Evinrude ETEC In-Line Fuse Keeps Blowing

Bassfishman

Evinrude ETEC In-Line Fuse Keeps Blowing

Post by Bassfishman »

Ive got a 2006 Evinrude ETEC 200 HP motor on my Ranger that has blown the 10 amp in-line fuse several times. When this happens the engine trim won't operate and the engine wont turn over. If it blows while the engine is running the engine will keep running but the trim no longer operates and after the engine is turned off then it wont turn over and start again until the fuse is replaced. Ive got a new group 29 battery with clean electrical connections for the engine functions including the starter and the engine trim if the engine is not running and that battery also operates the boat accessories like the electronics, live well pump, etc.when the engine is not running.

Anyone have any tips or clues on troubleshooting this kind of problem? Thanks!!
Big Stick 74

Re: Evinrude ETEC In-Line Fuse Keeps Blowing

Post by Big Stick 74 »

You have a short somewhere in that circuit.Best thing would be to do is get a schematic of that circuit and narrow where the problem may be or find a certified mechanic that is knowledgeable in your motor. Could be something very simple or could be a nightmare depending on where the short is.I would start at the inline fuse first. Good Luck! Hope you get it figured out!
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Electrical issues can be a nightmare to find. Depending on where you live I can probably recommend a great tech to help with this. Let me know and I’ll try to help. Big Stick 74 really spelled it out for a starting place to look. .
zdbm2004

Post by zdbm2004 »

Are your electronics and other accessories off this fuse or is this the motor fuse only? What's the voltage at your electronics or gauge? If any of the wires that have new connections have crimps that have been done incorrectly by biting on more insulation then wire you will increase amps. Just like if you stripped away insulation and took out a bunch of strands with it. If it starts fine, runs down the lake and trips a fuse, I'd think your increased load is due to the wires heating up over time by one of my said scenarios or it might be in the diagnostics of the engine. Hopefully its not the ECU.
Good luck
zmyers