Filming while fishing

jakeauc

Filming while fishing

Post by jakeauc »

Hey guys, curious to get some ideas on how you all film while fishing. I'd guess Go Pro is going to be the most popular answer, but curious if anyone uses a cheaper setup. Want to know the best way to get into it, and how to manage film storage wise on longer trips.
Rod Martin

Re: Filming while fishing

Post by Rod Martin »

me too. I want to know how to do videos to learn what Im doing wrong
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
rico

Post by rico »

I have no experience with one, but how about a cheap dash cam?
ElGuapo

Post by ElGuapo »

I've got a GoPro Session as my back up camera. Does everything I need it to. $149 on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/GoPro-CHDHS-102- ... B01C80O0ZU

That and a 32GB card and you should be good. I run mine in loop mode all day and just hit the button to save the last 5 mins when something notable happens.
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

ElGuapo wrote:I've got a GoPro Session as my back up camera. Does everything I need it to. $149 on Amazon.

That and a 32GB card and you should be good. I run mine in loop mode all day and just hit the button to save the last 5 mins when something notable happens.

So thats why you go over and punch out the camera after each fish. Here I thought you were just taking out your frustrations on catching little fish :wink:
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
ElGuapo

Post by ElGuapo »

Rod Martin wrote:
ElGuapo wrote:I've got a GoPro Session as my back up camera. Does everything I need it to. $149 on Amazon.

So thats why you go over and punch out the camera after each fish. Here I thought you were just taking out your frustrations on catching little fish :wink:
:lol:
That too!
jakeauc

Post by jakeauc »

Thanks for the info on that, thats a kickass feature! I had a HD Hero2 that I lost to the Delta, but it was a pain trying to turn the thing on and off all the time, and it would die in only a few hours. Then I would have to search through all the footage to find 30 seconds worth. How is the battery life on the session?
ElGuapo

Post by ElGuapo »

jakeauc wrote:

Thanks for the info on that, thats a kickass feature! I had a HD Hero2 that I lost to the Delta, but it was a pain trying to turn the thing on and off all the time, and it would die in only a few hours. Then I would have to search through all the footage to find 30 seconds worth. How is the battery life on the session?
I left out one detail: I have a usb charger plugged into my 12v cigarette lighter style receptacle so not relying on battery life. Otherwise the main disadvantage of Session vs. Hero 4/5 is battery life.
Bassin247

Post by Bassin247 »

I've just started to experiment with action cameras and fishing and tried out a cheap action camera called the Yi Action Camera 1080p US edition. It was $82 shipped from amazon with prime and the video quality was great for the money. The extra batteries were cheap as well. I bought a decent 64gb micro sd card and was able to record most of my fishing day with battery changes. I also bought an Anker ultra high capacity battery bank to charge the batteries. I was very impressed with the battery bank as it charged the batteries pretty quickly and had plenty of juice to charge it more and my phone. The only bad thing I learned later was the sound quality is not that great, especially in the waterproof casing. The internal microphone is extremely tiny and the waterproof case muffles a lot of when I'm trying to talk.

Here's one of my vids to give you an idea.

So I decided to pony up and get a GoPro Hero4 black and an external microphone. In hindsight, probably should have bought a gopro from the beginning. The Hero 3+ Silver isn't that expensive and that also accepts external mics so that's an option.

Another option is the Gitup G2 action camera on amazon. It's like ~$120 and does accept external microphone setups. Though I just learned that a new version of the Gitup G3 is coming out soon too.
kopper_bass

Post by kopper_bass »

in case you haven't seen or used these, there are power mount poles you can use for your boat.
They plug into the light pole on the back and can use the battery power of your boat. that way, you never run out of power and can run all day long.

We use them on the leaders of the BestBasssTournaments trail.
https://yolotek.com/collections/frontpage
they also have full kits, with pole, gopro, memory card, and cables - 1 stop shopping.

Kopper_Bass
Nobody remembers who came in 2nd place. Fish Hard - Play Hard!
ElGuapo

Post by ElGuapo »

+1

I've got the yolotek as well. Works great. But you gotta remember to collapse it before taking off. It's only good up to 50MPH.