Clear Lake this week....11/26/2014

DanIsaac

Clear Lake this week....11/26/2014

Post by DanIsaac »

This week, Four Dirty Words:

Yes, it is that time of year once again. Winter is upon us and the bite for most begins to get really tough, as a result the kids don’t want to go fishing anymore. That or parents just don’t want to deal with bored, disgruntled children on a chilly day. Well, this is also the time of year when you can really treat your kids, wives/girlfriends, or even pops to a great day on the water. You can go out late and it won't matter!

Why?

I’m going minnow fishing! Four lil words that most certainly turns some off, ok, but really, it’s not always about tournaments. Sometimes it’s about fellowship or family, or at least in my opinion it should be, and this technique almost guarantees a great day on the water with a friend or loved one. After all, it isn’t really important what you use, rather using what you do use responsibly. The following is how we choose to do so, and while there are many tricks/techniques, these ones will get you bit with little to no trouble to speak of, and will also protect the resource at the same time. Yes, you will catch fish, and some good ones at that!
Couple of notes though;

1) Please use this time to teach CPR (catch-photo-release) and why it is important to do so with all of
your co-anglers. Take plenty of photos and make it fun.
2) While making sure to take plenty of photos, please do not live well your catch, get em’ back in the
water as fast as you can otherwise your fish may need to be fizzed. Plus, you will have played them
but and they are extremely fragile even in the dead of winter. So revive em’and get em’ back
in the water.

Ok, that said, plan on at least a dozen minnows per angler per day. Jumbo minnows should be your choice this time of year, and I prefer to use a minnow bucket, though you can use your live well. Choosing to use your live well you should also make sure you have a bait net so your sleeves are getting wet all day long.

How about hooks? One pack of hooks per angler per day will do just fine. My personal preference is a size 4 circle hook, or size 2 finesse drop shot hook. For me, smaller is always better.

Line? 6# to 8# fluorocarbon is my choice. I do not like braid for this type of fishing.

Weights? Two types, a small split-shot, or a 3/16 tungsten bullet weight. What? 3/16 oz? Yes, this is the weight I use for a finesse Carolina minnow rig which you would rig on a spinning rod complete with bead and swivel. The only thing that differs from a standard Carolina rig in this instance is the hook, and bait choice.

Bobber? You have three to choose from. A clip-on, a crappie bobber, or a slip float bobber. Personally, I prefer the crappie style bobber.

With the above you can put together four separate types of rigs. A split-shot rig, a Carolina rig, a drop-shot rig, and a bobber rig. So, which do you use? Well, that’s merely a personal preference. I prefer the split-shot and the Carolina rig myself. Others prefer the drop-shot or bobber rigs. All catch fish, and there’s really no wrong way. A general rule; bobber, or split-shot shallow, four to fourteen feet of water or so. Carolina and drop-shot, deeper water, ten to twenty five feet of water.

How do I hook em’? Right up through the bottom lip and out either nostril.

Two keys, one is using the rig which allows the bait to move as freely as possible, thus extending their liveliness, which makes them even more effective. Two, two is using the set-up which is the easiest for the kids, girlfriends/wives to use. For me, this has always been the bobber rig. It minimizes re-rigging every five minutes and makes it easier for you to help the lil ones when they are getting bit.

In closing I would urge anyone with a child to get em’ out and let em’ experience this much maligned technique. I guarantee, you’ll hook em’ on fishing much quicker with one of these lil swim baits than you ever could with one big boy swim bait.

Now, as for us grown-ups. You want to test your angling skills? Spool your reel up with 4-6# test
and go for it, you’ll learn more than you think, and you will also see just how well your equipment will perform on “big fish”, or as in most cases, how it doesn’t. Isn’t it always the reel’s fault?

Happy Thanksgiving and GOOD LUCK!
Attachments
CIMG0702.JPG
IMG_0657.jpg
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
kam

Re: Clear Lake this week....11/26/2014

Post by kam »

Nice jago bay turkey! :wink: