Favorite Froggin Rod

Wild Bill

Favorite Froggin Rod

Post by Wild Bill »

I 'think" I have been good this year, and want to be ready when "Santa" says "what you want for Christmas this year", so I need to know what rod you like the best for fishing hollow-body Frogs and Rats with...

Please explain why you like it, and what they cost.
Thank you all very much !!
Share fishing with someone
basstamer

Re: Favorite Froggin Rod

Post by basstamer »

I have both the Lamiglas and Kistler frog rods-both are nice rods but I prefer the Lamiglas....to me the Kistler has no tip and it isnt as easy to "place" your casts with it-its alot like a pool cue ( Iam NOT bashing Kistler-just my .02) Both are comparable in price which I believe is about $170.00. Alot of guys on here talk about Steve's rods.....might be worth trying one of his-I believe its about the same price plus your supporting a fellow nutcase. Good luck with your choice-
Scott
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

Bill, I have one of Steve's flipping rods..If this rod is any indication of what you will get with one of his frog rods, then all I have to say is by all means get one..I don't think I have ever used a better rod, I know for sure I have never owned a better..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
Mark Hiser

Post by Mark Hiser »

If your not in a big hurry, you might hang on a little while, and have a look at some new products coming that are on the way!!
They will be worth a look :D
Mr. Dobyns is bringing out a line of his own. They will most certainly be Stylish :D , Performance Based :D :D . and Competitively Priced :D :D :D

Mark Hiser
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Call and talk with Steve Biechman, 530-604-5277 (steve@stevescustomrods.com) he will make you a rod with most any blank you want.. I have a MBR844 loomis blank he made up that is super in handling and controling fish. Runs around $250.00, if I remember right. Worth talking to him. Bill K :)
Fun fishing the country, each and every week.
gt5bass

Post by gt5bass »

I fish two of Steve's Custom Frog Rods. One is built for fishin' in the trash and the other for more open water. Love them both. Give him a hollar or an email and see what he can do for ya.
[i][color=green]It is what it is[/color] :|[/i]
gt5bass

Post by gt5bass »

CJ,

You really take it easy on them ol' Carp you keep snaggin' :shock: That spray paint can't be good fer the lake :roll:
gt5bass

Post by gt5bass »

'cause even Ol' Hub can read the "truth" :shock:

BTW...You up at the big pond? I should be up there early afternoon tomorrow to git the wife.
Ken C.

Post by Ken C. »

gt5bass wrote: I should be up there early afternoon tomorrow to git the wife.
Shood I be fyrin up the Road Kill Grill there, Kuz??? Clem N' Luke is bringin the fiddle & banjo, so I figger we kin put yoo on da base!!!

[i][b]To the world, you might be just one person. But to one person, you just might be the world...[/b][/i]
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/shred1080/misc/Disclaimer.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Kadota.jpg[/img]
Wild Bill

Post by Wild Bill »

I got quite a bit of time before I'd even need my frogging rod because here in NY, the frog bite is just about totally over for the year now, as both air temps and water temps are lowering.

May not even need it until next May when I re-visit California once again then.

I want to thank everyone that has given input, and hope to hear more, as I LOVE frog/rat fishing.
Ken C.

Post by Ken C. »

NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!!

If you have to, launch a 1/4lb down-rigger ball through the ice...

I've heard and read enough stories that tell me the frog bite (topwater) never truly ends! I guess the trick is to never put it down!
[i][b]To the world, you might be just one person. But to one person, you just might be the world...[/b][/i]
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/shred1080/misc/Disclaimer.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Kadota.jpg[/img]
tommypV2

Post by tommypV2 »

Hey Bill -
whatever you get, don't pass up the opportunity to get two.. One for open water and one for fishing in the junk.. you'll want a bit more tip for the open water.. and for quality, stop throwing them rats.. and really learn the soft walk/slide.. I've learned a bit more since the last time you saw me - quality and numbers have gone up since I got a lesson from the master....
aka TommyP - old school NCBF
Wild Bill

Post by Wild Bill »

Tommy,
Good to hear from you buddy, and THANKS SO MUCH for the awesome day of fishing this past May on your boat, as it was a much need HOOT for me. Hopefully you can give me a lesson of what you learned when I return this coming mid-May to CA again, as we do not have a strong contingent of 'froggers' here on the east coast [or if we do, they keep pretty damn silent] to learn anything from.

The frogging bite here on the east coast STANK this year, as we had a very cool August and September[which usually are our best two months here for frogging].

Interesting that several guys here have now mentioned that one reallly needs two frogging rods for different water conditions, but I guess that makes some sense, especially since your froggin season in CA is so long compared to ours on the east coast in NY.

Thanks again, Tommy. You da man !
chris ball

Post by chris ball »

bill,
get a lamiglass magnum grass rod this will handle all that you can do with a frog..trust me.
as far as open water use 60lb braid and in heavy cover 80lb braid if you have any questions you can email me and we can talk froggin and what might work in your neck of the woods.

good fishin
chris ball
George Roth

Post by George Roth »

I've been building frog rods with the Lamiglas blanks, mostly the IMC 966T. There is some tip in the blank but lots of backbone to move the fish. I built one for a client in the NE and he has done very well with it while fishing tournaments. There is a shorter version, the IMC 906T, but I haven't built a rod on that blank, yet.

One of the advantages of purchasing a custom rod, from whomever, you can get the handle length, reel seat, guides, etc. that fit you best.

Good luck.....George
Feel the difference...a custom rod makes!
Nlvbassin

Post by Nlvbassin »

George,
I thought for a minute you were going to say the P7000, LOL

Randall B.
Riplip

Post by Riplip »

Hey, CJ's right...I seen him ketchin lotsa nice frogs wit dat rod!

Man dem critters kin fight! :lol:
If you always do what you did, you will always get what you got!

www.californiaresrvoirlures.com