Bones and all you other smokers.....

basstamer

Bones and all you other smokers.....

Post by basstamer »

guys I realize this is an unbearable habit-I chewed for many,many years and I know how it gets a grip on your throat and it dont let go, B U T I have to share the call I got at work today. My Dad called me and asked that I come out to his place (only about 2 miles from work)-I knew by his shuddering voice it wasnt good and I cant begin to tell you how many things went thru my mind in a short 3 minute drive! I wont drag this on too long but like probably everybody else on here my dad was the baddest of them all in my eyes....33+ years as Firefighter/Captain with the Merced City Fire Department-always the knight in shining armor-I still remember the pride I'd feel at Carrer days at school cuz yeah my dad was the most popular....he always been the best just a real mans man-I could only hope my kids were ever half as proud of me as I have ALWAYS been of him. Anyways while for 33 years he breathed smoke from every kind of fire imaginable it looks like the little cigarette is whats got him. He was told at 1130 this morning that he has cancer of the esophogus and while it looks like its in the early stages and that his odds look good so far-its still Cancer. I cannot begin to tell you how this has allready devastated our very tight family-I now have to go home and tell my kids the news-how I am going to do that I still cant figure out. I just want each and every one of you fellas that smoke to think about your children being in my shoes right now-yeah I am 40 years old but this is still my dad! I am not writing any of this for pity or to try and shame or degrade anyone but instead to show you that everything your loved ones have been preaching all these years is true.Some may say that cigs had nothing to do with it and hell maybe they didnt but it cant possibly be worth all this. My dad turned 69 on July 4th and he is now faced with the fear that he may not see 70-this is the man that first put a rod and reel in my hand,the same guy that was by my side when I shot my first buck,pheasant,quail,duck,etc-you get the picture. I am not sure what I am trying to say here....congratulating you that have made the decision to quit or warning those that think "it wont happen to me" but I hope this just makes you think-really think about the pain your family would feel if faced with this. I am very optimistic pops gonna be around for many,many moons but there is always the possibility tht he wont and that I just can't swallow. Tight lines my friends-God Bless
Calistar

Re: Bones and all you other smokers.....

Post by Calistar »

BT,
I am very sorry that you got such terrible news. I went through the same thing with my Mom and my Mother-in-Law. Both smokers and both ended up with the big C. Its a tough road, but you will be suprised what you can deal with when necessary. Learn as much as you can about this disease...it will help, trust me. Its the unknown that is the scariest. There a tons of good websites out there. Unfortunately they are needed.

Hang in there and enjoy every moment together. You sound very close to your Dad, so I'm sure that won't be a problem.

I am sending You, Your Dad, and Your Family my prayers ...
MIKE TREMONT

Re: Bones and all you other smokers.....

Post by MIKE TREMONT »

Hey Basstamer, I know how you feel I went throught the same thing with my dad.

I trhink Greg gave you some good advice. There are so many alternative ways that can make a difference.

Don't forget PRAYER. I ain't know bible thumper, but I believe prayer is the most powerful tool at our disposal. You just have to believe and know that the powers that be know what's right.

Take care
I had to come back...I know...