opps!-greatest angler of all time

Keith Nighswonger

opps!-greatest angler of all time

Post by Keith Nighswonger »

that link should have been I have been listening to this debate and doing a lot of thinking, (a dangerous thing,) it just seems to me that the numbers don't lie
Ron C

I would have to agree with this, however...

Post by Ron C »

...I believe that career winnings should also be taken into consideration, although I don't quite know how it could be put into a point system. Even then, I'm not convinced it would drop Roland Martin from the top spot. Here are the top five all-time money winners from combining BASS & FLW:
Rick Clunn - $2,504,794.50 (plus another $100,000 for TWO U.S. Open victories!)
Larry Nixon - $2,117,908.60
Denny Brauer - $2,014,526.80
David Dudley - $1,900,192.00 (although he doesn't hold a candle to the other four)
Roland Martin - $1,124,367.20

In another ten or fifteen years or so, I'd be willing to bet that a guy named Aaron Martens would be in contention for this title.

Good Fishing!

Ron C
Keith Nighswonger

Re: I would have to agree with this, however...

> ...I believe that career winnings should
> also be taken into consideration, although I
> don't quite know how it could be put into a
> point system. Even then, I'm not convinced
> it would drop Roland Martin from the top
> spot. Here are the top five all-time money
> winners from combining BASS & FLW:
> Rick Clunn - $2,504,794.50 (plus another
> $100,000 for TWO U.S. Open victories!)
> Larry Nixon - $2,117,908.60
> Denny Brauer - $2,014,526.80
> David Dudley - $1,900,192.00 (although he
> doesn't hold a candle to the other four)
> Roland Martin - $1,124,367.20

> In another ten or fifteen years or so, I'd
> be willing to bet that a guy named Aaron
> Martens would be in contention for this
> title.

> Good Fishing!

> Ron C
When I started my research, I thought Rick Clunn would be the man. I was blown away by the number of AOY's and Tour Wins that Roland Martin has.

I agree with your thoughts on Aaron, but there are so many excellent anglers out there. It will be tough for anyone to ever post numbers like Martin.
GKramer

Greatest tournament bass angler

Post by GKramer »

You have to look at eras when you make these kinds of considerations. Even Roland Martin almost walked away from bass tournaments when he saw the catch made by Rip Nunnery (of Cerritos) on Lake Eufaula--a one day limit of 98-13.

There are solid, middle-of-the-pack team tournament anglers today whose knowledge and skills would have made them superstars during the 1970's in Southern California.

The guys in the early days nationally: John Powell, Glin Wells, Bob Ponds, plus the few names you still remember such as Martin, Bill Dance, Bobby Murray and Tom Mann, were ahead of their time--or the best of an era. Today, we benefit from all the things done and refined over the last 30 years in bass fishing, and currently, the most resourceful, hardest-working and naturally gifted fishermen lead the way.

But only until the next generation comes along.
Keith Nighswonger

Re: Greatest tournament bass angler

> You have to look at eras when you make these
> kinds of considerations. Even Roland Martin
> almost walked away from bass tournaments
> when he saw the catch made by Rip Nunnery
> (of Cerritos) on Lake Eufaula--a one day
> limit of 98-13.

> There are solid, middle-of-the-pack team
> tournament anglers today whose knowledge and
> skills would have made them superstars
> during the 1970's in Southern California.

> The guys in the early days nationally: John
> Powell, Glin Wells, Bob Ponds, plus the few
> names you still remember such as Martin,
> Bill Dance, Bobby Murray and Tom Mann, were
> ahead of their time--or the best of an era.
> Today, we benefit from all the things done
> and refined over the last 30 years in bass
> fishing, and currently, the most
> resourceful, hardest-working and naturally
> gifted fishermen lead the way.

> But only until the next generation comes
> along.
The trouble we have with So Cal team anglers, is that every region, no doubt has their legends, we are forced to look at the criteria that we have available to us. There is a history of bass fishing that most will never know, simply because records or knowledge do not exist. Bill Wicker, (Wicker Report On ProBassAnglers.com-billed the UnOfficial History of Bass Fishing,) chronicles some of those early days. We can never say who was the absolute best when he was the best. The all time angler has to be about longevity. I believe there are guys out there today that are far better in the present, than other guys were, when they were, "in the present." Their day will only come if they can perform at that level over an extended period. Perhaps, 35 years from now, we will have this discussion again.
Ray L.

I do not agree with that pick

Post by Ray L. »

I believe that Clunn is the better angler.I also disagree with your points because I think you do not put enough into championship appearences 1 point come on that is what all the anglers work for not just the win,they want to be at the classic or the F.L.W. finals.Besides Rick Clunn has used his name to back some great lures over the years.Roland Martin and the Hellicoter lure please.I have a lot of respect for Roland but hey the zen master is back (he never really left)and He still made 1 of the greatest 1 day catches of all time on the James River to come from knowhere and win the classic.I could keep going on this debate I mean what about the U.S.open has Roland ever won 1 well it was not called that then.I mean please who has spots on multiple lakes named after them do you call it the Roland hole, no I think not it is the Clunn hole and when it is mentioned to this day it is said with high regard and respect.Heck his catch on the last day of the classic on the James River is still regarded as the greatest come from behind finish in Classic history and that area is called the Clunn stretch.My wife has family in Virginia and I have been on that stretch of water more than once.Do you ever hear Clunn wine about something that happened on the water, no, Roland yes you do.I will stop now because I could write a book on this.
Ray L.
Keith Nighswonger

Re: I do not agree with that pick *NM*

Keith Nighswonger

Re: I do not agree with that pick

> I believe that Clunn is the better angler.I
> also disagree with your points because I
> think you do not put enough into
> championship appearences 1 point come on
> that is what all the anglers work for not
> just the win,they want to be at the classic
> or the F.L.W. finals.Besides Rick Clunn has
> used his name to back some great lures over
> the years.Roland Martin and the Hellicoter
> lure please.I have a lot of respect for
> Roland but hey the zen master is back (he
> never really left)and He still made 1 of the
> greatest 1 day catches of all time on the
> James River to come from knowhere and win
> the classic.I could keep going on this
> debate I mean what about the U.S.open has
> Roland ever won 1 well it was not called
> that then.I mean please who has spots on
> multiple lakes named after them do you call
> it the Roland hole, no I think not it is the
> Clunn hole and when it is mentioned to this
> day it is said with high regard and
> respect.Heck his catch on the last day of
> the classic on the James River is still
> regarded as the greatest come from behind
> finish in Classic history and that area is
> called the Clunn stretch.My wife has family
> in Virginia and I have been on that stretch
> of water more than once.Do you ever hear
> Clunn wine about something that happened on
> the water, no, Roland yes you do.I will stop
> now because I could write a book on this.
> Ray L.
Point well taken, Ray. How many points would you grade a championship appearance? Based on 10 for an AOY or 10 for a championship, and 3 for a tour win, how much would you grade the championship appearance? When I started looking into this, I felt that Clunn would be hands down, based on his Classic Wins, but Martin has 9 AOY's and like 19 tour wins. I happen to think there are about 9-10 guys out there right now, (which might included Clunn,) who are better, but don't have the numbers yet.
Ray L.

I think

Post by Ray L. »

I think you should give a little more credit for getting to the Championship such as 10 points and I also think you should give more than 10 points for winning a championship like 15 because you have beaten the best of that year.Angler of the year should get 10 points and so on down the line.Winning a tour event should get 5 then 4 for second 3 for third 2 for fourth and 1 for fifth.You should also count the U.S.Open because so many from back east used to fish it like the Hibdon's, Clunn,Brauer,Martin,Klein,Yelas and so on down the line.The only reason most do not now is because eastern chapionships have conflicted namely F.L.W. but maybe this year we do not have a conflict and they will be back.You should give 3 points for winning that.It is the biggest in the west and well known back East by all the superstars.
Ray L.
Ray L.

Also....

Post by Ray L. »

I do not think you can go on points alone you have to judge the man a little bit also on his qualities,judgement,characture,etc.etc..In those aspects you must give Clunn the nod over Martin because of Clunn's on and off the water and also bringing in a new aspect of being in the zone as he calls it.Now mind you I know that Martin came up with patterning fish that we all still use today in some way or another.But to fully judge them both there is no question on who is more in tune with the fish as he calls it.It has to be Clunn.
Ray L.
Brian Linehan

Whiner *NM*

Post by Brian Linehan »

GKramer

Re: How about a category of anglers who THINK they are the g

Post by GKramer »

I get calls all the time from that group, Shawn.
Shawn R.

Re: How about a category of anglers who THINK they are the g

Post by Shawn R. »

Im sure you see it all the time george,
I have a ton of respect for the anglers that just keep quiet, go out and fish, and kick @SS. No talk of "Im on this Pro-staff" or "I own this type of boat" or "im fishing this proto-type lure" Just go out and get it done and let everyone else tell you how good you are!!
In my opinion

> I get calls all the time from that group,
> Shawn.
Brian Linehan

Shawn is right on! *NM*

Post by Brian Linehan »