Frogs on a mat scaring fish

bigfoot55

Frogs on a mat scaring fish

Post by bigfoot55 »

Question for you all, I've had some issues this month with spooking fish under the Mat with a frog. It doesn't matter where I put the bait, behind the fish, in front of the fish, or on top of it. as I work it out I can see he mat rumble a the fish swim away. I've never really had this issue, last year it would happen few and far between, this year it almost a guarantee. Any help would be appreciated.
kraetzer

Re: Frogs on a mat scaring fish

Post by kraetzer »

Sure those are bass and not carp?
Even if they are bass, if they are that spooky your probably not gonna catch them (at least not in mats) - just my opinio .
kraetzer

"I am ready to face any challenge that might be foolish enough to face me" - Dwight K. Schrute
bigfoot55

Post by bigfoot55 »

Pretty sure there not carp, after a minute I'll throw back to the same spot and they are back as if they were suspending there. I've had it happen before but not as bad as this year.
FISHLIP WASHINTON

Post by FISHLIP WASHINTON »

Seen alote of carp do that
2013 RANGER.
MT

Post by MT »

I ran into a guy on the water years ago on the Delta that told me he would throw a big flip flop sandal on a mat and see if it spooked the bass. If he saw movement he would come back with a frog a little later and fish it. If nothing moved he wouldn't bother fishing it. Not sure if he was BSing me or not.
Kyle46N

Post by Kyle46N »

I think they might be carp. We were fishing a big mat the other day that and the same thing was happening. I would be hopping the frog along, and the mat would swirl as if a fish was spooked. But we also caught 15 bass off that mat at the same time, and they were killing the frog. So, putting two and two together, I have a hard time believing there were very spooked bass under that mat...and super aggressive bass, all in a 40 by 40 yard area.
Popper

Post by Popper »

Carp
WRB

Post by WRB »

When bass are done feeding and close to a mat area they suspend in groups tight together under the mat canopy. These bass are inactive in close to a "sleeping" state.
You just need to remember where they are located and go back a few hours later and give them another try.
Tom
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

Definitely carp. They love hanging on the surface late spring and summer. They scare easily, and scare me when I see them kick and move a bathtub amount of water under my frog. :shock:
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
milehi

Post by milehi »

when carp spook they're gone, bass come back, betting bass
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

milehi wrote:when carp spook they're gone, bass come back, betting bass
they get beamed up? :lol:
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
bavnuts88

Post by bavnuts88 »

Stay on those fish, they will hit a lot of the time. I do this in the cheese mats on the delta. If i see one move like that, I "wiggle" the frog in place as much as possible without moving it from its spot. Last weekend I caught probably 5 doing this.
bavnuts88

Post by bavnuts88 »

Forgot to mention all of the ones I have caught like this are smaller bass, nothing substantial yet