Greenhaven Lake - history or background?

Blue_R70

Greenhaven Lake - history or background?

Post by Blue_R70 »

Calling any Sacto historians....

Just moved into an apartment here and am wondering about the background of this little lake in South Sac. In my search for info the only relevant item I came across a reference to a 1970s study on the now extirpated Sacramento perch population in this body of water (back then it was known as Brickyard Pond).

A neighbor told me the lake is filled by the Sacramento River and that there was actually decent bass fishing here ("decent" as it applies to this type of lake, of course) before it was sprayed for unwanted aquatic growth. He also told me that some of old timers in the neighborhood used to water ski in the main lake when they first moved here. I'm sure gasoline powered craft are now a no-no so that nixes dumping the bassboat in the backyard dock.

So anyway, was this once a natural pond that was expanded and developed for the various housing/condo communities surrounding the lake? And based on its former name, was the lake quarried for brick manufacturing perhaps?
Multispecies

Re: Greenhaven Lake - history or background?

Post by Multispecies »

I grew up in the area and really cut by bassin' teeth fishing in both Greenhavan lake and a canal off Florin rd. where lakecrest shopping center is now that we called secret slough. There was also a swampy lake at So. Land Park Dr. & 40th (where Reichmuth Park is now) That was called Mungers Lake, which reportedly had bass in it also. I believe Greenhaven Lake was originally a clay pit that supplied clay for a brick making facility on the Sac. River off Riverside Blvd. and this spot is refered to as the brickyard by oldtimer anglers like myself. When the tide is low you can still see many bricks embedded in the river bank and when the homes on the levee there were built more than one homeowner used these bricks for landscaping.
In the early 70's myself and many of my friends spent hours fishing the lake from the bank. The bass fishing was really good and we caught some nice fish up to 6 lb. We used ultralight rods, 4lb. test and spinners, Floating Rapalas,Mr. Twister grubs and small hula poppers primarily. You could catch as many Sacto. Perch as you could stand on yellow mini jigs. There was a little bay behing the I.G.A. market that was a great spot and a pump inlet where the convalesent home is now that kicked out many a 5 lb.er. In the later 70's when I went to Kennedy High I kept a little pack rod in my locker and would run across the st. and catch an occasional bass on poppers in the shade on the water from palm trees. Ah, the simple life. Of course back then there were plenty of empty lots to access the lake and we did not get run out too often. Sounds like there are not bass there now- is that correct?
I can ramble, huh? Dylan
R.Mac

Post by R.Mac »

I gotta say, this is the kind of stuff that makes this forum really cool! Multispecies' stories of how that little lake used to be really bring back fond memories of fishing small stuff before we had 200+h.p. boats. Float tubes or cut-off jeans were (are) some of the best ways to enjoy the sport, and fishing with the old crap we used to buy at Thrifty's was a lot of fun. Thanks all, Rich.
LuckyToo

Post by LuckyToo »

In the late 40's my buddy's parents farmed along the Sacramento River levee just north of the Brickyards. We bank fished the "Clay Pit" for perch, catfish to 5 pounds, carp to 10 pounds and bass. The perch were used for stripers in the river.
There is still some perch in the lake now. My in-laws have a house on the lake with a small dock. Chum the area around the dock, spring and summer, will bring in schools of perch.
kamm

Post by kamm »

Oh yeah! Here's what to do. One day a week the gardeners open the gate next to the old folks home on florin rd. When there busy, run to the gate and look at the combination.(its a dial lock).
Take a 10 foot flat bottom tin boat, 1 battery and a trolling motor, throw them in your truck. Go before light on a weekday and throw 7'' worms...Have Fun. (partner needed)
This is where I learned my plastic skills. But this was 17 years ago.
Blue_R70

Post by Blue_R70 »

Wow...thanks for the history lesson, Multispecies! Very informative!

