Need some Striper water!

mmalinao

Need some Striper water!

Post by mmalinao »

Hey guys,

I know everyone is all top secret on their water and I get it, but if anyone could share some tips on what to look for or what typically hold more during this time of year that would be awesome!

From what I've read they do like flats near deeper water and I've only fished for them north of Franks Track.

Thanks for your help!

-Mike
-Mike Malinao
yjjustforme

Re: Need some Striper water!

Post by yjjustforme »

Your already on the right track. Flats adjacent to deep drop offs or mouths or openings into open areas like the north opening to Franks or the multiple inlets into Mildred are great spots. Also the mouths or openings into dead end sloughs are also great places. The major part is current u gotta have current. :D
mmalinao

Post by mmalinao »

Awesome, thanks! So regarding current, is too much current bad?

-Mike
-Mike Malinao
yjjustforme

Post by yjjustforme »

Yeah cause when its too fast the bait the stripers are chasing gets swept away and its difficult for the stripers to ball up the shad schools to bust em up on the surface. Try riprap banks that have wind blowing into them like the rock wall on the east side of Franks where the bird hunting plantation is. My #1 lure to toss is a white suspending jerkbait along walls like that it just kills em and they go crazy for em. (Lucky craft pointer hint hint) :D
mmalinao

Post by mmalinao »

Thanks man!!
-Mike Malinao
yjjustforme

Post by yjjustforme »

No prob :D
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Always watch for bird activity, mainly the smaller terns not so much the gulls. Doesn't have to be many, sometimes just a few birds diving will give up their location, if they are actively diving and hitting the water get over their and move in quietly so you don't put the fish down. Stripers move around a lot and birds can give up their location. Good advice already given but stripers can show up almost anywhere, bird activity can get you on them. Good luck!
mmalinao

Post by mmalinao »

Went out on Saturday mainly fished north and east of franks..only managed 1 7.9# striper...couldn't locate any schools.
-Mike Malinao