Castaic Lake - North Wind

micropterus

Castaic Lake - North Wind

Post by micropterus »

Been blowin' since Monday. Looks like the lake has been closed. Bass have the week off. Probably back on the job this weekend. Be up there on Monday. :D
Have some fun out there .... Enjoy that time on the water !!
callwakeup

Re: Castaic Lake - North Wind

Post by callwakeup »

They were chewin good in the wind last week!
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

It still makes me laugh that the close the lake because of weather... I mean I have seen it blowing and i guess i understand why they are inclined to but still.....
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
micropterus

Post by micropterus »

Webcam shows white caps in the Ski Arm (1:00 pm - Friday). Been blowin' Mon-Fri this week. Lake's been closed all week, I would think.

This wind direction creates waves that break at the main launch ramp. Creates an unsafe launch/retrieve condition.

One time when I was fishing a strong north wind came up in the afternoon. Fished a pretty good spinnerbait bite for about half an hour. Big yellow/white boat guys said 'Allright All Boats Off The Water". Had to leave biting spinnerbait fish, Daaaaang!! I came in to main ramp and saw 2 foot Plus waves 'breaking' on the ramp. Looked like surf. Also, two lifeguards in full length wetsuits standing on the docks ready to assist.

I managed to come in and turn around and get close to the dock and tied off bow and stern. Ran up and got my truck/trailer. Drove back down and the wave action ripped the stern stantion right out of the fiberglass top cap. One of the lifeguards was hanging on to my boat as best he could.
I hopped into the boat and I was able to fire the big motor, untie the bow rope, bounce around in the waves, get turned around, lined up and managed to "belly flop" the boat on the trailer. Ran up and cranked up the winch strap. Could of used one of those wetsuits about now. Hopped into the truck, pulled the boat out and waved thanks to the lifeguards.

That's why they close the lake on a north wind day.
The average boating enthusiast would not be able to deal with a similar situation.
Have some fun out there .... Enjoy that time on the water !!
tankyota

Post by tankyota »

True story. Anyone who's fished Castaic when the north wind is blowing understands that the problem is the launch ramp. It faces north and has nothing to slow down the rollers.
I've seen complete disasters with tournament boats trying to get off the water in 4 foot waves.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

A wave attenuator would certainly help tame those waves. Seems to work at most lakes throughout the country. Why not Castaic. Its been proposed for years and still nothing! Any FOCL guys wanna chime in on this?
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Brian D. wrote:A wave attenuator would certainly help tame those waves. Seems to work at most lakes throughout the country. Why not Castaic. Its been proposed for years and still nothing! Any FOCL guys wanna chime in on this?
I know Lory, the person in charge of the lake when I left two years ago, had been trying to get a log boom for years. Three governmental bodies are involved with Castaic (LA city and county, plus the State), so there's just a ton of bureaucratic BS to wade through.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Brian D. wrote:A wave attenuator would certainly help tame those waves. Seems to work at most lakes throughout the country. Why not Castaic. Its been proposed for years and still nothing! Any FOCL guys wanna chime in on this?
YUP - Brian gets it, I have fished Castiac during a northern and Clear Lake as well when the wind is pounding the launch, but the log jams and sea walls keep the luanch areas safe....oh yeah and launch is FREE :mrgreen:
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

If they opened the West Ramp earlier in the year, it would help. It is calm during a north wind.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY