Broke 200hp Optimax Lower Unit

BlueLineFishing

Broke 200hp Optimax Lower Unit

Post by BlueLineFishing »

Hello all,

So today I was fishing in the delta and i heard two loud knocks coming from the motor. I was getting up on plain, but not at full throttle. I got up on plain and was going about 45mph and BAM! a loud knock, motor dies and boat quickly stops because the prop is siezed up. After a 3 hour long adventure getting back to the dock, I pulled the boat out and found a dime size hole in the left side of my lower unit, as if whatever broke shot out from the inside. The motor will not crank anymore, but you can hear the starter clicking. HELP! I dont know much about outboards other then the basics. I dont understand why the motor will not crank when its in neutral and the prop spins freely.

Thanks for your time.
Attachments
20170708_153815.jpg
20170708_153822.jpg
BSmith

Re: Broke 200hp Optimax Lower Unit

Post by BSmith »

Sounds (looks) like the pinion gear broke and your vertical drive shaft may have seized. Don't crank or try to run you will only increase the cost of repairs. You need a good mechanic. Probably a lower unit rebuild with other internal damage. Been there twice not so cheap
Trace

Post by Trace »

That exact thing happened to me. But, my boat still ran. If the gears are locked up the engine won't turn. You can remove the lower unit to see if the motor will turn. I would bet it is fine. Unfortunately they can't fix the lower unit with a hole in it. Atleast as far as I know. You can try to find a used one from a dealer or order one from sei. about 900.
Trace
185vsfrog

Post by 185vsfrog »

Happened to me this year too. Either find a used rebuild (with warranty) or buy a factory lower unit (with warranty). It's supposed to be an easy replacement (4 bolts). With some luck your top end should be fine. Prob be a $1200-$2500 fix depending how you wanna handle and whether you go new or rebuilt. Swap it out and keep fishing!
drew

Post by drew »

You need a new lower unit. Buy Mercury and not SEI (china). You should try to find out the root cause. Often it is water intrusion.

The lower unit needs to have its gear oil and water pump changed once a year. Also the prop needs to come off twice a year to inspect the prop-shaft for braided line wrap.
BlueLineFishing

Post by BlueLineFishing »

Thanks all for the reply. Took the lower unit off and the motor turned over as expected (Didn't try to start it because there is no way to run water to it). The drive shaft is obviously jammed and not allowing the motor to turn when installed. I just ordered a new SEI lower for just under $900. The thousands of reviews I read about SEI lowers were all 5 starts. Plus it comes with a 3 year warranty, even if I happen to hit a rock and damage it.

This makes me feel a whole lot better that I don't have to replace the motor. :D
Trace

Post by Trace »

Glad to hear you will be back on the water soon.
Trace