Going to buy a used boat, things to look for?...

Freefall

Going to buy a used boat, things to look for?...

Post by Freefall »

I've been fishing from my Tracker duck boat and though it works, it's not ideal. So I'm going to start looking for a boat. I'd like to find something that will last me several years, 4 stroke, 18' minimum. This will be my first glass hulled boat so before I start picking a boat I thought I would get some advice.

What would / do you look at/for (specifically) on the boat? Obviously aside from leaks.

Do you have a shop go through it and the motor top to bottom?

I dont want to end up buying someone's problem.

Boat recommendations are welcome.
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
WB Staff

Re: Going to buy a used boat, things to look for?...

Post by WB Staff »

Where are you located?
Freefall

Post by Freefall »

Lodi

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
DarWise

Post by DarWise »

The best advice I can give you through my own experince with buying a used boat is to make very sure you get a mechanic to thoroughly check the motor. I got caught up in the asthetics of the boat and didn't do any research on the motor and ended up putting 3k into keeping it going. I finally ended up buying a good used Mercury Optimax and junking that crappy Evinrude FICHT. I also looked for dings and cracks in the fiberglass. Minor scratches are fine but dings, gouges, and cracks are difficult to repair bacuase they will never be able to match the color or flake on the rest of the hull. Also consider the condition of upholstery and carpet. Sure you can have those items replaced, but the cost needs to be considered in the asking price of the boat.

Just be careful who you buy from, and don't get in a hurry.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by DarWise on Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
norththird

Post by norththird »

Look at the transom from inside the hull to check for dry rot and check the floor, mainly in
front of the driver / passenger seats to check for rotten wood. This will only be a problem
on older boats that still have wood in them. Good Luck!!!!
Richard - Sonora

Post by Richard - Sonora »

So, the gents above me have provided some good advice on the boat itself. I would also advise you to have the trailer checked out. After all, your bote doesn't do you any good if can't get to the water!! Pay attention to the axle, bearings, brakes and hitch hardware. If your axle is out of alignment you will have loads of trouble. Wiring and lights are important but less so than these other items. (there is some experience speaking here!) Richard - Sonora
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

If you looking at really old boat beware of transom issues. Have a mechanic check out the engine totally with compression test also. As mentioned trailers can be huge headache. No matter what brand unless this is a really late model, go through trailer bearings. I'm a big Ranger supporter. They build a solid boat period. If it's dinged up take it to Bragg's Marine in Anderson. He does great work at VERY reasonable prices, plus super nice guy. With Ranger you can give them your serial number and they'll have all info on the boat. If you need carpet, seat skins, locker lids, or any parts, they'll know which ones. Trolling motors wear out after years of beating. But can be replaced easy enough. Boats today are expensive and the used boat market is very strong. Do your homework and then have a mechanic check it out. Be prepared to invest a little money if it's an older boat. It's just the way it usually works. ( But not always. I know of a killer Ranger that just got sold that needed nothing, even though it was 16 years old ) Also, be patient for the boat you really want.
scott39

Post by scott39 »

Gary is absolutely right. Be patient. I searched for 6 months. It paid off!
Dobyns Rods
Freefall

Post by Freefall »

Thanks for the advice. I'm hoping to get things lined up soon and start looking.