Dobyns 766 champion flipping questions??!

Steve-o

Dobyns 766 champion flipping questions??!

Post by Steve-o »

Is this rod good for anything other than punching? Is it a worthy frog, jig rod? I found one for sale just curious thanks.
tbass858

Re: Dobyns 766 champion flipping questions??!

Post by tbass858 »

I've thrown the frog on mine a few times and thought it was fine. Personally I think it's too stiff to be a jig rod.
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

The 766 Flip is my personal Flipping rod choice. It has enough tip for pitching smaller baits but has plenty of power for any type of punching. It's a great flippin stick. I would not use for frog rod or jig rod. We have far better choices for these techniques. The 766 is a great flippin stick but has too much power to be versatile frog or jig rod.
DDG

Post by DDG »

Gary Dobyns wrote:The 766 Flip is my personal Flipping rod choice. It has enough tip for pitching smaller baits but has plenty of power for any type of punching. It's a great flippin stick. I would not use for frog rod or jig rod. We have far better choices for these techniques. The 766 is a great flippin stick but has too much power to be versatile frog or jig rod.
just curious your opinion on why a 766 is too heavy? personally I know I dont have the years of experience but ive been using a 766 and 765 for jigs since for a long time, i feel like that heavier rod helps me drive that hook better when the fish bite it when im not expecting it.
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

I agree with driving the hook home for sure with 766 Flip. But, if you're talking about fishing or dragging a jig there's a lot of other rods that we make that still have power to drive hook home and much easier to fish than the 766. I will say that anglers get used to using different rods for different things and it works for them. So it comes down to personal choice. If you really want an "over powered" jig rod the Champion 735 and 736 are to brute choices. I fish Lake Fork in TX and it's all trees. It freaks me out not having some power in a rod so I can win the pulling battle. I throw a lot of 1/2 oz jigs on 736C there. Just some thoughts.
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

Thanks for the responses guys. Getting my first flipping rod, found the 766. I wasn't sure if it is too stiff. Now I know more about what qualities a flipping rod embodies. I'm looking forward to getting this rod and flipping. Thanks Steven
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

Gary Dobyns wrote:The 766 Flip is my personal Flipping rod choice. It has enough tip for pitching smaller baits but has plenty of power for any type of punching. It's a great flippin stick. I would not use for frog rod or jig rod. We have far better choices for these techniques. The 766 is a great flippin stick but has too much power to be versatile frog or jig rod.
Thanks Gary, I appreciate you answering. I haven't owned a rod like this and I know there are less powerful rods like 765. I don't think the power of the rod was an issue. Reading random online chats. Some people like it some like the 765. Its a personal thing. But if i ever need to do some punching I'll be set up. I like to fish 3/8 ounce jigs. I was confused about having more tip, but in a flipping stick like the 766 the rod is setup differently as far as the way it loads so it would be stiffer overall compared to any other rods i have. Now that you said it has some tip. I understand more. Can't wait to get this rod. It's the previous version champion series. Thanks again..
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

I like a heavier action jig rod as well and Gary steered me to the 735c - awesome choice for stroking the 1/2 - 5/8oz football head jigs like I do. I have also found it to be great for pitchin 1/2oz jigs and yankin them out of tulles, is the tip a lil heavy for 3/8ths? maybe but if you can rollcast your pitches it's not a problem IMHO.

The 735c Flippin stick is great for pitching and flipping I seem to top it out at 1oz weight but does killer for everything in between and is good for small 6" Osprey swimbaits and carlonia rigs when not flipping.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/