Humminbird 800, 900 & 1100 Series Owner...Reminder!

Moderators: Doug Vahrenberg, Triton Mike

Doug Vahrenberg

Humminbird 800, 900 & 1100 Series Owner...Reminder!

Post by Doug Vahrenberg »

If you own an 800, 900 or 1100 Series Unit be sure to sign up for Humminbird Select Program. Even if you purchased and warranty has expired there are added Benefits for investing in Humminbird high-end electronics.

* Exclusive Priority Support HotLine for 800, 900 & 1100 Series Owners

* Exclusive Training Opportunities from Humminbird

* New Product Announcements

* Email Notification of Software Updates

* In Warranty Owners get 1 Year Warranty Extension for Maximum of 2 Years Total Warranty from Humminbird

Sign-up at: http://www.humminbirdselect.com/

Skeeter, Yamaha, MinnKota, Humminbird, Dobyns, LakeMaster, Transducer Shield & Saver, LuckyCraft, Daiwa, Dave's Custom Baits, OMEGA Tackle, Elite Tungsten, Angler Innovation, Massey Ferguson
mark poulson

Re: Humminbird 800, 900 & 1100 Series Owner...Reminder!

Post by mark poulson »

Doug,
I have a 997 that I bought used from a friend in 2007.
This last weekend, the sonar screen shows a black line on the main display, but not in the current display on the right side.
My buddy thinks there's a problem with the unit, and I think it might be a problem with the transducer, because I have begun to lose the bottom, and then refind it. The unit will read 1ft. depth when I'm over 100ft., and then it will go through various depth readings until it "locks" on to the correct depth. This happens periodically.
Can you shed some light on what's going on?
Thanks in advance,
Mark
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Doug Vahrenberg

Can you test on another SI transducer and test their headunit on your transducer to locate where the concern is.

Skeeter, Yamaha, MinnKota, Humminbird, Dobyns, LakeMaster, Transducer Shield & Saver, LuckyCraft, Daiwa, Dave's Custom Baits, OMEGA Tackle, Elite Tungsten, Angler Innovation, Massey Ferguson
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I'll try that, and let you know what I find.
CLEAN AND DRY
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Doug,
I wasn't able to do the unit swap to see if it was the transducer, but I did narrow it down, I think.
The black line, like a bad pixel, only appear when I have the traditional sonar on full screen. It doesn't appear when I have sonar on any of the split screens, and no other screens have the black line.
Does that help you diagnose the problem "over the phone"?
Mark
CLEAN AND DRY
Doug Vahrenberg

Can you get a screen capture or digital picture showing what you are talking about? Would help me see easier and less guessing.

mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Doug,
You're turning this into a "what Mark doesn't know how to do" forum. :lol:
I'll try and get Scott Sweet to help me do the screen capture when I see him again.
I'll probably have more luck with the digital camera, but then I'll have to get my kid to help me upload it to the forum, and that will cost me, big time!
The black line is like a row of little black squares. It's not perfectly straight across the screen. It moves up and down a half a square, like the black line on a bass' side.
I'll get back to you if/when I get the screen capture.
Thanks for you help,
Mark
CLEAN AND DRY
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

screen problem2.jpg
screen problem2.jpg (37.54 KiB) Viewed 2046 times
Doug,
Here is a digital picture of the full sonar screen with the black line. The full screen down scan has the same black line.
It doesn't happen on the split screen.
The unit also loses the bottom over deep water sometimes, and has to search for a while to find it. It's a pain when I have just come off plane, and am trying to check my depth, or when I'm chasing a striper boil, and am trying to see the bait that they're relating to.
Mark
CLEAN AND DRY
Doug Vahrenberg

That is the Temperature Line Bar. It allows you to visually see changes in surface temp without having to focus in on a number. Makes it easy to see warming or cooling waters easier. Look in operators manual it explains the Temperature Bar and how to turn it off it you do not want displayed.

Do you have only the SI Transdcuer mounted? SOunds liek you have the SI transducer mounted higher for protection? You would need to lower the transducer to get all speed readings or install a shoot thru hull transducer (Fiberglass boat) and AS SI DB Y Cable to get all speed 2D readings.

mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Thanks, that's a relief.
I'll check the manual to read up about the temp. line.
But losing the bottom is a new deal, that just started in the last couple of trips.
My 997C is on my console, and the tranducer is mounted under the transom, up on the face of the lowest hull step, so it's protected when I'm up on plane, with only the bottom half of the tranducer exposed to the water flowing past the hull. Jordan at Anglers Marine installed it.
That used to happen to my X15 when I had my other Lowrance unit on the bow on, and they cross read.
When I got the 997, I put it on the console, and moved the X15 to the bow.
I have an HD5 on the bow now, but the two units have never cross read. In fact, when I'm fishing alone, I turn the ram mounted 997 around so I can read both units while I'm on the bow fishing, and never have any interference problems.
But this is happening when the TM isn't deployed, when I'm motoring at 5-7mph, graphing structure and looking for bait balls. It usually happens when I first pull up on a spot and come off plane over deep water, or when I've idled into a cove and am graphing. If the water is deep, 50+, it happens. The digital readout is 1', like when I'm on plane, and the graph only shows the top of the water column. After it searches, it sometimes bounces back and forth from different depth readouts, until it finally locks down at the real depth.
Does that sound like anything you recognize?
I know, I know, operator error, of course! :lol:
CLEAN AND DRY
Doug Vahrenberg

Did they install a shoot thru transducer? Do you have a Transducer Switch or Y Cable on the transducer port. Sounds like you need to install a shoot thru transducer to get all speed 2D readings. If you mount the SI Transdcuer high it will not work on plane. Must be in the water to get sonar to read on plane. THat is why I use the second transducer to get 2D readings all the time and SI/DI when off plane speeds.

mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

The boat came with a thru the hull transducer in the bilge area, but I've never used it.
I'll ask Jordan if the bilge transducer that Ranger factory installed will work with the 997, and install and either/or switch and cabling if it does.
The SI tranducer is surface mounted on the transom, below the water level. It's completely submerged all the time.
My boat, a Ranger TR177, has a stepped hull.
The SI tranducer is down at the lowest part of the hull in the back of the boat, mounted on the face of the lowest step so half of the tranducer is in the clean water below the hull bottom, and has an unobstructed view of the bottom and both sides.
It has never worked at a speed above 8mph, but that is okay. It still shows me gps speed and water temps when I am on plane. And the lake maps, too.
But it always started to read sonar and depth as soon as I dropped off plane and got down to 8mph. Now it's confused when I come off plane, and takes 10-15 seconds to find the correct depth.
It acts like it's cross reading another unit, but I don't have another unit in the water when I come off plane, since my bow unit has a trolling motor transducer. And my HD5 has never interfered with my 997 even when I have them both on.
I am worried that the tranducer is dying. I had the same thing happen after a while with my old X15 transcuders when I had them on the bow, and the unit stayed on even when it wasn't deployed. I learned the hard way to turn it off when I picked up the trolling motor.
But the SI transducer is always wet, so I haven't been worried about it, up to now.
Is there a way to test the transducer, other than swap units with someone else?
CLEAN AND DRY
Doug Vahrenberg

You need to adjust the SI transducer it's not getting turbulence free water if it cuts out above 8 mph. It can be difficult to find the sweet spot with that big transducer but if it looses at 8mph it's not in the optimum placement too high or too low to get air free clean water readings.

If its a Humminbird transducer you can use it for high speed readings.

mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Okay, I'll play around with the position a little, but I'm not really concerned about high speed graphing.
I'm more concerned about the unit losing the bottom and having to search to regain it.
I'll ask Jordan if the tranducer in the bilge will work for the Humminbird.
CLEAN AND DRY