or end up like the guy in the Misty Girl thread! HA! :lol:
Jim Conlow Sr.

You see what happens when I try for a little humor?*NM*

Post by Jim Conlow Sr. »

*NM*
www.legendmarine.com
www.mercurymarine.com
www.inland-marine.com