TS Joe's Story

Dan P

TS Joe's Story

Post by Dan P »

So we got to the Lake on Thursday afternoon and Lance and I ran the lake looking for fish with a variety of baits. Were we looking for a reaction bite as we both knew from 3 weeks ago that the fish would still be on this summer to fall pattern wanting to fatten up for the winter. Fish were not as shallow as we thought they would be as we worked Frogs, Buzz Baits and the Chatter. We went to a few deep areas, Ledges and Humps and had a few bites on the Jig and the Texas rig. But we were not convinced that it would be a deep bite for the better quality fish. We started Friday morning fishing the same reaction bait water where we knew fish were going to be. We had a few good blow ups on the Buzz Bait, nothing going on the Frog nor the shallow Chatter bite, it just wasn't there. Towards mid morning we went to an area we knew was going to have fish that we really just wanted to leave alone for Derby day, but we decided to go to it just to see if the Chatter bite was truly not going to be there like we hoped for. I changed up my retrieve and gave it a slower presentation to get it down deeper on the edge of the grass and pow, a sign of life. We continued to get bites as we ran down the stretch. With in one hour we had about 7 bites and we both knew we were going to have to use this as a primary bait but never excluding the baits we were getting other fish on. As we all know these fish can all change over night. We had pegged all our baits not really know how big these fish were going to be as we didn't want take a chance at sore mouthing our fish.

On Day one Lance and I made the decision that we would run the Milk run not spending too much time at each spot and continue to hit them through out the day. I threw the Chatter Bait all day as my primary bait with the occasional fan cast of the Frog, Buzz bait and Texas rig. Together Lance and I got our Limit and culled twice on the Chatter bait, hoping that the fish we had would at least put us in contention going into day 2. After weighing in and hearing the weights and how it was very good for some and pretty tough for most we felt pretty good going into day 2. Knowing that we were culling and were at least on a pattern, not a very big fish one, but it was something. Most of the field had a hard time getting five let alone were they culling fish, so we at least had that confidence going on for us. Our only concern was the quality of fish as we came in with 12.95lbs and the leader had a 4.19lb lead over us with a respectable 17.14lb bag but everyone knows that that's only one average size fish at this lake, but is was still on the back of our minds that we needed to find better quality fish else where. Or did we?

So going into day 2 we had to make a decision, do we stick to our same Milk run or do we look for new water to find bigger fish? We thought maybe we would eliminate some low percentage spots and only focus on the areas we truly had fish on and look for some new water. What do we do? After talking with JB and Ray the question to us was "Why are you going to leave Fish to find Fish?" Well, we haven't had really much of any fish at spot number one for the past 3 days. "But you know there are fish there, just go with what you two think is right" Lance and I both knew that we need to just run our same spots and hope for the best. We prayed that the clouds would roll through as this would give us a better chance at those big girls to want to come out and play. The clouds rolled in and it was thick. At one point we though it might start to rain. So we run to spot number one and Lance is on "Fish!" we boat it and its about a 4 lber. Second cast Lance is on again, we boat a 5+. Oh man! Is it our day, is it going to all come together? Mind you this is spot one that only gave us 2 jig fish in the last 3 days and it payed off. So we head up to spot 2 we get another fish. Run to the next and get another. By 7:30am we had already culled and were sitting on about 19lbs. It was totally surreal and the morning was about to get even better. We are now going through the Milk run for the 2nd pass and we get to spot 2 and Lance continues to put on the Chatter Bait clinic and culls 2 more times putting us at 21.90 lbs with 3 fish over 5 lbs. in the box, it was crazy to even think about having to cull the next fish that was over 3 lbs. As soon as the clouds lifted our bite was done. We had all of our fish by 8:30am and could not believe it. This was a huge learning experience for the both of us as the question came up again. "Why would we want to leave fish to find fish?" Thanks again to everyone who came out to fish. Thanks to John, Marla, Ray and the TS staff for a great year and a very well run event. Hope to see you all next year.

DP
[img]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t85/dp105532/photo2-1.jpg[/img]
buddy brown

Re: TS Joe's Story

Post by buddy brown »

Great job!
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

Good read Thanks Dan. In retrospect it seems that the Joe's circuit is a very important springboard into the world of tournament fishing. The addage that you don't leave fish to find fish is one lesson of a multitude that your team has picked up over this past season. Of course all rules are not golden and some can be bent... :D ... My point along this line is that I have left fish to "Cool Off" and continued my run of spots only to return once the spot has "settled down" to pick off more fish. Region 7 in June a few years back I caught 2 swimbait fish back to back on a spot went two casts for another and felt after just two more casts ( with no bites) that I should leave.... :shock: ... My co-angler for the day Dave Nichols wondered about this aloud and I told him I felt that there were more fish there but I had repositioned the fish by catching them and they had moved out and away from what made the ambush spot work for them. When I came back I caught my best fish of the day on my first cast....and caught no more there but I have always felt that the bigger fish would not have been in my livewell if I had continued to drag my bait through the area in hopes of more of the same. This is a modified version of what you two learned and I am so glad that you were able to find a couple of vets to help you with the call on what they would do. I'm sure that all the Joe's learned from this two day tournament and prolly would go back this weekend if given a chance to see just how they missed what they were so close to in some case's. Thanks for sharing your experience as it helps us all in the long run. Would like to fish the Joe's and the top Stick as a Co this coming year....I have not fished for bass but one time since April and I am really, really wanting to get a line wet. I figure 3 more weeks and the Biggest of my projects at home will be complete and I can fish again. It Was sad to see an Ice jig tied up on one of my rods as I was putting some tools away this Sunday.....Jeeez it's been a long haul but that's what happens when you send out a Machinist to do Something simple...gotta do it the right way down to the smallest detail. See you guys on the water soon I hope.

Rip
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
psalm

Post by psalm »

Yep, as I fished the Piru Nights Gig Saturday I told my partner You and Lance would take, that Tourney, BIG CONGRATS and great read, I do hope you guys pass a few Jedi Skills my way next year, also thanks TOP Stick Pro Staff, for doing a great Job this Year.....
http://basstarbaits.com/

****(Just when you thought you bought you last lure, your see the hot lure and buy another)****
Lance (SCFF Duplicate)

Post by Lance (SCFF Duplicate) »

I've finally had a few minutes to sit down at the keyboard and reflect on chain of events that happened this weekend and all I have to say is WOW. Dan pretty much covered what transpired over the last four days, but leaving out some details that get stored in out own little archive.

There are some people that I and Dan want to personally thank, those people that fly under the radar and behind the scenes that support the TSJ's concept.

SLO Bass Ambushers. This club had a turney the same day as our TOC. They moved there club turney to another lake just so we could have the lake to ourselves. A big big thank you.

All of the sponsors that donated prizes for our raffles. Monster Drinks, Ken Huddleston, my man Troy Linder at Rapala, RoboWorm, Revenge baits, Castaic Baits, Finatics Clothing and Lake Fork baits. I'm sorry if I've missed anyone but to all of the sponsors.....Thank You.

To all of the TSJ's staff. I packed Ray's meat Jim Bashham, I've got everything under control Darren Lacher, my eyes cant focus on CF numbers at 3 am Dan Proctor and Ram it down David Handy.

To my fishing partner Dan. What do you say to a guy that looses 128 pounds, that has grown as an angler over the past year, that caught ALL the fish we took to the scales on Saturday. Dude, you make me look good, save my butt and put up with all my joking around. Its been a great year and I'm glad you were a part of it.

Manas. Thanks for taking the time to clear the fog on so many questions about baits. You are a class act my friend, Dan and I are glad to know you

Last but not least JB and Ray L. What you said to Dan and I on Saturday night was so important to us. I dont think we'll ever forget that phrase. Thank you so much

Lance
Last edited by Noluk on Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan P

Post by Dan P »

Thanks Lance! Totally forgot to thank everyone you have mentioned above. Also forgot to mention that I was so having flash backs as you were totally pulling a "Manas" on Sunday boating all 21.90lbs of Bass. Great job Bro!
DL

Post by DL »

Congrats on the good finish. The single best decision you guys made this weekend was to "stay the course." Ken and I had fish going and when the first two fish of the morning were exactly what we did the day before, we figured we were going to roll them up. But that wasn't the case...the front killed our bite and we didnt adjust correctly. On the water decisions are usually what makes the difference in multiple day events. Good job.
"Feel the steel"
Lance (SCFF Duplicate)

Post by Lance (SCFF Duplicate) »

Daren, you guys had solid fish on Saturday. You and Jon Demonet were on our minds ALL day, believe me
Jim Basham

Post by Jim Basham »

Congrats to Lance and Dan good job. I would have posted sooner but I had to make a run to Albertsons it took me nine hours but I made it ok good job guys

Jim
Dan P

Post by Dan P »

Jim Basham wrote:Congrats to Lance and Dan good job. I would have posted sooner but I had to make a run to Albertsons it took me nine hours but I made it ok good job guys

Jim
LMAO! Just don't drink that tall glass of Grumpy.
John Barron

Post by John Barron »

I don't have much time as I am preparing for the first of two championships myself but I need to take a couple of minutes out to thank Ray. If you guys knew how hard he worked to make this a championship you guys would remember you would be amazed. Not just at the event but weeks before getting things ready, calling sponsors and pressing to get things in shape so all you guys would see was a good time.
THANKS RAY!
jb
Skeeter Boats
Cousins Fishing Tackle
Ardent Outdoors
Robo Worms
Revenge Baits
Tackle Warehouse
Trapper Tackle
Drifterz Elite Fishing Apparel
Peregrine 250 Boat Cleanung Products
Jim Basham

Post by Jim Basham »

Thank You Ray I know how much you did work on the tournament a good time was had by all . And a BIG THANK YOU to John & Marla the bbq was great .

Jim
Jim Basham

Post by Jim Basham »

Ron & John go kick some bass this weekend good luck

Jim
manas_bass

Post by manas_bass »

Congrats to Lance & Dan for there win. Great day 2 finish boys , way too go guys on keeping your cool and staying focused. Also good job to John on his second place finish and DL for his third place finish.
DL

Post by DL »

manas m. wrote:Congrats to Lance & Dan for there win. Great day 2 finish boys , way too go guys on keeping your cool and staying focused. Also good job to John on his second place finish and DL for his third place finish.
Thanks Manas, that's a fun lake to fish. Once you get them figured out its game on!
"Feel the steel"
Ray L.

Post by Ray L. »

Thanks Guys. We will have a full re cap and stroy late today. I had a few things to do so the story has taken me longer. DL will also post some of the pics as well.
Ray L.
Sponsors:
www.legendbassboats.com
www.waderods.com
www.allengmc.com
www.gambler-bang.com
orange county circuit breakers

Five alive is good for me
Jim Basham

Post by Jim Basham »

Thank You Ray
Big Ed

Post by Big Ed »

Not sure if I congratulated everybody together?

There have been quite a few threads on the TSJ championship but I just wanted to congratulate Lance and Dan for a well deserved victory beating the conditions and the odds as Jon and Krystal who also deserve alot of props for coming out on top. It is so fitting that a man and woman team finish high in the satndings. Great job guys!

What a great season it was. Im sure with Ray and JB in charge next season will only be better!

See you next year; Big Ed!
What you say is meaningless.........What you do is everything!
Dan P

Post by Dan P »

Day 2 Bag 21.90lbs

Bassin

Post by Bassin »

Now that is just SIC!

:wink: Nice job guys!

Bryan
Bryan Vogt..... Central Cal Bassin
Jim Basham

Post by Jim Basham »

Nice fish guys that is a nice looking Triton behind you two
DL

Post by DL »

Where's Lance?? :lol: All i can see is a hat and two shoes....
"Feel the steel"
Ray L.

Post by Ray L. »

On Monday pics will be posted under the story I wrote for the championship. John has the camera and is on his way back from Clear Lake.
Ray L.
Sponsors:
www.legendbassboats.com
www.waderods.com
www.allengmc.com
www.gambler-bang.com
orange county circuit breakers

Five alive is good for me