Kayak Fishing Lake Martinez Yuma Arizona

Designer Bass Frogs

Kayak Fishing Lake Martinez Yuma Arizona

Post by Designer Bass Frogs »

Lake Martinez has a unique location, as you travel into the city of Yuma down 95 through the strip of new age fast food restaurants and then back into the desert. Your mind starts to ask, could there really be water here? As the journey continues you travel through an Army proving grounds you see old artillery guns and helicopters strategically placed throughout the desert landscape making it feel like a scene out of area 51. Finally as you approach Martinez Lake you are traveling over a road that reminds you of a roller coaster as child with the constant inclines and declines on the road. Then all the sudden out of nowhere appears a beautiful lush green environment filled with waterfowl, owls, and many other types of wildlife.
It’s hard to image such a beautiful waterway in the middle of the desert but it does exists thanks to the Colorado river and it’s fast moving currents. Even where temperatures soar well of above the century mark there is a great fishery with monster bass swimming in its waters.
As my first experience at Martinez Lake I was skeptical because of the area’s surrounding the lake and river. Boy was mistaken this is an excellent fishery with good bites on top water, cranks, and plastics. The hotter parts of the year the Bass hang out in the cooler currents of the Colorado River and it’s backwaters. As the weather cools they move into the lake and the shallows of the backwaters.

The water was clear and inside the Lake I could as deep as 8 feet in some parts. There are tulle's everywhere along with lots of grass mats making a perfect fit for top water frogs. I was able to experience it first hand as I had some great blows ups in the morning and landed a nice 6 pounder just before dark on a Designer Bass Frog.
The river and the lake are very kayak friendly I would rate it a 7.5 out of 10 because of the multiple access points and the vast amount of backwaters. The current in the Colorado River is strong and something that you need to be conscious of when planning your trip. There are also many sand bars along the way to take a break on and get in a quick swim to cool off. Temperatures easily reach excess of a 100 plus degrees 6 to 7 months a year, so staying hydrated is a challenge. Bring lots of water and make to sure to start hydrating a few days before going out. Lakes like Martinez are why I live 2 kayak fish.
Last edited by Designer Bass Frogs on Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Caudawg

Re: Kayak Fishing Lake Martinez Yuma Arizona

Post by Caudawg »

Great report and photography, Kris! Keep up the great work!
John Caulfield
Big Rock Sports- Territory Sales Manager (Norcal)
Freelance Outdoor Writer