Smog check for Diesels

Share vehicle info.
Fishin' Dave

Smog check for Diesels

Post by Fishin' Dave »

When does this start?

Have you had to do it yet?
Don't be lame. It's just fishing; you are not the new mesiah you know! Check your attitude at the door Mr. Spinners on da boat trailer.
Dan McKenzie

Re: Smog check for Diesels

Post by Dan McKenzie »

As far as I know they still don't have the new fuel in the stations, it should be real interesting to see if it does in fact cause problems for 2006' and older engines or not. I held off buying 3 new work trucks until the new fuel and motors are out to make sure of compatibility. I honestly hope this doesn't end up like the last fuel change fiasco California trie. MTEB.
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

Everything comming out of a refinery has been ULSD (ultra low sulfer diesel) for 9 months or better now. We no longer make CARB diesel ( california air resources board) and even ship off-spec diesel of what would be considered EPA Diesel (ernviromental protection agency) to Mexico anymore.

- If a tank is off-spec.. It get sent back into the supply to be processed again as HCU feed stock.

.... Will there ever be a smog test for Diesel? Not for along time- and everything in todays market would most likely be GrandFathered in under exemption.

The new diesels now also have Catalatic Converters to accompany the ULSD. I can only blow smoke on mine in hard acceleration on 3ard gear of a 6spd manual after 500 miles of not digging into the turbo. -- Basically blowing out the built up carbon...and I save that for tailgaters. :lol:

Todays diesel engines can not get much cleaner and still run on diesel in todays market/technology as they are already cleaner than gas powered engines with eathonol fuel blends- but I imagine they will find a way further down the road to at least tax us more. :evil:

The Tax on Diesel fuel is what is costing the most in price because it is used primarially for an industry in transportation. Gas is around 53 cents a gallon in taxes- Diesel is around 86 cents a gallon.
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
DAKINE198

Post by DAKINE198 »

Will ULSF fuel cause a decrease in fuel milage on a 03 Vehicle?
AINOKEA..........life is good...but I'm mad as Hell
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

The aromatics spec have changed minimally- as was not the case more than a decade ago when they first cut the sulpher out. The aromatics provide the lubrication to the seals and such- Loss of sealing is loss of fuel, performance, and increased wear. I lost a motor in an '82 MBZ back in '93 that cost me $4.8k to replace when they first changed the sulpher content dramatically.

Where I work we no longer have to add cetane improver or stability additives into the rundown/final product. There has been alot of monies put into the units in creating diesel fuel that meets and even exceeds specs while in range to meet ULSD spec.

On todays diesel engines- most poor milage can be attributed mostly to dirty motor oil, restriced air flow at the intake or exaust, tires and driving habits.

The best I have gotten on a 480 mile round trip to Fort Brag in a stock '05 Dodge 4x4 3/4 ton crewcab long bed was 22.7 mpg. I stayed at 55mph and coasted down the hills that I had to crest on the way back and coast back on them on the drive home also. Funny was my milage picked up most driving 45mph in 5th gear rather than 6th on the twisty/turney hwy 20 from 101 to the 1.

I was going to my MIL's house so I was not in any hurry to get there at all. :lol:

I did also get 24.8 last fall for 53 miles driving 116 to I-5. Once I hit I-5 and went past 58mph it started dropping rapidly. :cry:
Last edited by DeltaDan on Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

A pic from last trip to Imperial Valley back in September on the 5 somewhere prior to hitting the grapevine with a full tank from leaving home. This is my wifes truck...... she averages 16.4 to 15.9 running around town.

DAKINE198

Post by DAKINE198 »

That some pretty impressive milage Delta. My last fill only got me 16.59 MPG Thats downtown LA freeway driving.
AINOKEA..........life is good...but I'm mad as Hell
Gator

Post by Gator »

WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP!!! Political Correctness Police Alert!! Hey Dan - who didn't have there seat belt on?

ROTFLMAO!
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

:lol:

DougH

Post by DougH »

Ever since I installed my "Edge Juice with Attitude", my mileage have increased dramatically. 00 cummins 2500 2wd.
18.7 mpg while towing my boat!! I'm guessing it will be a bit better without the boat, maybe around 21-22. Plus, the performance factor is unbelievable.