Out fishing a local pond on saturday........

g-man

Out fishing a local pond on saturday........

Post by g-man »

And a Ranger stops me to check my fishing license. Yes I have it, but the ranger frisks me. What the hell is that about? He checks everyone else, but does not frisk them. That BS!!!!! :evil: Just because I got tattoos, and I wearing baggy shorts with a wifebeater on is no reason to frisk me. He even asks me if I have any guns, or knives. WTF!! I don't get it. I mean here I'am getting patted down while other people are looking at me like I did something wrong. That is outta line. If I looked like some old guy, or something other that the way I was dressed or looked he would not have done this. And it shows cause he frisked nobody, but me!!!! I didn't say anything to him about it cause it would have created more problems I'm sure. But give me a break, the ranger needs to get a grip.
bahlzar

Re: Out fishing a local pond on saturday........

Post by bahlzar »

dont they call that profiling?

Post by Doug Hodel »

I am by no means and expert on the law, but I do believe that there has to be probable cause before they search your person????? I would definitley have gotten his name and badge number and at the very least made a formal complaint.
FATGUY

Post by FATGUY »

YOU POSSIBLY SHOULD HAVE ASKED. HE MIGHT HAVE HAD A GOOD REASON FOR CHECKING YOU .. EXAMPLE..IF THERE WAS A REPORT OF SOMEONE CAUSING TROUBLE AND THE DESCRIPTION LOOKED LIKE YOU WHERE EVERYONE ELSE THERE WERE EITHER OLD OR KIDS AND YOU WERE THE ONLY ONE THAT FIT THAT DECRIPTION THEN IT WOULD BE ONLY LOGICAL TO FRISK YOU ??? WHY ASSUME THE WORST CASE SCENERIO ?? YOU COULD BE RIGHT BUT ??? just my .02another example is when the cops put up a sting in a high crime neighbor hood and then the people there say well how come its here and not in the high class neighborhood well duh .. you want to catch the crooks you go to the neighborhood where most of the crime is . i'm not saying you are wrong but i wouldn't want to be a lonesome ranger or cop checking things out . couldn't pay me enogh. i'm sure there are bad situations but i would believe that most are not something evil ?? again just my two cents. ok guys go ahead and let me have it ???
Dom

Post by Dom »

g-man wrote: I got tattoos, and I wearing baggy shorts with a wifebeater on is no reason to frisk me.
Let me think about it........? Duh You fit the profile of a banger you can get the respect from them or the general public you can not have both and dont get mad at me its society.

I made a friend years back and he was new to the Tournament game anyway I ussally hung out with the older guys and so we were hanging out after the tournament and my friend was using some language that was cool between us but you have to tone it way down around the elders anyway a few of my elder friends made coments to me later about the guy. It aint right but if it looks like a duck walks like a duck then its,well you get it.
Tight Lines Dom
Marty

Post by Marty »

g-man,

You have the right to ask them (the Police and/or the Game Warden) what is the probable cause for the pat down. That way you will know for sure if it is your tattoos, wifebeater t-shirt, and baggy shorts.

I known if I was in your situation I would have asked! I would also have asked the following additional questions, do you have an APB on a person of my description? Do you believe that I have broken any laws? Why did you single me out from the rest. And when he asked you if you had any “Gunsâ€
Doug Hodel

Post by Doug Hodel »

Well said Marty.
Dom

Post by Dom »

You can ask all the questions you want, you are guilty till proven innocent! The cops have laws in laws to get away with anything they want! Jeremy and I were at the little pond(no fish in it) there in Livermore in spring town testing the shellcracker and livermores finest rolls up and checks us all out, license and all! No reason we told him we were just doin some testing but no matter. Not saying all cops are bad but in all my 34 years I have never met a good one :D
Tight Lines Dom
Gator

Post by Gator »

Dom - In your case, maybe that has to due with situations or locations you have been in or the attitude that you exude to police.

I have only had one "bad" run-in with law enforcement and it was when I was out riding my motorcycle with a group and we all got ticketed because that was easier than him finding out who was doing the racing. I was 19 at the time. Yes, he was an incredible jerk and if I knew then what I knew now, I would have had issues taken up with his department.

We have a lot of law enforcement personnel who frequent this site, as well as I have several in Law Enforcement who are friends of mine. There may be one or two bad apples in the bunch but that does not make them all that way. So DO NOT lump them all together as bad!
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

That is tuff G and I am sorry that you had to have that personal experience with our finest in the field.

I have never as of yet come across a Warden while fishing. I have been twice boarded by the Coasties and once pulled over by the Sheriff going from Dbay to Orwood. – All three of those times I told them beforehand from a distance that I have guns with a clip in a .22 pistol or a .45 that is in a holster up in the bow onboard.

Two out of three times I was asked never to retrieve it for inspection- just requested to stay away from that area. In the field I have had the pleasure to meet them many a times. While hunting is different than fishing- where as when I first spot them- while in their full view of my actions…… I unload, place on ground the firearm in a setting that will not damage it- and step a clear distance away before they approach. (15’ or better)

From there it is all gravy and they are your best resource for what is happening, where and how.

The CA DFG Wardens have a much different job than any other LEO in California. They are way underpaid, understaffed, and under appreciated. Does that give them a right to “pat you downâ€
Last edited by DeltaDan on Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
Ken C.

Post by Ken C. »

Perhaps you would have a different view if you were to meet them in a different situation... :roll: Saying that you never met a "good one" tells me you just haven't had the opportunity.

As in general society, not all every one is perfect but in the long run you have to have respect for these guys that put it on the line for the rest of us on a daily basis. You have to look at it from their side. They see and have to deal with people at their worst, or in their worst situations every day. People who would just as soon shoot the cop than to give up. They're really no different than you or me other than they they want to get home alive which, for them is a challenge!

Next time you are in some kind of bad situation and need help, "who ya gonna call"? Police or Firefighters.

They deserve more respect than a statement like that, Dom.
[i][b]To the world, you might be just one person. But to one person, you just might be the world...[/b][/i]
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/shred1080/misc/Disclaimer.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Kadota.jpg[/img]
Dom

Post by Dom »

Read the post yall I said I have never met a good one meaning the only run ins I have had with any kind of law enforcement has been a negative experience.

I drive a truck Highway Patrol wants nothing more then to screw up my day ever been threw the 680 or Chowchilla scales they pick and pick and when they find nothing they make you wait to get signed off, Livermore Police the pond and once I had a neon frame around my plate on my car they did a complete search of me and my personal belongings and for what? No reason, Amador fishing was wearing my FL on my lenard and becuase it was not above my chest high enough my boat got searched and all documents requested I told the guy why would I risk all my $$$$ in rods and reels plus my boat ????? DHO! He was board and I was there. I am sure there are some good ones out there but again I have never met one sorry just dont live that kind of lifestyle to have alot of run ins with em. and why is it every cop you meet has this bad *** attitude or see for that matter I watch cops. :D

I say let us all carry guns and I bet you the bad criminals would be weeded out real quick just my thoughts But soon that that right will be taken away from us also. Sorry but again I stand by my statement I personally have not met a cool cop,Highway patrol,etc... And if you were not in uniform and I have met you then you were cool but in uniform these guys take on a whole new persona.

I dont hate all cops I understand they put there life on the line everyday but again I have not ran into one that was ever cool if anything they were board My apoligies to the rest but as the saying goes it only takes one bad apple to >>>>>>> well you get it
Last edited by Dom on Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tight Lines Dom
drrakruz

Post by drrakruz »

G-Man,
Maybe the guy was lonely!! :shock: :lol:
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

Dom wrote: I drive a truck Highway Patrol wants nothing more then to screw up my day ever been threw the 680 or Chowchilla scales they pick and pick and when they find nothing they make you wait to get signed off,
Dom- Nothing personal against you -- But How many Officers for how many trucks are there?

I am GLAD to hear that the CHP is fully doing their job to protect our citizens...... :D

If you get paid by the hour- Just consider it extra Gravy and keep some Bass West magazines in your cab. Image

If you get paid for the load..... It is just a part of or your job that you will always have to deal with either by load or by the hour in your line of work. :wink:
Last edited by DeltaDan on Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

FATGUY

Post by FATGUY »

dom sorry about your bad scale experiences but thats like a drunk check point. you always hear about complaints " i wasn't drunk and i was annoyed i had to sit there 10 minutes ???? well if they stop 25 of us non drinkers and catch only one drunk and get him off the street i can't believe anyone is so shallow to say " i was in convienced and i didn't do anything wrong " just my .02
Ken C.

Post by Ken C. »

Dom, as I recall you now haul a bomb on wheels (propane), correct? My belief is they are just protecting the rest of us from those uscrupulous drivers that'll cut corners rather than maintain their truck/trailer or pack their loads correctly or whatever they need to do to make that shipment as safe as possible for the public. Sounds like your belief is they are out to ruin your day.

Their job is not to make your day bad and I doubt they sit around and flip a coin to see who they're going to "pick" on. They see enough cr@p on trucks to know what some guys try to pull off.

I doubt this discussion will be changing your outloook, but I will add that attitude is everything when you encounter someone in uniform. :wink: Like Dan suggested, expect a delay and bring something to read while you're waiting!
[i][b]To the world, you might be just one person. But to one person, you just might be the world...[/b][/i]
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/shred1080/misc/Disclaimer.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Kadota.jpg[/img]
Dom

Post by Dom »

That is true I now drive a ticking time bomb and I agree with checking the drivers and rigs for the safety of the public. I get paid by the hour but also for my performance we have alot of cust. to hit in 8 hours (I wish it was less) but the fact is some days are just real heavy and my customers depend on me to keep em up and running So any down time directly affects my day, 10-15 min can be the difference between a great day or a bad day.

I can handle the scales and there job but again they are not nice they have atittudes and talk to you like they are GOD or somthing, I dont think I am alone on this one. We all have times when our jobs get tough but I always wear a smile and enter with a hello and exit with a see yall next week still smiling.

No harm just part of life I guess anytime I have a run in with em I am respectful yes sir,no sir,etc... but does not mean I like the way I was treated.
Tight Lines Dom
bryanmc

Post by bryanmc »

It's called "officer safety". Let's see... you have grandpa in his bermuda shorts with a polo shirt, black loafers and knee socks. Then you have the tatted up guy with baggy shorts and a wife beater. Who is most likely to have a weapon... Sure, you didn't, but run that scenario past 100 folks and I'll lay money on at least 99 folks picking you. You do know that the whole baggy clothes thing started because it made it easier to conceal weapons right? I'd also be willing to bet that he asked you if you had any weapons first and then asked you if you'd mind if he checked. It's a consent search. Your rights are very important to me and you, but going home to my family at the end of a shift is way more important to me. I'll check everytime.

Just my .02
Jerkbait0071

Post by Jerkbait0071 »

I think G-Man said he was a Ranger not a Warden.. In any since, I work with Law Enforcement Officers everyday in my line of work and I will tell you this, I have met some officers that do not belong having a badge, let alone a gun. But anyway, you have a right to bare arms while you are in the outdoors, you can have a friggen gun right on your side and there aint chit he can do, if your gun and yourself are legit, but there are stipulations so be careful. I think that now a days that there are a fair amount of officers that like to give people like G-man a hard time. Another thing, an officer can NOT search you unless he or she has PC "probable cause" unfortunately there are many ways to articulate "probable cause" it's all about creative report writing. Here is the bottom line guys, you will find good cops and bad cops, you will find good neighbors and bad neighbors, you will find good cooks and you will find bad cooks, this is just society now a days..... We can not look at every cop as being a bad guy, there are a lot more good cops then there are bad cops. G-man I'm sorry you had to experience that unfortunate incident....

Post by Guest »

In a past life I wrote software for Police Departments. I trained 1000's of officers and deputies, worked with 100's of Captains, Lt's, Sgts and Chiefs, Under-Sheriffs and Sheriffs. Most weren't happy about being made to use handheld computers to write tickets and do collision and DUI reports but ALL were still very respectfull. I also played football for a 2 police department teams and got to know 100's of Law Enforcement officers very well through that. I can tell you that these guys, from my experiences with them, are just like you and me... they go home to their families, enjoy golf or fishing... and put their pants on one leg at a time like we do. Only difference, when they are at work their life is in danger A LOT of the time... and if they cause a few of us (especially the suspicious looking) a few minutes inconvienence then so be it. I'll deal with it when its my time to get searched, and I will answer YES SIR, NO SIR and will thank the officer when he is done for making my world a little safer!

In my opinion, if you want to be hassled less then be more understanding of their job... make it easy for them. If you get pulled over... Keep your palms on the steering wheel and all your fingers open for their view as they approach the vehicle. If you have tinted windows, or any windows for that matter roll them all down. If you need to get something out of the glove box.. ask them before you just start reaching for it. I've had more than one cop ask me if I was in Law Enforcement... I always say no, but - my brother and dad are. (well my dad was and it's my brother in law) I have gotten out of 3 of 4 tickets when being pulled over just by being courteous, apologetic and understanding of their situation! If you are tatted up and "suspicious" looking - well, then even more a reason to be understanding and courteous! Trust me, they can probably pick a bad apple out of a croud faster than any of us!!!

On another note, I am not 100% sure but, pretty sure that the DFG has the right to board your boat or vehicle and search it without probable cause. I remember hearing that somewhere. I helped Tony Warrington, Head of Enforcement for the DFG design a software package for enforcement... and I am pretty sure it was him that told me that. But not 100% sure!!!!
SacSD85

Post by SacSD85 »

Yea, incase you did not know, many cops are into fishing, so please avoid labeling them all because of one experience. Outside of that, be happy they are out enforcing. It sounds more like the warden asked you to search and you gave him consent, you did nothing wrong and had no weapons so you had nothing to worry about. Another thing is an officer can conduct a cursory search on anyone he deems as a possible threat, this check is only for readily accessible weapons, but he does not need probable cause or "creative report writing" as some said, to do it. If the guy next to you was searched and was carrying drugs/weapons im sure youd be happy to see them taking the time to check people. Criminal profiling is not illegal, racial or other bias profiling is very illegal, in the wardens defense, if he sees a group of people and one is wearing a wife beater and is tatted up he is more likely than others to be involved with illegal activity. Not saying you are at all, but the stats do not lie. It would look very bad if he searched everyone at the pond, but checking with someone here and there who fits a profile more than others is smart. And your always free to ask why he wants to search and he may have a good reason.
g-man

Post by g-man »

This is my problem. There was no reason other than profiling to search me. I had my license, I was following all the rules, and he still singled me out. I'm not new to this kinda thing. I have had my run ins with the law when I was younger. I assure everyone that I do understand why he did it. I've been there done that, but this time I was doing nothing wrong. For the times in the past, well those were my fault, and I except that. But I moved from so. cal to No. cal to change my bad ways. I have been a law abiding person for over ten years. I worked hard to change my ways so that I didn't have to go through this kinda stuff again. But I guess that don't mean anything. He didn't get consent either, he just rolled up on me, and started searching without asking anything other than do you have any weapons etc. There was no calls for anyone doing anything wrong. He just singled me out. I don't have anything against the police, or anything like that. It was just a little embarrassing to get treated like that. I was just kinda shocked about the whole thing. It sure brought back some old memories, ya know the ones you try to put behind you. Oh well thats life, I just thought it was not needed to be done.
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

g-man wrote: I moved from so. cal to No. cal to change my bad ways. I have been a law abiding person for over ten years. I worked hard to change my ways so that I didn't have to go through this kinda stuff again. But I guess that don't mean anything.

I disagree G-Man.......... Your Testimony means ALOT to what is right in this forked up world of the common man, day and age !! Image

You are a greater man than the LEO that was trying to grab some G-Money roll. Image

-- I do again suggest you take the iniative of your rights-- and call it into the higher-up's so that no one else in the future may not be violated in the same manner as you were...... or others may continue to be violated by the same LEO/others. Image

We all have common written rights under the same common law-- and we all are proteted Equally under those same rights !! Image

leatherneck77

Post by leatherneck77 »

G-Man,

While I do not condone any type of illegal search, there may be a few mitigating circumstances. Were there any open containers of alcohol visible? What about weed?? Not making any accusations, but if somebody called something in, he was obligated to investigate. As a former LEO here in No. California, I can tell you a simple pat down search is not illegal and is generally used for officer safety reasons. If he did a full on pat down search, I would do what one of the other guys suggested and make a complaint to the Cheif Warden in Sacramento.
JR

Post by Guest »

G-Man -
I commend you for making the effort to change your ways. That is very cool and I can see how this search bothered you. However, keep in mind... You may not be doing the same things you were in SO-CAL... but, the officer doesn't know that. He see your appearance the same as any other person... I suggest if you really want to eliminate this type of thing from your life then do the following.. Where a full T-Shirt... instead o a wife beater.. cinch up your belt and look more along the lines of the life you have worked so hard to change.

No offense.. wear what you want when you want. I am not here to judge... but, if you look like a duck - don't get mad when someone calls you a duck!
g-man

Post by g-man »

No drugs, no alcohol in sight just people fishing thats all. People should be able to wear what ever they want. I hear what your saying though Tom. I'm not changing the way I dress, and I highly doubt any of you would either. The old saying stands " Don't judge a book by its cover." i understand why he did it, but Dang I was Legally fishing, not hanging out in front of the drug store ya know what I mean? Its all good. Just wanted to hear what you guys thought. Thanks!! :D
flipit

Post by flipit »

g-man wrote:No drugs, no alcohol in sight just people fishing thats all. People should be able to wear what ever they want. I hear what your saying though Tom. I'm not changing the way I dress, and I highly doubt any of you would either. The old saying stands " Don't judge a book by its cover." i understand why he did it, but Dang I was Legally fishing, not hanging out in front of the drug store ya know what I mean? Its all good. Just wanted to hear what you guys thought. Thanks!! :D
Been there done that G-man. I actually had tatoos removed cause I got tired of the profiling. Even got arrested once for dealing(so the cop said) although I had no drugs or money on me. The case was thrown out and they apologized. :roll: Another time I was arrested by a rookie cop for cocaine in a capsule even though I told him it was amino acids just like the bottle said. Another time a cop flipped a u-turn and striped me and my car in front of the gym because I had tatoos. Eventually I got tired enough and had the tats removed. Funny thing, nothing like this has happened since the tatoos have been gone. :D
I have several friends that are or were cops. They are great friends. I have also experienced some over zelous cops that are just a bit too wound up.
Fishing should be fun.
MIKE TREMONT

Post by MIKE TREMONT »

Hey G-Man, would the local pond be Folsom? The reason I ask is someone mentioned you could wear a side arm and there's nothing they could do.Well in some places yes, but not in a state park.
I feel your pain, but reality is a far cry from the way it's put down in the constitution.
I can't share publicly some of the BS I'm going through now cause it's still pending. I am the victim, there is no justice for the victim unless it's a slam dunk with the DA's office. I've said enough, this is my real name, but just cause we do everything right doesn't mean it's all good.
Last edited by MIKE TREMONT on Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I had to come back...I know...
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

You were profiled, period..I am not even going to say the officer involved was justified or not, the fact is it was based strictly on profiling..I can understand any officer taking due care and he may have done so in this case, but his actions afterward show he did profile the G-man..I have had several incidents with our finest and most were very polite and well handled..I have never just been patted down, and even if they did they would never find anything..It can be very disturbing as in your case, but it is something that does happen..You seem to be taking it in stride and not going overboard with it and I commend you for that..I used to play on a dart team that was composed mostly of younger Mexicans (all were citizens or had valid green cards) yet we were stopped on several occasions "just because"..After a quick pat down and general questions we were always sent on our way..Still it can be intimidating..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
bruizer343

Post by bruizer343 »

dress like a convict get treated like a convict, officer safety 101.
flipit

Post by flipit »

How does a convict dress?
Fishing should be fun.
g-man

Post by g-man »

bruizer343 wrote:dress like a convict get treated like a convict, officer safety 101.
Talk like a J@ckass, get treated like a J@ckass, street smarts 101.
bruizer343

Post by bruizer343 »

G-man, I took your post as if you were being funny. Tatt's, wifebeater and baggy shorts. Might be all comfy and cool for you,
But if you have ever seen an episode of COPS you would clearly see your "outfit" Is the same "outfit" the sh*theads and dirtbags wear. Not that you are, I wouldn't know and could careless truthfully. Although I do enjoy all your post's and comment's.
As I said I took your comments and complaint about the Ranger's action's in a lighthearted sense. Maybe my bad, but....

Put the boots on the other foot my man, your brief embarrassment over the Ranger's impression that you needed a pat down so he could take his eye'e off you and deal with the other angler's. Not a big deal in my opinion, but that's me. A Ranger I do believe is "Law Enforcement" and an easy target for certian element's of OUR society. I'd take a pat-down any day of the week, day or night..... For I'am not a sh*thead.

No offense intended...

Fish On
g-man

Post by g-man »

Bruizer you have a PM
Ken C.

Post by Ken C. »

G - you have made mention before of what strides you have taken to build a better life for yourself and to remove yourself from your previous situation. As I said then and as Tom is saying now it is a great thing you have done for yourself and you are to be commended for that effort! My earlier posts were in no way directed towards you, and I see I may not have made that perfectly clear.

Did'ja catch any fish???
Mike

Post by Mike »

It was probably the Angles hat you had on! I would have shot your a$$!
bss_hunter

Post by bss_hunter »

Bruiser,

You seem a little bit eager to get a patdown :lol:
bruizer343

Post by bruizer343 »

and........? :shock:
Fishin' Dave

Post by Fishin' Dave »

G-man,

As with any profession, there are some real jerks. I got a seatbelt ticket from the rangers at Shadow Clifs one time. Later on, I went to the Men's room and over herd some other people's run ins. It seems if you were of "color" that day, you got your car searched.

Wheather you like it or not, the previous post of "dress like a convict, get treated like one" is dead on money. You don't have to like it, and it may not be right, but it tis the way it works. Play along; ...How about I show up to your house to discuss puting it on the market dressed in a wife beater and shorts, or I show up in a suit? Yeah, it may be cool to show up casual, but it's business therefore I dress professional.

So in conclusion, you got a visit with a bad apple, and you gave him interest by the way you were dressed. Sorry.
Don't be lame. It's just fishing; you are not the new mesiah you know! Check your attitude at the door Mr. Spinners on da boat trailer.
g-man

Post by g-man »

The funny thing is I don't even look like a convict. It must have been the wifebeater, tattoo thing. Its not like my socks were pulled up to my knee caps, or anything like the old days. :lol:

Nice to see you up here Dave. :D

Cooch, come on help a brother out. Do I look like a thug to you?
Blue_R70

Post by Blue_R70 »

bruizer343 wrote:Tatt's, wifebeater and baggy shorts. Might be all comfy and cool for you, But if you have ever seen an episode of COPS you would clearly see your "outfit" Is the same "outfit" the sh*theads and dirtbags wear.
Actually, pleated-front khaki Dockers, polo shirts and penny loafers are the outfits of choice that sh*theads and dirtbags choose to wear. Sh*theads and dirtbags of the weaselly Mid-level Management variety, that is! :lol:

Might be all comfy and cool for you, But if you have ever seen an episode of "The Office" or "Officespace" you would clearly see that "outfit" is the same "outfit" the sh*theads and dirtbags wear. :lol:
lionkiller

Post by lionkiller »

Dom wrote: they are not nice they have atittudes and talk to you like they are GOD or somthing, I dont think I am alone on this one.
You're not alone. :twisted:
It's just a beating.....till you fight back.
Pil9rotten

Sorry if my opinion is unpopular but....

Post by Pil9rotten »

A pat down is not a search. It's a systimatic crush and feel of the exterior clothing to detect the presence of anything that could be used as a weapon against the Officer. This is done for Officer safety and is not intended as a tool to detect contraband or "profile" someone. The Officer has a right to do this for his safety as well as ours. From our perspective this is an unpleasant experience. From an Officers perspective it's not pleasant but he/she also has no idea if your some guy out fishing or if your some guy out fishing who robbed a liquor store the night before. The Officer's duty to society is to enforce the law and keep us safe. His duty to himself is to make through every shift alive.

