Fishing Delta?

Smile_n_Jax

Fishing Delta?

Post by Smile_n_Jax »

I'm thinking about trying out the Delta. New to the game and have only fished Berryessa. Small boat that doesn't handle rough water very well.

Seems the closest launch to me is B&M, but I notice it's right on the river. Don't feel like competing with big boats, so I'm wondering if there are some good fishing areas close by that I can run to.
Jax Keilman
"I may be crazy, but it's kept me from going insane" - Waylon Jennings
'89 Stratos 269V, 90HP Yamaha. Small, but I love it.
Gator

Re: Fishing Delta?

Post by Gator »

Hey Jax - When you lookiin to go out? I may be headed down there sometime this week. You can always tag along or meet me at Russo's.

Later, Lee.
Burke

Post by Burke »

Are you thinking of B&W Resort instead of B&M?

If so, you have a lot of options with your small boat. How small is it?

As you leave B&W, go across the river and fish the opposite bank (fish toward the right) for about a mile. Heading further south on the Mokelumne, go until you're almost across from the Willow Berm Marina and then fish that bank until you reach the San Joaquin River. I've caught a lot of bass fishing those areas. The current in those areas will dictate which way you fish because you don't want to go against the current.

On calm days, you can fish the islands around the San Joaquin entrance to Frank's Tract. Also, Potato Slough is an option. However, on windy days, crossing the San Joaquin to get back to the South Mokelumne can be adventurous.
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

Smilin' -- Pick a date out that you can come down here and teach me on the weekdays if I am off... My small boat is yours anytime. Image

Same for anyone else -- The offer is always open for anyone to help school me. :D
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
Smile_n_Jax

Post by Smile_n_Jax »

Right, Burke, B&W. B&M? Musta been think'n about baked beans.:D

Dan and Gator, thanx much for the offers, but I can't say what day I might be able to go out. I just went to a Type 1 Diabetic and am still adjusting to the insulin. Would have loved to be on the lake today, but just didn't feel right. Hopefully, in the near future, I'll be able to take ya'll up on that.
Jax Keilman
Matt Moreau

Post by Matt Moreau »

hey Jax,
As you leave B+W go left. When it splits in three directions follow it to the right so you parrallel the highway. at the end of that slough you can either go left or right. go right under the bridge. go all through the 5 mph zone and start your fishin.

if you go about another half mile down that slough youll come to Whites slough on the left. Now you have 2 great sloughs to fish. Whites on top and dissapointment on the bottom. this is a great little are to learn. holds a lot of fish for me! and all in all its probably 4 - 5 miles from the ramp.

Is that too far?
"The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad."

Matthew Moreau
Smile_n_Jax

Post by Smile_n_Jax »

Thanx for the tip, Matt. Looks to be a safe place to navigate as long as the winds are down. Don't mean to sound like a wimp, but I'm up in years and kinda panic when the waves come up. My boat doesn't handle rough water too well. Maybe that will change if BPS ever sends me the hydrofoil I ordered almost 3 months ago.
Jax Keilman
Ken C.

Post by Ken C. »

Jax,

One thing I can suggest for the delta is to always keep an eye on the wind direction. Alot of the levees will block the winds as they blow across the slough you are in. What you want to be aware of is when the wind direction is blowing with the slough. The part of the river that parallels Hwy 12 east of B & W can get kind of choppy if the wind is blowing from the west or the east. North or south it isn't too bad. You can always move to the upwind side of the slough as well.

I don't remember what size your Stratos is, but from what I hear they are pretty good rough water boats. Just take your time when it's rough. I remember my 16 foot Crestliner - coming home from a striper trip with Jason. We were in the main channel but the wind was blowing across so it wasn't bad. In fact the water was well below the top of the levee so we didn't even know it was blowing hard. When it came time to leave we ran down towards Antioch Bridge, came around the corner to rollers 2 to 4 feet high! It was throttle up to the top, then try to keep the bow up once we crested it. We never speared a wave, but it took up a good 2 hours to get from the Antioch Bridge to the Pittsburg marina. BTW - Jason had a great time on the ride!

The smart thing to have done would have been to: 1) Keep an eye on the trees on the levee tops to have an idea how hard the wind might be blowing if it does start to pick up; 2) If it's really overwhelming, put in at a safe harbor and call someone to either pick me up or bring my trailer to me. Something to keep in mind for the future - if you get into a situation where you don't feel safe, park it and call a friend or even a cab to go get your truck and drive back to pick it up. I don't mean to scare you because the horror stories are always what you hear about (in reality the scary times are truly few and far between - certainly no worse than Barelyessa!) but I just want to give you something to put in your knowledge base... You'll be fine!
[i][b]To the world, you might be just one person. But to one person, you just might be the world...[/b][/i]
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/shred1080/misc/Disclaimer.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Kadota.jpg[/img]
fishercurtis

Post by fishercurtis »

Hey Gator,
Is that an open invite? Love to fish, my boat or yours, don't matter none to me just like fishin.
It's All About the Hook up
Esin Restaurant & Bar, Revel Kitchen & Bar
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

Ken C. wrote: 1) Keep an eye on the trees on the levee tops to have an idea how hard the wind might be blowing if it does start to pick up; 2) If it's really overwhelming, put in at a safe harbor and call someone to either pick me up or bring my trailer to me.

Something to keep in mind for the future - if you get into a situation where you don't feel safe, park it and call a friend or even a cab to go get your truck and drive back to pick it up.
Words of GREAT Wisdom !! Image Image Image .The winds of spring and early summer can really play hell on the main channels and open waters. They tend to be more so in the mid afternoon onto the evening.... but one can never tell for sure. --I have noticed that if there is a freak heat wave--- we are preaty safe on the waters in those seasons w/o the onshore winds. --And rumor has it that the top water bite is hot as well. :D
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
Smile_n_Jax

Post by Smile_n_Jax »

Thank you all for the input. I will definitely keep your suggestions in mind if and when I go there. Ken, your wisdom is overwhelming. Much better to be safe than sorry. I never would have thought to park it and call for help, but I will now.
Jax Keilman
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

jax,

i too cruise in a smaller size boat with a big NINE OWE. i have launched at big break, russo, ladds and holland. depending on how you feel i would launch at holland your first couple of times. i fear less and tend to worry very little. if it not too windy you can always run up to franks and around. it will not take that much gas. i personally like to launch out of holland the most. if it gets windy i could always run around the mildred, the rail road track, or even discovery. it just easier to hide from it all. just remember to charge the batteries and your trolling motor is strong enough to handle and fight the current if needed.

i am usuing a 65lb thrust 24v minn kotta, it does fine.

saLTIE-