Fishing and Obamacare – Hidden Tax!!!

Marty

Fishing and Obamacare – Hidden Tax!!!

Post by Marty »

On 1 Jan 2013 the “Affordable Care Act” takes effect – remember it was enacted 23 March 2010 – and those famous words from Nasty Pelosi – “you have to pass it to find out what is in it”. If you think we aren't getting hosed.....you haven't seen anything yet….. I'm sure hunting and fishing enthusiasts will love this!

“The 2.3% Medical Excise Tax that began on January 1st is supposed to be ‘hidden’ from the consumer, but it’s been brought to the public’s attention by hunting and fishing store Cabela’s who have refused to hide it and are showing it as a separate line item tax on their receipts,”.

Manufacturers Taxes
The following discussion of manufacturers taxes applies to the tax on:

Sport fishing equipment:
- Fishing rods and fishing poles =10%
- Electric outboard motors = 3%
- Fishing tackle boxes = 3%
Other:
- Bows, quivers, broadheads, and points = 11%
- Arrow shafts = 11%
- Taxable tires = $.0945 per each 10 pounds of the maximum rated load capacity over 3,500 pounds.
- Gas guzzler automobiles = 10%
Go to page 31 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p510.pdf
mark poulson

Re: Fishing and Obamacare – Hidden Tax!!!

Post by mark poulson »

Marty,
That's the price we have to pay for universal health coverage.
Otherwise, people who can afford it live, and those who can't die.
Sounds extreme, but that's what it boils down to.
It's in this country's interest to keep our population (work force) healthy and productive.
If you think it's too expensive, ask a doctor or a pharmaceutical company or a hospital or an insurance company to charge less.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

marty are you trying too stir up fear again keep it in the other forum gezzzz :lol:
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Building and fishing custom jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
Marty

Post by Marty »

This is fishing related – we are talking about the additional taxes that will have to be paid to continue out sport. The claims that Obamacare is going to be good for middle class families and that it is was right thing to do were wrong.  Right now, the health care law he has put in place is doing much more damage to the middle class (all of your fishing buddy) than it is doing good.  There are many ways that ObamaCare has significantly burdened the middle class people. When they were trying to sell it – it was to cover the 20 million who had no insurance but now with Obamacare you have 30 million non-elderly Americans without health insurance.

Anyway, It was cold the other day I seen a Democrat put his hand in his own pockets.
Mark Hiser

Post by Mark Hiser »

mark poulson wrote:Marty,
It's in this country's interest to keep our population (work force) healthy and productive.
If you think it's too expensive, ask a doctor or a pharmaceutical company or a hospital or an insurance company to charge less.
Wrong forum, but oh well.
Mark, you know a lot of those that are dieing that were thrown out of the ER?
And were they really part of the workforce?

People live then they die.... just the way it is. Some born rich, some not. Been that way forever, always will be.

I think lots of things are too expensive, so I make choices. I would also choose to not pay for others healthcare, I already pay for my family's and mine.
You are right though, with the current attitude we must endure to live in this country, those of us that work and try to get to the point where we can enjoy some of it don't have a chance. Aw hell, that's right, I did not really work for it anyway. I forget that our Newest Saviour and Enlightened one told us that.

What would be awesome is if all the folks who think that there are those who really need some type of assistance would just step up and use their own wealth to take care of the issue, and leave me and others like me to take on the issues we think need attention.

Great day to rant
Mark
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

The vast majority of unissured are working poor, who hump their a$$ every day and can't afford health care. And the children of people who don't work are still children. They don't deserve to suffer for their parents' lack of effort or initiative.
Maybe it's because I'm older, but I remember when doctor's lived in the same neighborhood I did, and made house calls. You stayed at home when you got the chickenpox, and your house was quarantined, with a sign on the front door. You didn't have to go to the hospital for everything, or even to a doctor's office. If you were sick, they came to you, and you didn't sit in a waiting room, sharing germs with everyone else.
When hospitals were allow to become "for profit" in the late '50s, health care in this country became a money making proposition, not a service for everyone. That's when health care "insurance companies" formed and began squeezing everyone for their profits, and the doctors all moved to Beverly Hills.
Think about it for a minute, having to choose between making your rent, and being able to take you kid to a doctor.
What's wrong with this picture?
CLEAN AND DRY
mrobinett

Post by mrobinett »

Thanks Mark. I was going to warn you the other day, but didn't. Now this thing will never end. Thanks a lot. :D
Mark Hiser

Post by Mark Hiser »

I knew better than to get into this :)

Do not worry Mark, your side is winning so you can be :D

You are older? So does that mean you got yours already?

I also remember quarantines, my parents took me to the neighbors to catch whatever was going around. Is there an issue with these kids getting those diseases? I had not heard of this, in this country anyway. Not every doctor moved to Beverley Hills, heck I even know one personally and he still lives here in the country.
Life is not fair :( :( :( But, I know there are millions and millions of folks who can sleep better because they have all the folks such as yourself working tirelessly to make sure they have all the same things as the folks at the top of the hill. I have to say, I don't work my *** off anymore, but there was a time when I did, so does that mean I can keep my money?
Yes, healthcare in this country is stupid expensive. I am not sure how making me pay for someone else, will make it cost less, unless you mean to start writing the checks to hospitals and doctors to control the amount they get. (This where Obama really wants to get to). You know, force all doctors to provide services to everyone and pay them $50,000 a year. Yea baby, sounds good to me!!!

