Beware of Jiffy Lube....

Share vehicle info.
Byte_Me

Beware of Jiffy Lube....

Post by Byte_Me »

A tv station in California did an undercover investigation of Jiffy Lube....here's the report

http://mfile.akamai.com/12924/wmv/vod.i ... 3.200k.asx
Skeeterman

Re: Beware of Jiffy Lube....

Post by Skeeterman »

Wow what a bust. I heard of people having trouble with jiffy lube cross threading the oil pan nut but thats about it. Thanks for the info.
Ken C.

Post by Ken C. »

Two things...

First off I never have them do the "recommended additional work" because most of it is bogus anyway and they just want to pad their days "take". Now it looks like they're really padding it!!

Next, where in the heck is our illustrious California Bureau of Auto Repairs??? They should be all over this one!!!
[i][b]To the world, you might be just one person. But to one person, you just might be the world...[/b][/i]
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/shred1080/misc/Disclaimer.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Kadota.jpg[/img]
Byte_Me

Post by Byte_Me »

Unfortunately these days, it appears to be quite common among all service related business from automotive to healthcare and not just limited to Jiffy Lube....they just had the misfortune of getting caught on camera.....
Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

This happens at boat shops too. I used to work for a crook that did this so I quit and less than a year later he was out of business and in hiding!

Kevin
sTony

Post by sTony »

I go to one of their competitors regularly and each time I drive in the guys take my air filter off and show it to me and give me the speel about how I really need a new one. Funny thing is the one they took off and show is one I bought from them not long ago. I worked in the automotive industry in my distant past and I know what an air filter looks like when it needs to be replaced. These guys would change it out for you each and every time if you weren't aware of what they look like new as opposed to just slightly used.

Hopefully the district manager got fired and the manager's for each location down there that ripped off it's customers also got the boot out the door. There really is no excuse and they give everyone in the industry a bad rep.

sTony
DAKINE198

Post by DAKINE198 »

Here is the problem, most consumers go to these "Quick lube" places becuase they don't want to pay "dealer prices". But in reality some of these places gouge consumers more than a dealership would. Service writers and technicians make there living by "upsales" or recommending repairs there is no doubt about it. But if you have a relationship with your service writer, local mechanic it must be built on trust. I would never rip off one of my customers and I hate to see stories like this even though they do happen. I recommend O.E.M. parts over aftermarket parts thats my job, there are a lot of knock offs out there so beware. Some are "just as good" and most are plain CR**. I deal with Honda but have lines to most every make. Need parts give me a call. I'll be happy to assist :D
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

I use to go to one of thier competitors and they said i needed a new fan belt. Well it was a little cracked so I agreed to have them replace it. Three months later go back in and the guy says you need a new fan belt, I said sure sounds great, since you just put on a bad one three months ago I guess you will do this one for free. You would think they learned from the "error" but next oil change...well you guessed it!
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Gator

Post by Gator »

I have to say the funniest one I had was on my last truck I had a K&N filter (dont replace it, just clean and re-oil it). It had been less than a week since I cleaned it when I went to one of those quick lube places in the Bay Area. The "technician" said that I need a new air filter and a new PCV valve since oil was going into my air cleaner. I asked him if he saw the sticker on the air cleaner that said "K&N AIR CLEANER - CLEAN ONLY - DO NOT REPLACE". He stammered and got his manager. I ended up getting a $10 oil and filter change and was sent on my way.
CORAL 96

Post by CORAL 96 »

I remember when I lived out in Discovery Bay for about 4 years. I used to frequent the one in Brentwood. Had the oil changed a few times there in the winter, but most of the time did my own. I had my container full of used oil to dump which most places don't charge to dump it. Brought it over to Jiffy only to be told I'd have to wait 1/2 hour before I could dump the old oil. Ended up going somewhere else to get rid of it!!! :?
Terry Smith

Post by Terry Smith »

Always ask for the old parts on any repairs that you have done that way they can't say they replaced it if they haven't. When you pick up your vehicle go over the parts with the service writter and if you are happy with the service then have the service writter take the parts they should be happy to do so.This will keep most srevice techs honest when they know the owner wants the old parts.

Terry
http://www.basscat.com
http://www.tntbaits.com/
Lounge Lizard Extreme Bass Fishing
(916) 719-7225
L.Hackney

Post by L.Hackney »

Good idea Terry, I have went there before but up in No.Cal
I go to a speedy now, wonder if they don't do things as well????
http://basscat.com/

http://mossdale-boats.com/

http://placervilleflyfishing.com/

http://luckydoginc.net/

http://www.eyesurrenderonline.com/
marklar

Post by marklar »

i try to avoid the quick lube places. why you ask? there is just something about getting your fan belt replaced and having it come off while driving by san luis reservoir that doesn't appeal to me. its amazing how hard it is to negotiate a turn when you have no power steering.
bass smacker

Post by bass smacker »

I have always called them iffy lube.
There almost as bad as pep boys
Many Moe and on Crack
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

It's goofy lube
punk bass
bass smacker

Post by bass smacker »

holy poop was some one going throue old post 8)
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

bass smacker wrote:holy poop was some one going throue old post 8)
I was napping
punk bass
Shore Hunter

Post by Shore Hunter »

I went there once. Will never go back. Only take my truck to the dealership. Although expensive, I can rely on them to do a good job.
TIGHT LINES!!
drilltrash

Post by drilltrash »

took my truck there and they crossthreaded the oil filter and busted the o ring and had oil flowing out. never again.
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

Can someone give me the short version? I can't view it
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
smworker1

Post by smworker1 »

I can't get the video to play but it's probley like what the Oakley "free meat with purchase of tires" chain tire store tried to do to me.
Took my car into them to get front end allinement (after I had just replaced the upper and lower ball joints, and wheel bearings).
They called a few hours after I dropped it off and said the front end was wore out and needed to be rebuilt, I informed them that had just been done by someone else.
They then said quote "I think you got taken because the ball joints are origional and covered in dirt"
I proceded down to pick up my car and take it elsewhere, to never return
Byron

Post by Byron »

When did Jiffy Lube start doing alignments ??
drilltrash

Post by drilltrash »

i believe hes talkin about les schawb and i've had a simliar experience and will never take anything there again
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

Most Jiffy Lubes are independently owned but they are still pressured by corporate to meet a minimum $ amount per car. Some locations try and meet that amount and some don't give a damn.
There are some good Jiffy Lubes out there and there are some bad ones.
One Jiffy Lube location that is honest and doesn't try to up sale unless you actually need the part is the Jiffy Lube on the North end of McHenry in Modesto.
The Jiffy Lube in Oakdale used to be nothing but crooks but that was several years ago but they may have changed.

I doubt a Dealer is any better then any quicklube. Their technician(s) have about the same experience and if any business has a reputation of being crooks its auto dealerships.
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

HERE IT IS ON YOUTUBE.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
sTony

Post by sTony »

smworker1 wrote:I can't get the video to play but it's probley like what the Oakley "free meat with purchase of tires" chain tire store tried to do to me.
Took my car into them to get front end allinement (after I had just replaced the upper and lower ball joints, and wheel bearings).
They called a few hours after I dropped it off and said the front end was wore out and needed to be rebuilt, I informed them that had just been done by someone else.
They then said quote "I think you got taken because the ball joints are origional and covered in dirt"
I proceded down to pick up my car and take it elsewhere, to never return
I had a similar experience with Les Schwab in Oakley and will never return also. They'll rip you off and give poor service to boot.

However, the Les Schwab in Brentwood has never let me down and treated me very well. Different ownership makes all the difference.

sTony
drrakruz

Post by drrakruz »

Went to Auto Zone to buy a qt. of oil today to top off my vehicle before a smog inspection. I have been performing oil changes on all of my vehicles for the last 30 years. Last time I bought a quart of an off-brand oil (which was only a couple of months ago), I paid about $1.75. Today, to my surprise, a quart of oil, brand or off-brand, was pushing $4. So I walked out. Went to Kragens down the street thinking it might be a bit cheaper, but, as I assumed, same price there as well. My ace-in-the-hole was Wal-Mart. I usually buy oil there in a 5 Qt. container for about $11. Their qt. price was about $2.50.

Anyone who pays Jiffy Lube for an oil change might want to think about doing it yourself. That way, you know it's being done right, and everything else is untouched. Might also want to think about stocking up on the 5 qt. jugs before Wal-Mart catches on and raises their prices as well.
Sponsors:
M & M Marine, Lincoln, CA
[img]http://www.evolutionmarine.net/images/mercury.logo.gif[/img]
PLAY HARD AND FLOOR IT!!