Disco Bay 01/02/07

TTCal

Disco Bay 01/02/07

Post by TTCal »

Hit Disco Bay yesterday. Weather was fabulous, but I couldn't locate any fish. Puttered around just about all the bays on the west side of Disco looking for baitfish. Found one small grouping at the opening of one bay but couldn't get anything to bite. I was throwing jerkbaits, lipless cranks, a hair raiser, and swimbaits.

One home owner mentioned he saw a sea lion hanging around (I didn't see it all day) so perhaps it chased away all the fish.
Dennis "Cal" Shew
Enthusiast Tackle Editor
Tackle Tour : The Angler's source for tackle news and reviews
www.tackletour.com

[i]fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside[/i]
Hitman

Re: Disco Bay 01/02/07

Post by Hitman »

Dennis, Thanks for the report...have you heard of any other striper bite anywhere else in the delta? I have 2 buddies coming down from Reno this weekend and want to put them on fish. I'm up at Clear lake thru Friday so I cant do any scouting on the delta prior to our Sunday trip.

Let me know...thanks!

Hitman
Hitman

Fish Hard Films
TTCal

Post by TTCal »

I've heard some guys are fishing further north-east up around Hog and Sycamore.. maybe even Snodgrass (sp?), but I haven't heard any direct reports from those areas.

Saw a couple of other boats in Disco on Tuesday too and it seemed nobody was finding them - everyone I saw was in search mode.
Dennis "Cal" Shew
Enthusiast Tackle Editor
www.tackletour.com

Burke

Post by Burke »

Hitman,

I've fished both Hog and Sycamore last Friday (12/29) and this past Tuesday (01/02) and it is real slow up there.

On Friday, 5 of us in 3 boats fished Sycamore for about 15 man-hours and got 2 bites. We threw a lot of stuff and the 2 bites were 3-4 lb stripers. There were a lot of boats in Sycamore and everyone that we talk to weren't getting a lot of action. My buddy and I fished Hog for about 2 hours and got no bites. There were 3-4 boats of fly fisherman in same area that we were fishing but they weren't catching anything either.

On Tuesday, my buddy and I fished Sycamore for about 2 hours and got no bites. We went to Hog and I got the only 2 bites of the day -- one was a 3lb black bass and the other one was a very large striper that made several runs up and down the slough before my line broke. We're guessing that it went over 20lbs because I couldn't stop him from running.

The previous weeks were great for stripers in Sycamore. We limited out everytime in an hour or less, but all of sudden there are no fish there.
TTCal

Post by TTCal »

thanks for that report Burke. I was torn between Disco and Sycamore for my trip on Tuesday and finally let the gas prices decide - hence Disco. But of course, I was wondering how the bite might have been if I went to Sycamore/Hog/etc. instead. At least you got bit though. :)
Dennis "Cal" Shew
Enthusiast Tackle Editor
www.tackletour.com

Hitman

Post by Hitman »

I fished the tower park bridge last week and spooned up to nice ones (8 and 5 lbs). but that was it too! Fished some other areas in the Mokulume with no success. Even the B&W bridge which is almost always a place I can catch some schoolie sized stripers produced nada! I did notice that the Mokulume stained pretty good to which I know will shut down the striper bite.

Im thinking of trying whites and dissappointment on Sunday.

If anyone hears of a bite before the weekend plz post!

Thanks

Hitman
Hitman

Fish Hard Films
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

My family and I should be on the water in DB launching out of Orwood by 0900-1000 tommorow after I get lisc. for my wife and I.

I have a certain side picked out already to consentrate on..... But I have also been looking at a bright full moon the last 4 nights in a row while I have taken the dog out to relieve himself.

I have no idea how this will impact fishing tommorow-- along with the 20 degree cooler temp than yesterday...... But we can not fare any worse as we have been blanked the last 3 times we have been out. Image

The boys are chomping at the bit to go out tommorow !! Wish us luck. Image
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
TTCal

Post by TTCal »

Goodluck DE, but be careful. The wind forecasts today sound pretty treacherous. Might want to think about postponing a day or two if you can.
Dennis "Cal" Shew
Enthusiast Tackle Editor
www.tackletour.com

DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

Thanks- but we are still home. Wind is blowing to hard and cold for everyone's comfort. May try this afternoon if it dies down- but tommorow's forecast looks alot better.

Monday is going to be a great day to go out also.
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

We got skunked today- but it was a Beautiful day on the water and the boys had a blast the whole time and the wife never said she was to cold to often.

We fished four bays and Kellog on the west side of DB from 1000-1330 and then the east side from 1400- 1640.

Oldest son used rattle traps and jerk baits, Youngest son plugged a swim bait, and I stuck with jigs and drop shot.

The water temp was only 44 degrees preaty much in all bays and channels. The last bay we fished in was 20-25' deep and I concentrated on dropshoting. The only fish we marked today were in that bay suspended at 13'-18'

Did mark alot of baitfish at the Indian DB entrance.

Some person that that I talked to back at the ramp was able to find warmer water (47) and got 5 on a fly-rod.

We want to go out Monday- but Monday is the wifes birthday and she wants to do something "more special" :roll:

ACRon

Post by ACRon »

Based upon the pictures you had a great day with your fishing partner. More bites would have been good but you can't go wrong fishin with your bud.
TTCal

Post by TTCal »

Those are some sweet photographs DE! Hope you're able to find the fish next time. In the meantime, Happy Birthday to Mrs. DE .. :)
Dennis "Cal" Shew
Enthusiast Tackle Editor
www.tackletour.com