I do appreciate the thought process that goes along with making me "Suffer" because the kids should not subjected to their parents "lack of effort or initiative". So I should?, well crap, does that mean I also have to go adopt a puppy and a cat? What about the starving kids in Ethiopia? or Africa or?????? Seems like the same thought process that made Me a Killer and Criminal after the last mass shooting, because I own guns and belong to the NRA. Heck, before that moment in time, I was just a guy who likes to hunt and fish.

I reckon we will just always disagree. I just wish folks such as yourself would look at paying for your feel good projects without telling me that I need to feel bad because I make the wage I do, or have the things I have. We are not pulling those in poverty up, we are simply dragging ourselves down. My healthcare plan costs went up, I have less in my paycheck today, so I spend less, so some of those folks who were working, won't be soon.

And in the end....... we are all gonna die.

Have a super sparkly day

Mark
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Life is too short to be chicken$hit. Or, "Do unto others..." Take you pick. It all comes down to how you see the world.
CLEAN AND DRY
Topwater Terry

Post by Topwater Terry »

well, one of you guys is absolutely 100% correct-wrong forum, which seems to be a theme with this supposedly "fishing" message board...
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Well Topwater Terry Do you have a bone to pick with this message board. They have a lot of posts on fishing. very few on other things.

So is this just a chance to slam this board or is taxes on fishing items really not something that should be on a fishing board ? :roll:

Now on to Marty. Marty , are these taxes that are in obama care or just taxes we have had on fishing gear all along? if in obama care, are they taxing other specalty items also?
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Mark if is to keep our work force healthy. I will put some in. BUT if its going to go to 2nd,3rd,or 4th generation welfare, or people that . dont care to work ( would rather collect Gov. money than work) I would just as soon you folks that feel inclined to give money away just use your own.
and let me keep mine. if its for some person that didnt have 2 parents, couldnt finnish school. Then I'll keep mine and you dont have to give me any.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Rod Martin wrote: Now on to Marty. Marty , are these taxes that are in obama care or just taxes we have had on fishing gear all along? if in obama care, are they taxing other specalty items also?
Rod, you should know better than to ask a question if you don’t know the answer!

Go to page 31 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p510.pdf - it takes you to Publication 510, of the IRS. Then on the front page it tell you it is Obamacare. I know the rules – it has to be fishing related to post here – if it was not I would have post in the Political section.
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Marty wrote:
Rod Martin wrote: Now on to Marty. Marty , are these taxes that are in obama care or just taxes we have had on fishing gear all along? if in obama care, are they taxing other specalty items also?
Rod, you should know better than to ask a question if you don’t know the answer!

Go to page 31 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p510.pdf - it takes you to Publication 510, of the IRS. Then on the front page it tell you it is Obamacare. I know the rules – it has to be fishing related to post here – if it was not I would have post in the Political section.

There, There. :D I'm just egging you on. You know how I feel about this stuff. Bsides if I ask that question. you have to come on and give that answer. :shock:

I'm going to start buying my fishing stuff used. And deduct 10% off asking price so I'm not paying the tax
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

This is a list of excise taxes administered by the IRS. The excise tax on sport fishing gear was authorized by the Sport Fish Restoration Act of 1950, also known as the Dingell-Johnson Act. It imposes an excise tax on fishing gear that is used to fund sport fish management and restoration grants to the states. It is in place to improve fisheries.

A similar act was passed for hunting programs and wildlife restoration. It is called the Pittman Robertson Act. It created an excise tax on firearms, ammunition and archery equipment. The excise tax on firearms, ammunition, and archery equipment is used for grants for wildlife management and hunting programs. Much of these funds are used for places like Gray Lodge Wildlife Area, Los Banos Wildlife Area, Delevan National Wildlife Refuge, etc.. This excise tax (except for the archery equipment provision) is not administered by the IRS. It is administered by a branch of the US Treasury, so it does not appear on IRS 510.

These excise taxes have nothing to do with Obama Care.
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

Glenn you are 100% right in your explanation and Marty of course is wrong again but if he would have did some research he would have found the exact same thing glenn explained so Marty go back too the political forum where this belongs. Get over it really there 12 more years of democratic rule you better get use too it. :lol:
Last edited by jiggin4bass on Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Building and fishing custom jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Ok looks like this covers it.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/taxes/medicaldevice.asp

Trouble is. with obamacare if it is'nt true today , it could be tomorrow.
TEAMDEADMONEY

Post by TEAMDEADMONEY »

well said mark!!!
PeteMarinoGuideService.com
drew

Post by drew »

I want to respond, but its not really fishing related. Move it to the political forum and those of you who are wishy washy liberals follow it over there.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Close it!
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
Jeff C.

Post by Jeff C. »

LOL Marty you fell for it again! Why are you so gullible? Oh well, without people like you no one would pay attention to Fox News, Glenn Beck, or the Republican party. Anyone executed by those death panels you were warning us about yet? :lol: