BJ Penn. Will he do it?

Sports talk forum
Brian Linehan

BJ Penn. Will he do it?

Post by Brian Linehan »

Although I think Matt Hughes will probably take it, I hope BJ beats the snot out of Matt. BJ can easily win with his stand up and his Jits is about as good as you can get. However, Matt has "retard" strength and I'm afraid he'll eventually take BJ down and start raining elbows. Once it gets there, watch out. I have to say that I was really impressed when BJ fought St. Pierre and St. Pierre had a hell of a time trying to take him down. BJ's take down defense was pretty impressive. God, I want Hughes to get his *** kicked.
krpierce

Re: BJ Penn. Will he do it?

Post by krpierce »

I think it will be a great fight. I am a huge Matt Hughes fan, I mean anyone who comes out to Hank Jr. is okay in my book lol. I will say Hughes, judges decision....
sTony

Post by sTony »

I don't know. Hughes is riding a wave of wins including the manhandling of the legend Royce Gracie and BJ has lost two of his last three fights between K1 and the UFC. Ought to be an awesome fight.

I'm thinking Hughes has to be a favorite going in to the fight.

sTony
Pete Marino

Post by Pete Marino »

I think Hughes will do it. I think his ground game has come a long way and has gotten even better over his last 4-5 fights.

I think it will be stopped in the 2nd round.

Hughes wins........

If he doesnt win....I'll be taking back my replica Matt Hughes ears I bought last week.

8) Pete 8)
Brian Linehan

Post by Brian Linehan »

Better than the Couture ears or Dan Henderson ears. By the way, I got to meet PRIDE's James Thompson yesterday at my gym and he was cool as hell. That is one big dude! He'd kill me!
Sean Graf

Post by Sean Graf »

This is sure to be an exciting fight, I see Hughes making a statement in this fight by knocking out Penn, yes, I said it, a KO!!!

I know it's not his style at all, but he has waited for this day, throw the gameplan out the door guy's, Hughes want's Penns head!!!

I say a 2nd round KO, and I also say we order the fight at Tony's house and have a party!

Sean Graf!

P.S. Look for Coleman to beat the crap out of the Fedor over on the Pride side...
Brian Linehan

Post by Brian Linehan »

Second :twisted: that! Coleman is going to get KTFO.
sTony

Post by sTony »

Fedor submits Coleman in round one all over again.

At 42 for Coleman there's a thirteen year difference in age. Most older fighters I watch out there look like older fighters. Ken Shamrock, 42, looks like an older fighter and his last win came against Kimo, yet another 42 year old fighter that looks like an old fighter. At some point it gets boring watching the old guys just get their butts whipped up pretty badly by the younger fighters.

sTony
Bob Simard

No...

Post by Bob Simard »

I just don't see Matt giving up his back....

Hughes is an animal, much more mature/experienced now. Penn goes to sleep in round 2 OR ref stops it sooner....
Long Nguyen

Post by Long Nguyen »

Man...that was a great fight guys. If anyone wants to know what happened, I'll summerize. BJ Penn kicked the snot out of Matt Hughes for the first two rounds. BJ got jabs and punches in the 1st round, even a finger in Matt's eye on accident. In the second round, BJ had Matt in a submission hold, a arm bar but coudln't finish in time. Matt could not take BJ down in the first two rounds.

Then...

BJ was winded. Matt had his way with him with jabs and punches in the 3rd round. BJ didn't even have his gloves up. In short time Matt was ground n' pounding BJ without regard. Ref stopped the fight.

It was a great two rounds. Matt looked like he was going to lose the fight, in fact, Matt admitted that BJ had him beat the first two rounds.

If BJ was conditioned better, I really think he has a shot to beat Matt. We'll see if George St. Pierre can do it. Oh yeah, lots of smack talking going on between St. Pierre and Hughes after the fight.

Longh
Bob Simard

Snot?

Post by Bob Simard »

Nope - BJ didn't has the gas (heart to train?) to go past 2 rounds. Hughes could have knocked him out in round 3 had he not shot the take down. It's all about the cardio aye?

BJ had Matt in a textbook triangle choke and an armbar in the end of round 2 and couldn't put him to sleep... While Penn may have shook Matt a few times in the opening rounds - certainly he was ahead on points - I sure as heck wouldn't say he "beat the snot" out of Matt. The Dude's slippery as hell and should be called Gumby for those spawls, but eventually the hurt fell on him.

Round 3 was all Hughes - that finish was brutal.... don't know if Baby J walked out on his own or was carried out.... vintage Hughes finish.

Awesome! Great Fight!
Long Nguyen

Re: Snot?

Post by Long Nguyen »

Yes, it was all about the cardio. I really wonder if Matt Hughes would meet his match if BJ was conditioned for 5 rounds.

Maybe "snot" wasn't the right word, but in the recent couple years of watching UFC, I have not seen anyone dominate over Hughes like BJ was in the first two rounds. Typically, Matt is in the lead right off the bat and dominates the fight to his pace. Hughes was really challenged trying to take BJ down. He just couldn't and as a result was in the triangle choke and arm bar.

I agree, it was an awesome fight! Between that one and Swick, those were the two best fights.
sTony

Post by sTony »

No doubt BJ won the first two rounds but 'beat the snot' was likely an exaggeration. The triangle and arm bar looked good but came late enough in the round that Matt just had to hang on. I thought BJ was hurt after the second round what with all the gumby moves and then the exertion of the triangle. He was definitely out of gas but I thought he was also physically damaged.

I was dissappointed in the Swik vs Crow fight. David looked like a guy that didn't belong in the UFC the first two rounds. Guess the Franklin beating had lingering effects.

sTony
miklanderson

Post by miklanderson »

I didnt see BJ beating the snot out of Matt the 1st 2 rounds either. I agree he was winning on points...but that wont take you far against a fighter like Hughes. Penn gassed in the 3rd round and got the snot beat out of him.