New fisherman looking for help with a boat

Newbassfisherman

New fisherman looking for help with a boat

Post by Newbassfisherman »

Hey guys

I am new to the forum and pretty new to bass fishing. My high school son and I mostly fish local lakes and ponds and have had some good success but we are interested in getting a boat to fish the delta and probably Clearlake, lake berryessa and other good spots. I am looking to spend up to 20k. I don't see us fishing tournaments and don't need a super sped demon. Looking for a stable, reliable boat for two , sometimes 3 people to hit the water. I would appreciate any recommendations or input to consider.

We are complete novices having never owned a boat so I am also really interested in how best to build my skills on driving a bass boat safely considering the only boat I have experience is a rowboat with a trolling motor! Is anyone away of courses or instructors I might be able to hire similar to those offered for driving a motorcycle to help to get up to speed and help me with the basics

Regards and thanks in advance for any input
eagle123777

Re: New fisherman looking for help with a boat

Post by eagle123777 »

first do not be in a hurry it took me 6 months to find my first boat a 17ft nitro with a 115 hp rude and we fished that boat for 6 years before moving up with 2 or 3 fishing.
while searching take the coast guard online boating course it could save you on boat insurance, as it did me and will give you the rules of the water.
after a check out test drive have the motor checked by a qualified mechanic do not buy one without this checkout, of course you don't want to do this for every boat so make sure its the one ya want to buy.
you will find many trashy boats in your search just be patient.
I was also a novice back in 96 so start slow and learn to drive boat as well as how to drive and launch the boat at the ramp.
jack
usaf (ret)
triton 21x2
norcalracer

Post by norcalracer »

Are you mechanically inclined? Well heres why i ask; with the high price of a new outboard or repairs to a older outboard there are a few things you should do.First of all do or have done a compression check on the motor, this could save you thousands in the long run.Second would be to make sure a test drive is done and all major things are in working order.Live wells/parts are not to expensive to fix or repair,electronics can get expensive i would look since you are new boater for power steering the none power steering can be a bit dangerous if you happen to let go of the wheel the boat will make a sudden turn. Fot 20 k you can get a very nice low hour boat that hasent been tournament fished. They will normally be high hour boats. I personally would find a boat with a mercury opti max, they are very common and parts and service are very easy to find! Send me a private message i can help with inspection and lessons if needed!
Jerred A Jennings

Post by Jerred A Jennings »

If you are located close to the Delta (Stockton area)
I can meet with you guys and take you for a test ride on a Ranger boat ,answer any questions you might have and also help you find a boat at the price range your looking for.
Always happy to have new people interested in bass fishing, no charge.
I will be in Alabama and returning 11/4/14 so anytime after that I'm free.
Happy to help.
Jerred Jennings
209-609-0590
Ranger Boats
Mercury
C&C Marine
Shimano/G•Loomis
Outdoor Sportsman
Smelly Jelly
Newbassfisherman

Thanks guys. PMs sent. I really appreciate it.
clum553946

Post by clum553946 »

You might try looking for at least a 20' boat if you're going to fish bigger lakes. Clear Lake can get mighty rough & conditions can get bad in a hurry. I think in your price range, the Ranger 520 VX's might be worth looking at. Very stable, good in rough water (probably one of the best rough water Ranger's) plus they have a great ride. Their max hp rating is 225hp & they typically run in the high 60 mph range. Of course there are many more good choices & like one of the previous posts said; don't be in a hurry!
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Be sure to take some boating lessons before you decide to challenge any rough water.
They guys here have offered to help, and you should take them up on it.
Bad things always happen fast.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Give me a call at Rod shop. I can help. I help guys find boats all the time. I may have one for you to look at... 530-671-1989

Thanks!!
Bass Pro Shopper

Post by Bass Pro Shopper »

Wrote you a private message about the boat I'm selling. Please get back to me either way. Thanks!
Fishing is not a matter of life or death.
It's more serious than that!
DG

Post by DG »

Boy this is like asking what's the best brand of beer or cigarettes, everyone has an opinion. So here's mine.
First don't make the mistake made by many who are starting out. Buy a boat that fits your needs for now and the future! So many start out in a small 17' and think that's all they need and within a short time realize it's not enough So they wind up buying one or more until they get what they really wanted/needed to start with.

You said you wanted to fish the Delta and Clear Lake which tells me that you need at least 19-20' and no less than 200hp I have an 18.5 and have to be very careful on big bodies of water thus restricting me as to when I can fish. I knew that going in but the boat fit my needs.

Lastly going to either Gone Fishing Marine or C&C is a great suggestion because they can not only steer you right but can check out whatever you buy to make sure you don't get "stung" by a lemon. Gary's offer is a great one and if he sells you something, you can bank on it that it's not only a good deal but he'll back it up!

The most important thing is understand what fits your needs are and get the right boat to start with.
MY .02
"And Jesus said unto them,come ye after me and I will make you become fishers of men"
<+}}}><
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Some basic things to remember.
Size/weight matters. A 20 aluminum boat with a big motor is still a big sail in the wind, and hard to fish, because aluminum is light, and they all sit higher on the water, with more hull exposed to the wind.
If you can, buy a boat from someone you know to be reputable. Dealers and brokers are usually in it for the long term, so they are much less likely to take advantage of you, because word travels fast in the fishing community.
When you find a boat you like, have it checked out by a factory authorized mechanic. There are lots of guys out there who do repairs, but they aren't qualified to truly analyze the motor on a boat.
Don't underpower your boat. A big boat with a smaller engine is a recipe for problems in rough seas.
Good luck. I hope you find the boat you need.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

I was just told of other boat that might fit you. These are not my personal boats and I just hook up buyers and sellers. I will not take a dime for doing it either. Just something I've always done.

I'm not in the Rod shop today ( Friday 24th ) but will be back in on Monday. Give me a yell if you haven't found one yet. 530-671-1989
dwise

Post by dwise »

The guys on this forum can really give you good advice on what to look for in buying a boat. However, I want to make you aware of the costs associated with owning a boat.

Insurance will cost roughly $400 per year depending on the value of your boat and what kind of coverage you want. Be sure to shop around. I've had Foremost Insurance for the past four years, but I recently switched to ACE Insurance through Ken and Stan Vanderburg (1-800 BASSBOAT). I got way better coverage for about $25 more over Foremost per year.

Registration is very minimal, something like $20 and it's good for two years on the boat. Trailer is less than that and is good for five years.

Unsecured Personal Property Tax (Luxury Tax). This bill will come from whatever county in California you live in. I live in Los Angeles County and my tax bill is $58 per year for a 1999 Champion 18.7' boat.

Maintenance costs for the yearly motor maintenance will be about $500+ for changing your impeller, and oils. This does not include any repairs that need to be made.

Repairs to your engine can be costly. It is important that when you find the boat you want to buy to have it checked by a certified mechanic of whatever brand of engine that's on the boat. I did not do this when I bought my Champion and ended up pouring a few thousand dollars into bringing the motor up to par then it finally gave out and I had to buy a new engine.

After you have purchased your boat, do not skip the yearly maintenance, and have any repairs made as soon as something goes south, and your boat will last a long time, and save you from breaking down on the water.

And last but not least, wear your life vest!

Good luck!
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Ranger TR177
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
Newbassfisherman

Guys

Thanks a lot of everyones input. I really appreciate it. I will hopefully connect with Gary on Monday and see what ideas he has for me. I also got a lot of good input sent via PM. Dwise, thanks for the details on maintenance costs and insurance. That helps my get an idea of budget. One of the the members was kind enough to give me some on the water lessons and I am working to get that organized in the near future.

I just took an online boater safety course and that was a great help. It will save some on insurance and definitely gave me a good basic understanding of key safety points and other pointers

I also found two great checklists at http://www.bassboatcentral.com/buyingusedboat.htm for used boat purchases that make a lot of sense to me and seem pretty darn complete.

Looking forward to getting a boat and spending some quality time with my son. I know he's really excited about it too
dwise

Post by dwise »

And don't forget there will be sales tax on the purchase that you need to factor into your budget.
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club
krpierce

Post by krpierce »

Don't forget about buying something that you are able to store! The sun will destroy a glass boat. If you are unable to keep it in a garage make sure you have a good cover to keep the elements off of it. I have a Ranger 188vx and I still have to put it sideways in my garage. Good luck!
Kenny Pierce
Newbassfisherman

Re: boat storage

While I havnt found a boat yet I need to track down a suitable storage location since my garage would be a bear to get a boat into the way my driveway is configured

I found unit at or wood resort with electricity to keep the batteries charged

http://www.orwoodresort.com/boat_storage.htm

Do you guys have any input into boat storage on the delta and any critical considerations for me. I want to lock down a storage unit so I don't end up in a pickle. I have called a lot of places and their isn't a ton of availability but they all say that a lot of storage units turn over for the winter

Thanks