Milikian's 50.64 lbs of Margarita fish takes Title and AOY

DL

Milikian's 50.64 lbs of Margarita fish takes Title and AOY

Post by DL »

On August 22, 2009, the 2009 Top Stick Tour Anglers rolled into Atascadero, Ca. to decide the Angler of the Year race and crown its 2009 TOC Champions. When the destination for the 09' TOC was announced, the tour participants were expecting the great fishing that Santa Margarita is know for. But after numerous conversations with the competing anglers, it was apparent the gem of the Central Coast was going to be a little stingy with her stock of 5-8 lb fish this time around. With unseasonably cool temps and the fish in transition from summer to fall, the anglers were scratching their heads wondering how the bite would be. And the locals were doing the same thing. Only a month ago, 30 lb limits were the norm and 35 lbs was within reach. But this is fishing and the fish had apparently decided to go into hibernation for the past month.

As the first day of competition unfolded, it was obvious that our two anglers tied for the AOY lead would have to bring there best in order to walk away with the title and paid entries for the 2010 season. Manas Milikian and Cliff Gregory blasted off in a dead heat for the title. Two days to decide the winner... Check-In day brought bright skies, hot temps, little wind and a group of anglers ready to battle under tough conditions. But Mother Nature had a change in mind. Instead of the hot skies and little wind, she brought in cool temps, cloud cover, wind, and the threat of rain. Would this improve the bite? or set the fish back another two weeks?

Margarita is known for her big fish, blade bite, frog bite, flip bite, and just about any powerfishing technique you want to throw at her, and this year would be no different. The cloud cover and wind woke up the big fish and the bite.. Albeit a little slow at first, the big fish were there, and they were eating.... Our first team weighed in with an Am big fish of just under five pounds, and it belonged to Manas Co-Angler Pete Hoffman, then Manas weighed in what would eventually be the big fish of the day on the pro side, a beautiful 6.03 lb kicker. Their limit weighed in at 24.68 lbs and had taken the lead in the AOY race, and with Cliff bagging his fish in the parking lot, Manas began the proverbial "wait and see what happens." As the duo of Cliff Gregory and Lance Karafelas made their way to the scales, it was apparent that the two had figured something out. The pairs first fish into the weigh basket was Lance's fish...and it was a Monster...a 9.91 lb monster and the big fish of the day. This brute anchored a 20.81 lb limit and kept Cliff within striking distance of Manas and the title. As the weigh in concluded, the anglers were treated to a BBQ of Tri Tip, Baked Beans, Tony Cap's world famous Garlic Bread, Salad, and drinks. All of which was prepared by Marla Barron, her son Clay, and brother Spencer. Thanks to the chefs for a great post fish meal. After eating, the guys began their preparations for day 2....but mother nature had already started her preparations for day 2.

RAIN....and a break...then more rain. Would this help or hurt the already confused fish? The locals said it had not rained in August in a hundred years...and it rains on us? go figure... As Ron C would say "if you want the weather to change, schedule a bass tournament." He could not have been more right...

With the field reversed and pairings different for day 2, and a number of anglers looking to make a move on day two, we blasted off and began the final day of competition. Would Cliff catch Manas? Would another pro leap frog them both? How would the bite be? As the weigh in started, we could see that the bite had gotten a little better, for some, and worse for a few others. Our made AOY for the 2009 Amatuer side was Andrew Levy, and he fished with Buck Bauernfied on day 2. As one of the first teams to weigh on day 2, they proved that the big fish were still eating. Andrew's fish tipped the scales at 8.83 lbs and anchored an 18.21 lb limit. This fish would be the big fish of the day for the Ams and we now knew that someone may break 40lbs for two days of fishing. Day 2 was better than Day 1 and the limits proved it. Two 17 lb limits followed, a 10.0 limit, a couple single digit limits and then the tournament leader came to the scales...with another Margarita brute...the fish weighed 9.51 and Manas had brought in another big bag and put a stranglehold on the field. When the entire limit was weighed, the scale read 25.96 lbs and vaulted Manas over the 50 lb mark ! 50.64 lb for two days of tough fishing!! Then it was time see what the second place pro and his partner were able to bring in on day 2...and it was a surprise...Cliff and his Am Stan Beebe had a tough day and were not able to weigh in a keeper fish. This made Manas Malikian the Pro TOC Champion and Pro 2009 Angler of the Year on the same day!! While Cliff and Manas were going for AOY, there were other guys fishing for the TOC title as well. With the field battling both days, Kevin Johnson moved up to second with two solid limits and JR Kondracki made a push after day one to move into third place. Congrats to everyone that fished, and thanks to the anglers for their support.

Thanks to our sponsors for their support as well. Randy Yamanouye and the guys at Robo sent us an unbelievable box of worm colors that are unavailable to the public..watch out Martens, Ehrler, and Kerr :) Anglers Marine gave us two $100 gift certificates, Huddleston supplied us with 15 bags of Huddlebugs, and 15 swimbaits..all of which were awarded to the field, Both AOY's got a Dobyns Swimbait rod, The Trolling Motor Doctor and Humminbird for the 797 SI graph, and John finally got the Top Stick hats and each angler and staff member received one. Thanks to all for a fun season.

Daren

Below you will see the final results.

