Zoom those fish

MikeV

Zoom those fish

Post by MikeV »

I'm thinking of giving those Zoom Horny Toads a try this season. On rigging, what line and hooks are best to use? I guess the same rod you use for frogs would be the one to use for this lure too. I'm sure some of you folks have used these at the Delta or Clear lake. Thanks, Mike
mark poulson

Re: Zoom those fish

Post by mark poulson »

Mike,
I use a 4/0 EWG offset hook for the horney toad and small ribbit, and a 5/0 for the larger bull ribbit. They are all heavy, and have a tendency to slide down the hook, and the entry hole in the head gets sloppy, so if you can get some of the hooks with the bait retainer on the front, or 60 degree bends with the hitchhiker spring retainer, your bait will stay up much better. I've had fish bite the legs off but the bait stayed up with the hitchhiker.
I have thrown the horney toad and ribbits on a med. action rod with 50lb braid, but now I use a 6'8" or 7' med heavy. A frog rod would work great. I've found the braid helps with hooksets at long distance, especially over brush, and doesn't seem to spook the fish. I guess it's because it's more of a reaction bait, like a buzzbait.
In the spring, I've had better luck with the green pumpkin and chartruese. Also the two tone ribbits, with dark green on top and white/silver bottoms.
They're a blast. Just be sure to wait to feel the fish before you swing.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY