Lowrance Hook-4, Navionics+ and Insight Genesis

Moderator: Ken Sauret

codooaustin

Lowrance Hook-4, Navionics+ and Insight Genesis

Post by codooaustin »

Hi All,

I just bought my first fish finder for my kayak, a Lowrance Hook-4. I bought it at Bass Pro Shop and paid the extra $30 for the Navionics+ SD card so that I could get charts for local creeks and sonar charts to see contours in more detail. One thing that appealed to me was the ability to save sonar logs from my trips and to provide those to Insight Genesis so that I could create my own custom map. I fish a pond about 100-yards from my house and I don't have any contour/sonar charts for it so this is a perfect tool for me.

I was able to upload my sonar log to Insight Genesis and create a contour map (see attached)...AWESOME!

The problem I am having is getting the contour map onto my Lowrance Hook-4.

I've followed Insight Genesis's directions of saving the ".exe" file to my SD card (the one that was supplied with my Lowrance, Navionics+) and then running/extracting the ".exe" files to the SD card (see attached).

I then put the SD card in my Lowrance Hook-4. In my chart settings I have three options: Lowrance, Navionics, Navionics Fish N'Chip. With the SD card inserted, if I choose Lowrance or Navionics, my Hook-4 continually restarts. I have to navigate away from the chart page (to sonar, downscan, etc.) very quickly in-between restarts to stop it from restarting. The Navionics Fish N'Chip setting does not cause my Hook-4 to restart but I do not see the contour map from Insight Genesis. However, I do see contours in other places.

Any help is appreciated!
Attachments
SDCardDirectory.png
SDCardDirectory.png (24.39 KiB) Viewed 5039 times
InsightGenesisContour.PNG
codooaustin

Re: Lowrance Hook-4, Navionics+ and Insight Genesis

Post by codooaustin »

Update: I tried using a new/formatted/blank SD card and am still experiencing rebooting of my fish finder. :?
Edd

Post by Edd »

I think if you delete that application file (BassPond.exe) and try it again it will work. Please use the SD card with only this IG map on it. The card that came with the unit has Navionics chart data right? Do not mix various chart mfg data on same card.
Also, you can now place mulitple IG maps on a single SD card, then select the file you are fishing on a particular day.
codooaustin

Post by codooaustin »

Thanks for the suggestion Edd. I removed the ".exe" application from my SD card. I waited for the Hook-4 to boot up, changed it to the chart page and then inserted the SD card. After a few seconds it then started rebooting continually.

I'm doing this in my garage where the GPS signal is a little weak, as opposed to outside, so I'm not certain it's always getting a location. Sometimes there is a ? mark on my vessel location symbol. But it does tend to show me in the right location when the regular Lowrance chart appears. So, I'm not sure if they has anything to do with this issue. Later tonight I'll move my kayak outside make sure it acquires a signal and then try again.

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Attachments
SDcard.png
SDcard.png (16.96 KiB) Viewed 5011 times
codooaustin

Post by codooaustin »

Update: I moved my kayak outside, let it acquire a position and had the same results. I filmed it on my phone this time so you can see what's happening.
Basshopper

Post by Basshopper »

Try the IG map on another sd card. usually that behavior is related to a defective SD Card.
codooaustin

Post by codooaustin »

Hmm...I'm doubtful that's the issue but I will try it. Is there a particular card I should or shouldn't buy? I believe up to 32GB is supported. Correct?
Basshopper

Post by Basshopper »

32gb is good SanDisk is my fav brand for consistent quality. May not be a problem anymore but the off brands have had issues. SanDisk is the leader. Make sure you format any new card before you us it. Good luck
Edd

Post by Edd »

If you have a friend that will allow you to try the card in their Lowrance, that will help you iliminate the card slot in your unit as being the culprit.