espn host calls fan idiots ?

Shawn

espn host calls fan idiots ?

Post by Shawn »

I was watching a debate on espn[wishin I was fishin] this weekend about what goes into choosing a one angler for his achievments.I was well shocked to say the least when a host said that fans were idiots ! I thought about it for a bit....watched the response and looks on the faces of this round table and then decided to promtly change channel!That host should lose his seat.I love bass fishing but I will not watch that idiot again.He might be a good stick, but it takes more than that to be good in the eye of the puplic.I know most of you were out on the water trying to stick some hogs and I hope some of you will take the time to type up a short story.I'm grittin my teeth
right through my gums on thruogh to my jaw bone not beeing able to get out lately

Shawn
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Re: espn host calls fan idiots ?

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

Dare I ask, who was the host that made that statement..It really doesn't matter all that much, as ESPN should be relying on a fan base to support them..You sure as heck won't build much of a base by calling the people you need idiots..Chances are the host let his alligator mout overload his hummingbird rear end..

mac
smileee

West Coast Guy ? *NM*

Post by smileee »

Tony Stoltz

Post by Tony Stoltz »

Let's not tke Skeet's coments out of context. He was talking about basing the votes on statistics and not popularity and said if folks were voting on popularity then they were idiots.

I wouldn't think on this subject too much. Sometimes when the cameras are rolling on athletes you get the company line. Skeet has always been a 'shoot from the hip' type of guy and usually speaks out about how he honestly feels about something. So he called some voters idiots, it's certainly not the end of the world and won't take anything away from the fact that the man flat out catches fish when most can't and catches them just about anywhere. Maybe the comment was regretable for most but I'm willing to bet that Skeet will just keep on rolling and doing what he does best, which is catch bass with a consistency second to none. He surely isn't going to lose any sleep over how some might feel about it. And that's a huge part of why he is the most consistent angler on the tour currently, little stuff doesn't bother him and get in the weay of him fishing.

Sometimes we as bass angles are idiots. All too often we want to get into debates about who the best is when really we're literaly surrounded by a great many absolutely awesome anglers that I am in complete and total awe of their abilities. Trying to figure out who 'best' is is likely an idiotic, debate filled quest of frustration.

Looking here in the West we have so many high skilled anglers it hard to put them in order. Dobyns is 'the man' as far as tournaments go but we also have the likes of Gliebe, Murray, Martens, Barrack, Lee, Rizk, Monroe, Tyler, Siemental, Moore; there are so many more very well honed anglers that this list could go on forever. Regionally we have folks like Payne, Thomas, Uribe, Swearingen, Davies, Van Grouw, Gaunt, Howell, Cuccia and again the list goes on seemingly forever of guys that flat out catch a lot of quality fish.

Let's not even get started on the guys that 'broke ground' for us many years ago that we just don't seem to name or remember of that many don't even know because they backed off tournament fishing years ago. AND let's not forget that some of the best anglers in the world never bothered to fish a tournament and you don't even know of them.

So let's all just keep fishing and get past this stuff that has nothing to do with the sport we all love.

sTony
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

I did not watch the show, nor hear the comment, but if it were made in the context you indicate, then Skeet and I agree..The ratings really should not be a popularity contest..We have all seen the results of "all star" voting that placed people on popular teams ahead of obviously better players..Bass fishing in all honesty hasn't reached the level where we can apply really good objective statistics other than tourney placing and special awards (AOY)..I don't really know if it can be done..I know that Bassfan is attempting to do so, but I think they are also losing sight of some fishermen that should be on their list, but are not..

mac
Amador

Be easy on Skeet.

Post by Amador »

I understood what Skeet was saying because I know his personality and I agree with him, but I could easily see how his comment must have come off to to Johhny Angler sitting on the couch. Ignorant would have been a better choice of words. The voting stations that are set-up for this proccess are in places that the likely voter will be an average person who like to fish, but does not know what it takes to compete on the tournament level. The only people on the list who they have probably ever heard of are Bill Dance, Roland Martin ect. All he was saying is that the general public is probably not the best group to vote on the greatest angler of all time. I think that should be an honor left to people in the industry who understand what it take to win classics and such.
Scott

Skeet's the man-if he said it he had a good reason!

Post by Scott »

Like Conlow says-he is a fisherman just like us....not a diplomat. He is a Professional athletes others are out there taking drugs to make them better,having affairs with women SUPPOSSEEDLY against their will,etc-I am POSITIVE someone like Skeet will survive something this minor and he will soon be bringing home THE trophy to California. Everybody needs to just chill out and relax and remember he is human just like all of us and I will damn sure gaurantee you I have slipped up a time or two saying things that woulda been alot better off not being said ;). Tight Lines ya big babies now get out there and go fishing and quit yer gossipin about THE man!
Scott
Wally

Give Me A Break

Post by Wally »

That statement was WRONG no matter who said it. The audiance is mostly young people learning from the pros. If you are defending him? I can't believe it.

Wally
Tony Stoltz

Re: Give Me A Break

Post by Tony Stoltz »

We're not going to get all wound up over this and have it lead to the dreaded "I word", are we? Seems like a lot of fuss about nothing. Taken in context he was pretty much dead on right. The process is idiotic to begin with but if you have folks voting for 'the cutest angler' then I'd say they were idiots also.

Once again guys, Skeet didn't say fans of bass fishing are idiots. Geez!

sTony
troutnut

MOST people ARE IDIOTS!!!

Post by troutnut »

All you have to do is drive from Sacramento to the Bay area in the morning to see living, daily proof!

Most of the people I work with are idiots.

Most of my customers are idiots.

Anyone who would be a close friend of mine is most assuredly an idiot!

My name is Brian, I am an idiot too. I have been an idiot all my life. It has been 2 days since I last did something to prove I am an idiot.
Andy Giannini

Re: MOST people ARE IDIOTS!!!

Post by Andy Giannini »

> You are right 100% about driving! A great percentage of the drivers ARE IDIOTS PERFORMING DEATH DEFYING STUNTS ON OUR ROADWAYS!

Sorry about the caps and shouting, had a bad driving day.

Regards,

A.G.

P.S. Skeet is the man.
Jim Conlow Sr.

You got a laugh out of this Idiot Brian *NM*

Post by Jim Conlow Sr. »