Fishing CA Delta April 10

AKBASSFISHING

Fishing CA Delta April 10

Post by AKBASSFISHING »

California Delta 4/10/2018
Water Temp 60-64
Visibility 1 – 4 feet
Wind 5 – 15 mph

Another little front is moving through the area… better go fishing…

Got out on the water around 7:00 in the morning. Conditions looked great, overcast skies with a light breeze. We had high hopes for the day, but were cautiously optimistic.

Made a short run to our first spot. The tide was just bottoming out, and we could see clean weeds with clear patches all around. This area was sure to be a spawning flat.

After some pitches with the Senko and no bites, my father switched to a drop-shot and almost instantly got bit. He set the hook and his rod doubled over. A good five-pounder thumped on the deck (definitely set high expectations for the day with that fish).

Knowing the fish are most likely shallow, I switched to a frog. Working along weed edges seemed to be the most effective compared to working over the weeds. This yielded me my first frog fish of the year. Solid three-pounders seemed to like chomping the frog.

Around 11 is when the wind started to pick up, we switched tactics in favor of reaction baits. A craw colored crank worked well, but the spinnerbait seemed to consistently get the nicer fish.

For the remainder of the day, we worked our way to the Central Delta. The bite was very consistent on the weed flats near spawning grounds. We picked up lots of males when casting closer to shore, but backing a few yards off the same area and casting to the outside weeds got us the bigger females.

Overall, we ended the day with around 19 pounds for the best five. Fishing was consistent throughout the day, but when the wind picked up, the fishing was even better.

Senkos, Drop-shots, and frogs worked best when the wind was calm, but when it picked up, crankbaits and spinnerbaits did the rest of the damage.
Attachments
20180410_091049_HDR-1 (2).jpg
20180410_153235_HDR (2).jpg
Kyle46N

Re: Fishing CA Delta April 10

Post by Kyle46N »

Great day and great report! You're doing the right thing by getting on here and being one of the few willing to post up a report. I appreciate that, and I know others do too. Hope you get back out there soon and catch some more.