carolina rig crankbaits???

Pat_P

carolina rig crankbaits???

Post by Pat_P »

heard something about this before and tried making sense to it but im having some trouble. wouldnt the crankbait just dive straight into the bottom the whole retrieve or something else go wrong? is this effective? if so wat leader length are you guys using and wat depth does the crankbait originally run at? any other tips that might help? im thinking of giving it a shot, probably go to clear lake and try this, if it doesnt work there right now, i wont bother usin it anywhere else!! :twisted:
gt5bass

Re: carolina rig crankbaits???

Post by gt5bass »

Pat,

I played with this years ago...the idea is to be able to fish crankbaits or jerkbaits deeper and a little differently than normal.

You usually use a floating bait versus a suspending bait so it will float back up from the bottom when you stop pulling. You can c-rig crankbaits or jerk baits in 30 feet of water if you want...how many fish see cranks that deep? that is kinda the concept as I understand it.

I used to do primarily with Rapala's. I would fish them like a standard c-rig...I would pull the bait a few feet, let if float back up...pull it again to dive down towards the bottom and bump something...repeat...repeat until bit or you hang up those trebles and lose the bait (big drawback to technique...you will hang lots of baits).

Good luck and have fun!
[i][color=green]It is what it is[/color] :|[/i]
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Re: carolina rig crankbaits???

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

A friend of mine would take his crankbaits that he had busted the diving lips on and grind them off fluch with the nose of the lure..Then either add a screw eye or use the one on the lure to attatch it to his Carolina rig..This only worked with floating type lures..It did somewhat affect the action of the crankbait, vary its wobble somewhat, but as he was only moving it several feet at a time it wasn't a major concern..

I have never tried it, but I plan to the next time I break the lip on a floating crankbait..My friend said he has had fair luck with it, meaning he has caught fish using the rig, but not a lot compared to a regular Carolina rig with a soft plastic bait..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
RogerB

Works for suspended fish...

Post by RogerB »

There was an article a few months ago in Bassmaster about guys back east who were having success on suspended bass using Carolina-rigged jerkbaits. Since the presentation is well up in the water column, hanging up isn't an issue. It's unweildy to cast and works much better with spinning tackle.
Please practice CPR (catch, photo, and release)
...RogerB