Profiling is not illegal or unethical its a tool. All the hoopla around profiling can be attributed to the unethical behavior of a few Officers in Southern California.

We choose to participate in regulated activities whether they be fishing, driving a boat or driving a truck. Contact with Law Enforcement comes with the territory. If any of us has a problem being contacted by Law Enforcement while participating in these regulated activities then its our choice as individuals whether we continue participating in them.

just my .02

Stay Safe.

Kenji
Terry Smith

Re: Sorry if my opinion is unpopular but....

Post by Terry Smith »

If the officer was looking out for his safety then why did he not check the others that where with G-man. I don't have tats or wear baggy cloths but doesn't mean that I don't have A gun or drugs on me. My best friend is A Sherrif and has been for for about 15 years now. We grew up being " Profiled" the same way because of the way we looked and or where we lived. We had freinds of all races. He can't stand it when other offices that grew up in defferent areas than we did think that all of the people that look A certain or live in A certian area must be pieces of ****.

Before you all Profile me I am "White"and did grow up in A respecfull household the same as my "Mexican"cop freind.

Being singled dosen't SUCK until it happens to you.

Terry
http://www.basscat.com
http://www.tntbaits.com/
Lounge Lizard Extreme Bass Fishing
(916) 719-7225
Barry Watson

Post by Barry Watson »

Profiling is very real. Let me jump through the obligatory hoops by saying I have a lot of friends in law enforcement and have a daughter married into the fire fighting community. They are all great people. at least the ones I know.

You may recall hearing Ish Monroe talk about DWB ( driving while black) that he had to put up with more in the past than now.

My partner of the last 20 years is black and he has been profiled on many occasions. There have been times when I would get a call at the ramp saying he will be late as the cops are going through his SUV and Boat right now. Especially around Stockton.
He lives in Danville and drives over here to meet me at various lakes. I asked him whats up with all that and he replied, It is odd to see a Black guy driving an expensive SUV pulling a big Bass Boat.

We were Tarpon Fishing in Florida a couple of years ago and on the way back to FT. Lauderdale, I was napping in the front seat while he drove. He poked me and said "Look at this" I raised up and saw a police car with its lights on pulling up beside us. The officer saw me raise up in my seat, smiled at me and killed the lights and shot a U. My pard said, " its nice to have you along on these trips." Guess why?

Anyway, don't any of you guys get your chonnies in a bunch. This is just my experience.
Oldlures
Blue_R70

Post by Blue_R70 »

Pil9rotten wrote:Profiling is not illegal or unethical its a tool. All the hoopla around profiling can be attributed to the unethical behavior of a few Officers in Southern California.
If you're referring to the LAPD (esp. Rampart) histories, I think it's more than a "few" officers!
Dynastyworms

Post by Dynastyworms »

I agree with toml 100%.

First the DFG wardens are Peace (police) officers of the law! They have the right to pull you over in your car for speeding on the streets if they want. The only thing is they have to call the police to ticket you (because that’s out of there jurisdiction, but in a park or on the water, they can board your boat at any time and search you!)

G-man,

Sucks that this day in age that you wear treated like that. Remember that crime in city and state parks is on the rise. DFG is under funded and employed. When you’re a Peace (police) Officer you have an entire station/sub-station behind you. DFG Wardens only have a hand full of wardens trained to serve as an officer. At clear lake there is only 12 Wardens I believe. Listen to what TomL said; say “yes sirâ€
Dynastyworms

Post by Dynastyworms »

I agree with toml 100%.

First the DFG wardens are Peace (police) officers of the law! They have the right to pull you over in your car for speeding on the streets if they want. The only thing is they have to call the police to ticket you (because that’s out of there jurisdiction, but in a park or on the water, they can board your boat at any time and search you!)

G-man,

Sucks that this day in age that you wear treated like that. Remember that crime in city and state parks is on the rise. DFG is under funded and employed. When you’re a Peace (police) Officer you have an entire station/sub-station behind you. DFG Wardens only have a hand full of wardens trained to serve as an officer. At clear lake there is only 12 Wardens I believe. Listen to what TomL said; say “yes sirâ€