Best phenix jerkbait rod

Bigguyone

Best phenix jerkbait rod

Post by Bigguyone »

Trying to decide on a new rod for jerkbaits/ripbaits. Thinking m1 or recon as dont wanna spend k2 money on jerkbait rod. mainly throw 80 and 95 size with the rare 100 pointer or Vision 110.
I will either team it up with a 16 aldebaran or a 2014 Steez with 10# sniper.

I prefer Rod that is a weaker power and faster tip versus the inverse as I do have an X10 but just don't like how slow the taper is.

I would like to stay Phenix as I really like the split real seats.

Your input and recommendation is appreciated.
Robchik

Re: Best phenix jerkbait rod

Post by Robchik »

I throw my jerkbaits on an M1 72MH, avoiding the x-10 for the reason you mention. 3/8-5/8 oz rip baits. Works great. Delta, Oroville, Clear Lake, etc. I just swap reels for heavier line.

I also really enjoy using that rod for mid-diving and square bill crankbaits. The M1 line has quickly proven to be my choice for moving baits, as I'm not a fan of slower tapering glass/composite blanks.
http://www.robchik.com

Post by 95340 »

You may want to give the M1 7'2" ML a look. Great rod for ripbaits, small squarebills, spinnerbaits, and light t rigs. Big fan of both this rod as well as the X-10 for ripbaits, depending on the time of year and cadence/speed they both have their place. The M1 ML is great right about now when you are working a ripbait slower and need a longer pause, and may have a bit more slack line to work with. The only down side to ripping with a non glass or hybrid rod is you have to really play the fish a bit more, and because of the inherent stiffness some fish will pull off. Just my two cents, hope it helps.
ttb31183

Post by ttb31183 »

I've been using the 6'8 ML Recon 683 with a Curado 70 and it is great for smaller jerkbaits like you mentioned. Everything up to a Vision 110 is great and the length is just right.
Tyler Brinks
TravisH

Post by TravisH »

I really like throwing my rip baits on the Phenix M1 7'2 MH..