Clear Lake Virgin/Advice

birdi23nls

Clear Lake Virgin/Advice

Post by birdi23nls »

I am planning to go to clear lake this coming week on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. I have actually been there once and fished for a few hours with limited almost non-existent success. There is a chance of rain on Friday and Saturday. Wind is 10-13 mph. I know clear lake is known for being impossible to fish in high winds.

What do you guys think. Is this trip doable? Would you postpone it if you were me? How do you think this fishing would be on those days. And advice and I mean any information whatsoever would help me a greT deal.

Thanks

Jared.
Jared
e-mail: Birdi23nls@aol.com

www.mayhemlures.com
Larry Hemphill

Re: Clear Lake Virgin/Advice

Post by Larry Hemphill »

I believe the rain is scheduled for Tues and Wed. Usually the day after is windy and much cooler. All of next week is supposed to be cooler. Next Friday and Saturday probably will be your best days to fish. The lake is usually calmer in the morning. The size of your boat (I assume you are boat fishing) will determine the areas you can fish. Yesterday afternoon and last night were ugly - very rough!
birdi23nls

Post by birdi23nls »

Larry Hemphill wrote:I believe the rain is scheduled for Tues and Wed. Usually the day after is windy and much cooler. All of next week is supposed to be cooler. Next Friday and Saturday probably will be your best days to fish. The lake is usually calmer in the morning. The size of your boat (I assume you are boat fishing) will determine the areas you can fish. Yesterday afternoon and last night were ugly - very rough!

I have a 19'6" triton. I'm not two sure if it can handle the abuse. What do you think? Also, I'm you don't mind me asking...how's the bite. Do you think they will still be actively spawning or has the main waves already spawned?

Thanks

Jared
Jared

www.mayhemlures.com
birdi23nls

Post by birdi23nls »

I just took a look at me weather app. Partly cloudy on Thursday 72 degrees.

Friday, 30% rains and 67 degrees.

Saturday, chance of rain and 61 degrees
Jared

www.mayhemlures.com
Larry Hemphill

Post by Larry Hemphill »

I understand the spawn was happening at the north end and just starting down south. A cold front will usually delay the spawn for a few days, especially if the nights get much colder. We need a good warm spell to get it going below the narrows, but that isn't in the picture after Easter Sunday. Most Nor Cal lake spawns are an on/off again event, and take place over a period of time.
Bsapp

Post by Bsapp »

This time of year you can go down the bank and pitch senkos and throw a drop shot and catch alotta fish. If it's windy I'm sure you could hit those windy banks with a rip bait or a crank and catch some good fish. Lotsa spawned out hungry fish already. Glide baits (s-wavers-deps-ganncrats) are hot baits right now up there also. You can find fish in all three stages of the spawn right now. Stop by Clearlake Bait n Tackle down south or up north go see Clearlake outdoors.
birdi23nls

Post by birdi23nls »

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll let you know how it goes.
Jared

www.mayhemlures.com
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

OMG>. .. i soooo want to make joke here.. Hold me back... musttttt .. notttt... aaaahhh
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
Larry Hemphill

Post by Larry Hemphill »

The forecast has changed - maybe a large storm heading in for Fri and Sat. We'll see!
basstin wailer

Post by basstin wailer »

I too am new to Clear Lake. I've make 6 trips now from late Feb-now.... I haven't really slammed them guys, and would love to find out what I need to do to get into some numbers. I'm all about size, but size will come with numbers at CL. I have been throwing a MM robo on the dropshot, weightless wacky senko, and the a-rig (swim bait, crank, jig, texas rig mixed in)..... mixed results with all the baits. I've been fishing south out of redbud, and staying in knocti or down by cache creek. I did catch a 8.5 one day on the t-rig flappin hawg, and plenty of 4s and 5s on the drop shot, but never caught like 30 fish in 1 day. Best day was about 20 with a 6, 2 5's, 3 4's, and 4 3's. Nothing really to get that excited about..... right now I know you can see em.... is that the best bet? should i be crankin? if so, where??!?!? any bank you say? I saw 30 boats lined up in cache creek on saturday, given the wind was HOWLING, i'm sure they have to be back in the creeks. I'm fishing alone, and would love some additional info. also, details on the set ups is key i think.... i'm using braid with a 6 foot mono leader (15 lb). thoughts? tying all reaction baits straight to braid.... thoughts?
birdi23nls

Post by birdi23nls »

Ya, with the storm, my trip is cancelled. Hopfully just postponed.
Jared

www.mayhemlures.com