Guntersville, AL. Report

Dan Davis

Guntersville, AL. Report

Post by Dan Davis »

I have been here for a week and have had pristine weather, until going to the lake yesterday. We were greeted by t-storms, on and off throughout the day. We met our guide at the Citgo Waterfront C-store, loaded our gear and went across the street and launched. As we idled away from the ramp I was checking out the numerous lakefront homes, all with private boat docks and launch ramps and realized that I had just found my retirement spot! We made a short run to a bay and started chunking blades to the traditional stuff on the bank. To my amazment, all we could catch were dinks! I traveled 2200 miles for this! After awhile we moved out to some spots on a huge flat where the guide had marked several key areas on his gps. We were struggling to get bit, just picking up on here & there. He had us throwing 8" Zoom lizards on a T-rig. After an hour of not getting bit, I asked to see his hook and sinker boxes and asked if he has ever tried a Dropshot! He looked at me and just chuckled! I wish I could have gotten a picture of the look on his face when I stuck that first Four pounder! All he could say was " maybe at the end of the day you could show me how to tie that rig"! I eventually went back to the lizard and got a few real nice ones, just one toad that went about Six. As I was releasing that fish my rod started to "buzz" We could see the T-storm moving in from the West and a short while later he gets a call on his cell from his brother warning him that the storm is packing 50 mph winds, with hail. We decided to call it a day at 2:00. All in all the fishing was on the tough side, but still an awesome experience. The word from all the locals was that the fishing has been terrible for the last two weeks. So I guess that you could say that we got em' good!