Best place to launch at berryessa

Newbassfisherman

Best place to launch at berryessa

Post by Newbassfisherman »

I am headed home from Clearlake tomorrow and though about stopping off at berryessa for the day. I have never been to berryessa and wondering what's the best place to launch from
Thanks
TritonBrent

Re: Best place to launch at berryessa

Post by TritonBrent »

Putah Canyon
norcalracer

Post by norcalracer »

If you are coming down I 5 Markley cove is the closest ramp not bad it puts you near the dam its only about 12 miles from i 505 next is pleasure cove about 6 miles past markley cove will put you in west end of narrows by main body nice ramp, then next would be steele canyon it puts you in main body on south end. all ramps are decent. Theres another one free launc in capell cove then next/last is putah canyon this is the furthest ramp from the dam its prob another 35/40 min. further the down side besides the distance is that they are doing a 20 mile stretch of road construction do not go through this unless you have a bout in the back of your pickup its mostley gravel/rock rite now.
clearlakeoutdoors

Post by clearlakeoutdoors »

The closest from clearlake is the putah creek launch (about 50 miles) but its 24 bucks to launch. I can make it to the free ramp at capell in hour and 15 min, take 29 to middletown and take butts canyon rd.
keeb

Post by keeb »

Not a big fan of Putah Creek. The dirt roads are really brutal on the car, trailer, and boat. That said, caught some quality fish in there the past 2 weekends.

Steele Canyon's launch is currently a bit crowded from 10am-2pm, but outside of those hours easy to launch. It's the closest launch coming over from the Napa side. Launch opens at 7AM.
clearlakeoutdoors

Post by clearlakeoutdoors »

Its paved all the way to putah creek,i don't know what road you are taking that's dirt unless you are going morgan valley rd which is the long way anyway.
Newbassfisherman

Post by Newbassfisherman »

Thanks for all the info I launched out of putah creek yesterday. The water level is depressingly low and really illustrates the serious water problems we have in California. You can only launch on a small sliver of the ramp off to the right hand side as you are driving down the ramp. The rest of the ramp ends right at the edge of the water.

The road work talked about starts at the intersection of pope valley and Knoxville and goes for about 8 miles south. I ended up taking pope valley all the way to Napa and 29 home rAther than drive the 8 miles in dirt. The flag man said the southbound lane was already graded so it would be easier than the northbound lane.

We didn't see a single boat on the water and only 1 trailer in the lot. Only caught a few on topwater but only fished a few hours. Definitely need to get out the lowrance manual and figure out how to adjust for water level. It was hard to translate what I was seeing on my map to what i was seeing