1 Manas Milikian 24.68 25.96 50.64 $2,200.00
2 Kevin Johnson 13.08 17.10 30.18 $1,500.00
3 Walt Kondracki 11.17 17.20 28.37 $1,125.00
4 Buck Baurnfiend 5.53 18.21 23.74 Humminbird 797 SI
5 Cliff Gregory 20.81 0.00 20.81 $100 Anglers Marine Gift Certificate
6 Tony Capperelli 2.95 6.50 9.45
7 Harry Jioras 1.90 4.71 6.61

1 Lance Karafelas 20.81 17.10 37.91 $1,000.00
2 Pete Hoffman 24.68 6.50 31.18 $500.00
3 Dan Proctor 2.95 25.26 28.21 $375.00
4 Eddy Velasquez 5.53 17.20 22.73 $300.00
5 Andy Levy 1.90 18.21 20.11 $100.00 $100 Angelrs marine Gift Certificate
6 Eduard Poghosyan 13.08 4.71 17.79
7 Stan Beebe 11.17 0.00 11.17

Big Fish Day 0ne Pro
Manas Milikian 6.03

Big Fish Day Two Pro
Manas Milikian 9.51

Big Fish Day one Am
Lance Karafelas 9.91

Big Fish Day two Am
Andy Levy 8.83
"Feel the steel"
mark poulson

Re: Milikian's 50.64 lbs of Margarita fish takes Title and AOY

Post by mark poulson »

Wow!
Great weights.
Looks like Manas was amazing.
Congrats to Lance for his first place finish, and to JR for taking third on the pro side.
Lance, you and Manas lapped the field!
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
manas_bass

Post by manas_bass »

Hey boys , id like to thank JB , DL , for doing a fantastic job running the show this year, also to all the guys that stuck with us and fished these fun tourneys.
Congrats to all the guys that did well this year along with the am's.

I would love to tell everyone how it all went down , but with the joes going up there soon i promised my day 2 co angler that i would not say anything , due
to the fact that he will be there fishing the joes.

thanks again
Manas
Ray L.

Post by Ray L. »

Manas,
Congrats to you.
I saw you called me about a week or so ago. Sorry I did not return your call. Work has been long hours the past month. I will call you on wed. though.
Ray L.
Sponsors:
www.legendbassboats.com
www.waderods.com
www.allengmc.com
www.gambler-bang.com
orange county circuit breakers

Five alive is good for me
psalm

Post by psalm »

BIG CONGRATS, on the win and place guys, Lance has Jedi Skills even from the back seat now, so look out guys on the TOP STICK JOE event, lol hay Lance did you ever get a back up tail for that bait? let me know if you still have it I will put a funny color on it for ya....
http://basstarbaits.com/

****(Just when you thought you bought you last lure, your see the hot lure and buy another)****
DAKINE198

Post by DAKINE198 »

Hey Psalm, still cant find those baits on Ebay.....
AINOKEA..........life is good...but I'm mad as Hell
psalm

Post by psalm »

I will let you throw some on mine I still got a lot of them so in the coming months let me know, Lance still has all the good spots and if I give him one with a good tail he may pass me one of his Jedi moves.........lol

****(Just when you thought you bought you last lure, your see the hot lure and buy another)****
Lance (SCFF Duplicate)

Post by Lance (SCFF Duplicate) »

Ya Psalm, I still need one of those tails if ya got them.
psalm

Post by psalm »

Hey Lance check your pm..

Jim Basham

Post by Jim Basham »

I got tail
JeffJ

Post by JeffJ »

Congrats to Manas for the win on a tough bite. Your the man!!!! Also congrats to lance on the AM win, looks like we are all fishing for 2nd place now. :wink:
Jeff Jue
Skeeter Boats
Bob's Machine Shop
Powell Rods
Perigrine 250
California Reservoir Lures
Amphibia Eye Wear
Lance (SCFF Duplicate)

I dont know what you mean Jeff, word has it your favorite to win this thing
Dan P

Post by Dan P »

Lance wrote:I dont know what you mean Jeff, word has it your favorite to win this thing
Ditto on that one Lance. Don't let Jeff fool you, the guys a Stick.
[img]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t85/dp105532/photo2-1.jpg[/img]
Lance (SCFF Duplicate)

I know he is Dan! His ability to adapt to changing conditions is something that I struggle with. Heck that last Castaic turney he smoked everyone even when the bite was tough. This is the Jeff that was all know and fear,
Last edited by Noluk on Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray L.

Post by Ray L. »

slow down there Lance you are so excited you can't spell.
Ray L.
Sponsors:
www.legendbassboats.com
www.waderods.com
www.allengmc.com
www.gambler-bang.com
orange county circuit breakers

Five alive is good for me
Lance (SCFF Duplicate)

Damn thanks Ray
JeffJ

Post by JeffJ »

HAHAHA yea right. not on this lake. I am very unfamiliar with this lake.
Jeff Jue
Skeeter Boats
Bob's Machine Shop
Powell Rods
Perigrine 250
Amphibia Eye Wear
Dan P

Post by Dan P »

jeffj wrote:HAHAHA yea right. not on this lake. I am very unfamiliar with this lake.
He's a WOLF in sheep's clothing!
DP
JeffJ

Post by JeffJ »

HAHAHA no way bro. I suck on that lake!!!! I will pray to get half the weight you guys will get.
Jeff Jue
Skeeter Boats
Bob's Machine Shop
Powell Rods
Perigrine 250
Amphibia Eye Wear
manas_bass

Post by manas_bass »

watch what you wish for that lake can change over night guys , i would not be so confident , those fish will relate to one thing to the next day by day. You guys still have to go out there and figure them fish out.
Dan P

Post by Dan P »

manas m. wrote:watch what you wish for that lake can change over night guys , i would not be so confident , those fish will relate to one thing to the next day by day. You guys still have to go out there and figure them fish out.
Oh Trust me, Lance and I have been through this all season. Nothing is never the same the very next day. Just hoping for a bad pre-fish :wink:

DP
palmdale-shane

Post by palmdale-shane »

Just do that thing Jeff and there will be no worries, and remember the little people when you are holding the title over your head. :wink: