dove counts week before 09 starter

XMAN

dove counts week before 09 starter

Post by XMAN »

went out last thursday in my usual dove counting spot near antioch and right now i should see during the last 1/2 hour 100-200 birds--i counted 4, yep just 4 on a overcast day--whatever was here left sunday and monday--bob simms saturday show this morning reported alot less birds in valley than 2 weeks ago, which i definately confirm--was also out at holland tract on tuesday nite and counted 8 birds near alot of euchaliptus trees-----XMAN
Dan McKenzie

Re: dove counts week before 09 starter

Post by Dan McKenzie »

yes it looks meager out there. I was hiking from my blind on the north side of the property this morning and only counted 4-5 pairs, din't see more than two birds together at any time. With the numbers so low we decided no dove hunting on our property this season. Quail on the other hand have benefited alot from our improvement to the natural springs, there are some nice covey's waiting to be thinned out. And speaking of needing to be thinned the cottontail and bush bunnies are thick as thieves. On another note this years acorn crop is dismal and the deer and wild boar are going to take it on the chin hard this winter due to the lack of this important food source. We need rain!