Here birdie.....birdie......chomp!!!

DeltaBassBuster

Here birdie.....birdie......chomp!!!

Post by DeltaBassBuster »

Here birdie....birdie......chomp!!! I enjoyed a nice walk to my back yard at the back end of 14 Mile Slough before it got to hot. I tried several frogs, but could not get bit. I switched to my red wing black bird knowing these birds live in this area and BANG!!

Tip: I do feel after a while bass do get conditioned to seeing frog style lures all the time. Rig a couple "Flip the Bird" lures to give a different profile while using the same presentations. Pay attention to what birds are hanging around the waters in your area.
Attachments
7-26-2014 Flip the Bird Bass at 14 Mile Slough.jpg
7-26-2014 Flip the Bird Bass at 14 Mile Slough.jpg (89.34 KiB) Viewed 1848 times
Caudawg

Re: Here birdie.....birdie......chomp!!!

Post by Caudawg »

I've had a much better hook up ratio with Snag Proof frogs. There are plenty of great colors to "match the hatch" for those times when it's more important (which to me are pretty rare but yeah, on occasion it can possibly make a difference). Hook up ratio to me is more important than colors most of the time.

I also like the folks at Snag Proof... good people who support our industry.

Just my $.02 fwiw
John Caulfield
Big Rock Sports- Territory Sales Manager (Norcal)
Freelance Outdoor Writer
birdi23nls

Post by birdi23nls »

I've had nothing but problems with the flip the bird lures. I ordered from the site two of the mike long birds. I only got one of them. They sent the other in house finch. I called, emailed, everything the owner never returned any of my calls. I even filed a complaint with pay pal. Still have not received the correct order after at least 3 months. Then the mike long bird I bought only lands right side up half the time. Nice idea, poor execution.
Jared
e-mail: Birdi23nls@aol.com

www.mayhemlures.com
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

Nice adjustment DBB! And great insight to the whys of making that adjustment.

These Hollow bodied topwater baits, all of em, are flawed with that double frog hook! In my opinion, it is by far the least fish landing bait that has ever been presented to bass anglers. Granted, some days the bass just maul em and ya git em in the boat, most other days it's a tale of so many missed strikes, lost fish and, despair and stories of the one that got away. It's like the Ranger vs Triton, Chev vs Ford, Motor Guide vs Minnkota, Shimano vs ABU, they all perform a specific job, everybody has their own personal opinion as to why they chose one over the other, their likes and dislikes!

Bottom line is, all hollow bodied topwater baits come with their own set of problems, most of which evolve around lack of boating the fish that strike them. I personally don't git why anglers get SO excited about the "Frog bite", when most anglers boat less that 50% of the fish they see blow on their baits. The adrenalin rush of the topwater strike, seems to be more favorable than the fact we get to hoist em in the boat.

One of the greatest tools I've found the past few years is the use of Lake Fork Lures', Frog Stinger Hook. On any hollow bodied topwater bait, that stinger increases yer hook up ratio by 60% or better. On some hollow bodies though, the extra weight and drag of adding that stinger, will affect the bait's ability to freely walk the dog. See, even this hook has it's pitfalls, but the fact it increases my hook up, fish in the boat ratio to strikes, I use em religiously in lui of walking my baits.

When fish are aggressively chasing, the frog baits work very well, yet when they are not, and you gotta let that bait sit there, the profile of that Flippen The Bird bait, will draw far more strikes just sitting there virtually doing nothing, more so than any other hollow body frog. Because it's silhouette is an amazing glimpse at the surface of the real thing. A bird is a bird, not a frog and visa versa. Each has it's own niche, and as a topwater fisherman, if yer not utilizing both, yer missin out on fish!

It's Snag Proof week boys, let's go Frogging! Poppin, Ish Fattie, Bobby's Perfect, The Buzz, Tourney Pro, just pick one and make the best of it! Time ta flip my Frog/Bird box to the Snag Proof side!
TheChaz

Post by TheChaz »

DeltaBassBuster wrote:Here birdie....birdie......chomp!!! I enjoyed a nice walk to my back yard at the back end of 14 Mile Slough before it got to hot. I tried several frogs, but could not get bit. I switched to my red wing black bird knowing these birds live in this area and BANG!!

Tip: I do feel after a while bass do get conditioned to seeing frog style lures all the time. Rig a couple "Flip the Bird" lures to give a different profile while using the same presentations. Pay attention to what birds are hanging around the waters in your area.
Nice One, I agree it was blazing hot, nonetheless I was getting hammered on a snag proof bait. especially once it started cooling down 8)