According to my neighbor there are still bass to be caught there so it looks like I'll be getting more use out of the ol' jonboat come this spring. Still wish'n I could launch the glass boat in here though...
Multispecies

Post by Multispecies »

Hey Blue,
When you fish there give me a report. I kind of miss that place.
My Dad lives in the Pocket area, I might have to bring a stick during one of my visits.
Dylan
gman20475

Post by gman20475 »

I used to live on that lake in the greenhaven appartments about 5 years ago before I moved to my house in the elkgrove area. I moved there for one reason and one reason only, bass, and the hot chicks that lived there..I was single at the time, me and my girl split up and I needed fishing to keep me busy, so why not...anyway there was, still is some good bass fishing there. I caught several bass over 5 pounds on that lake. They have bass, perch, bluegill, crappie, catfish and it was rummored that a tenant there once caught a 60 pound sturgeon. That was some elder folks that lived their had told me that story, I would not have believed it untill the appt manager showed me a picture. Dont know how that sturgeon got in there but it may have been planted or got in when the lake was built or the flow from the sac river. At any rate I used to walks the banks of the lake in the morning before I left for work, I would use shallow running crankbaits and catch some 2-3 pound bass. During the spring and spawn time I would see some nice 5 - 8 pounders cruising looking for shallow beds. I thought they were carp untill one day I pitch a senko, blind flipped some shallow cover from behind some brush and tick...there she was a nice 7 pound spawner. The appt manager had some aluminum boats with only oars, so I bought a cheap minkota 50 HP at a garage sale and went out on the lake every other day after work, hell I worked from home all the time when I was not traveling working for IBM,so I frequently fished the lake. Their are some nice coves tucked away where nobody fishes that backs up to this retirement home on the other side. Their is one big rock island in the middle and the lake is surrounded by private docks to the pocket area homes. Bottom line, the lake has some nice bass; however the lake where my new home is in Elkgrove has some absolute pigs..for those of you that dont know it, im talking about stone lake in Elkgrove off of 5 and elkgrove blvd. This is a private lake in a gated community..i cant give you my gate code, but dam, there is some big fish there. I have caught a 10 pounder their and some teenager told me he beat my lake record and caught a 12 pounder. whatever, he dont have pics I do..I had posted them a few months back on this site..The lake is well managed by a fish game bilologist and is filled with all sorts of sun fish, carp, crappie, and some type of golden shiners, and crawdads, so these fish are growing pretty big here. My bass buddy dave, who also lives their have planted our old christmas trees and other bio-degratable brush their , I have taken my fiancee out on the pontoon boat and have caught 3-4 pounders on average. Basically a senko, a spinner bait and shallow rip bait works well there. I think the secret is out about this lake and have seen some kick boater/floattubers that probaly dont belong on the lake fishing. I hope they letting the fish go since this is catch and release only, but as well as the lake is managed im sure i will be able to take my unborn son out on the lake to catch a pig with daddy..
Multispecies

Post by Multispecies »

Hey gman,
You sound like my new best friend. Are those pigs staging yet? LOL Dylan
Blue_R70

Post by Blue_R70 »

gman20475 wrote:Their are some nice coves tucked away where nobody fishes that backs up to this retirement home on the other side. Their is one big rock island in the middle and the lake is surrounded by private docks to the pocket area homes. Bottom line, the lake has some nice bass
Thanks for the info and sharing the stories. I looked up the satellite view from Google Earth and see that there are actually three islands on the lake (I have no idea what year it was snapped but there are still many unbuilt home lots in the photo). Two smaller ones are located on either side of the large point on the southern bank of the main lake. I live off the northeast cove right by the larger, oblong rock island with palm trees. The depth at the dock is right around four feet and the water's still cold + muddy--is the entire lake bowl-like (ie, a uniform depth with no dropoffs or underwater humps)? Anyway, after I get settled in a bit more I'll have time to explore this little lake.

Your lake in Elk Grove lake sounds totally great--especially because it's actually managed as a fishery. Back when I was a teenager I fished a housing community lake in Stockton (Quail Lakes) and it held lots of good bass but a large number of them had deformed fins. Probably due to the fertilizer runoff from all the lawns...
LuckyToo

Post by LuckyToo »

More Background.

Back in the early 60's there was a proposal to make Greenhaven Lake a boat harbor similar to Miller Park Boat Harbor. A channel would connect the harbor to the river.
If this was built my home would not be where it sits today.
wetland_wanderer

Post by wetland_wanderer »

Hi all,
I'm reviving this thread to say I'm fascinated by all of your stories. I'm a researcher studying Sacramento Perch and I was wondering if anyone still lives and/or fishes there and knows anything about the current state of fish in that lake? If you want to chat on the phone or email instead of the forum send me a private message and I'll send my contact info over. Thanks!