Best reel for punching

Adrian

Best reel for punching

Post by Adrian »

I use 65# braid on a 7'6" very stiff rod. 1.5 oz tungsten weigth
I've been using a old quantum round style reel but the drag started slipping and I lost the only DD I've ever hooked. Very upset!
Appreciate your imputs on brand, model, gear ratio, etc
Adrian
sean alarid

Re: Best reel for punching

Post by sean alarid »

I love my okuma vs-100. Its a 6.2:1 reel that has plenty of drag to pull them out. It also hold a good amount of 65lbs braid.
Bobby D's custom baits
http://www.piranha.com/
http://www.snagproof.com/
http://blackdogbaits.com/
http://www.swimbaitcity.com/
dockboy

Post by dockboy »

The reel is not my main concern when punching. The only two requirements I make of a flipping or punching reel is that it be low profile, and have a solid drag. Since braid has smaller diameter line capacity is not a concern. I just cut back my braid where it frays. Punching is rarely done more than 15 feet from the boat. Even if I only get 70 yards or so of my braid on, it's still plenty enough.
I don't make a distinction on reel ratio. Most of todays reels come with 6:3:1 gears with gearboxes that are equilvalent to an old 5:2:1. I know guys who like a 5:1 ratio for punching to power the fish out, but I haven't noticed a difference in my punching without one. My flipping reels are BPS Extremes. Well priced, fairly lightweight and low profile with a decent drag. If I wanted to upgrade, I probably go to a Shimano Citica or Daiwa Procaster Rojo. Nuthin' too fancy. :)
big_limits

Post by big_limits »

I love the curados in a higher speed so I can wind em' out before they get wrapped up. I also upgrade all my drag disks to dartanium. Makes for a solid, reliable drag
Cody Meyer

Post by Cody Meyer »

The Revo STX 7:0:1. It is an awsome reel with a really strong drag that can hold up to the pressure of heavy braid.
Marty

Post by Marty »

All of the reel mention will work and work fine. What I use is a new reel that came out this year and I like it a lot. It is the Daiwa Megaforce 100TSHL, Low profile, with a gear ratio 7.1:1 and weights 9.4oz and holds more then 70 yards of 65lb braid plus it has a Twitchin’ Bar. The cost is $59.95

I pick up three of this reels for the price of the more expensive ones. If the drag starts to slip (which it has not as of yet but I have not tied into a DD) I put my thumb on the drum/spool.

But I would like to know more about this dartanium disks and how hard is the upgrade?
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I have 3 of those, but I didn't think they had enough power to muscle up a toad out of the nasty... Guess I 'll have to try.
Adrian
Dartanium?
big_limits

Post by big_limits »

Marty wrote:

But I would like to know more about this dartanium disks and how hard is the upgrade?
They are upgrade drag disks you can get from most shops that do reel repair. Alot of the new shimanos already have them. Most reels have felt or "carpet like" drag disk in them. We all know what happens to the spots in ur carpet where there is high traffic or where the legs of the couch set. They get flat and worn out. I'm not sure what dartanium exactly is, but it's like a carbon substance. It increases the lbs of drag on ur reel and is silky smooth from light to heavy drag pressure. If you know the components of your reel it's just a swap(that's why I always buy shimano cause I know how to work on them) and they are like 8-10 bucks a piece, or most reel repairman can do it for you. They will turn the inside of your reel black, but is easily cleaned and well worth it. Fisherman's warehouse has them and i'm sure many others do as well
sker13

Post by sker13 »

I use a Cardiff 200 shimano/766. It works great. I guess some people need low profile but not me. Lock down the drag and your in for some rib bruising hook setting action. $100.00 maybe less if you hunt around.
There's One, Sterling
Hardcore Bass Apparel
hcbass.com
Ricky-S

Post by Ricky-S »

I have been punchin for some time now (6 years) and the reel is not a big concern. If available, you do want a faster speed reel anytime you are flipping so that you can turn the fish.

I use TD Advantages-but I use them for everything. I've got like 30 of them and they have never failed me.

Find a reel that you like and make sure that you can lock down the drag so that it doesn't slip.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Ok, after going everywhere and trying a lot of different reels, I settle with the accurist 500 pt. Seems very solid and it's got a flip switch which i think could be a big advantage, it fits confortably in my hand as suppose to a round reel. for a $100 think is a great deal...Time will tell.
Adrian
Phil

Post by Phil »

GARCIA 5600 C4

JIGS