Help with steering cables

SKIPER

Help with steering cables

Post by SKIPER »

I own a 19 foot Champion with a 200 Mercury that I purchased used in 2001. I am a weekend fisherman who only fishes Castaic and Pyramid once or twice a week. The boat has never been in salt water since I bought it and I don’t fish tournaments.

After 12 years the steering got stiff and Anglers Marine replaced the dual steering cables and helm ($1185.00) in April 2013. In February 2016 the steering again became stiff and Anglers Marine said the two steering cables and helm again had to be replaced ($1180.00). I questioned why they went bad so quickly and basically was told **** happens. A few weeks ago the steering gradually got so stiff that it now takes two hands to turn the boat. The boat is parked outside with a cover that covers the boat, motor and trailer.

I’ve had my boat serviced at Anglers Marine since I have owned it and haven’t had a problem in the past but they obviously are incapable of diagnosing the problem with the steering problem.

Can anyone who maybe has had a similar problem or is a knowledgeable boat mechanic provide any advice before I have to fork out another 11 hundred bucks only to do it again in a couple of years.
fishwithron

Re: Help with steering cables

Post by fishwithron »

My older champ never had that problem and was over 10 years old so replace unit must be defect ?????. If you plan to keep the boat better to go hydraulic won't won't regret it.
triton4bass

Post by triton4bass »

Replaced mine with hydraulic with tilt. Did it myself for $1200. Soo much better
Turkeyman

Post by Turkeyman »

I just replaced my steering on my 98 champion for the same reason.
Disconnect the cable pinion from the helm, (just 4 7/16" bolts) and see if the wheel turns easily; if so then you do not need to replace the helm. Next disconnect the steering cables from the motor and make sure the motor moves freely; if so then it is your cables. If the pinion shaft that holds the motor is going bad that can cause the stiff steering also.
Turkeyman

Post by Turkeyman »

One more thing, there is a number on the steering cables, SSC13515 etc, find that number and get the cables from Amazon. I was quoted $550 for the cables at a dealer and bought them for $375 online.
SKIPER

Post by SKIPER »

Thanks for info guys .. I wish I could afford to replace with hydraulic steering but budget doesn't allow it. Good info Turkeyman but I've already dropped boat off at Lakeside Marine in Castaic (I sure as hell didn't take it back to Anglers Marine). I got a phone call from them and they found O-rings that had deteriorated letting in water causing rust. I was hoping that it was the tilt tube but unfortunately it wasn't that and cables have to be replaced. I wish I had the ability to do work myself but I'm totally mechanically inept. Thanks again guys.