Thinking about buying...

Waterdog

Thinking about buying...

Post by Waterdog »

a boat sometime in the future and wanted to know if I should get a tourney ready bass boat or start out with a smaller boat to get use to handling a boat, running a trolling motor/fishing at the same time, etc.
Any help would be appreciated. What should the learning curve/progression be like? In-short, what should the progression of getting a boat and learning how to handle it be?

Thanks,

Jim
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Re: Thinking about buying...

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

My boat is an old Tracker aluminum..I personally would recommend a tourney ready boat..There are a ton of great broken in boats for sale, most would be excellent starter boats and wouldn't set you back an arm and a leg..Just your choice of which you would be willing to give up..HAR..That way you don't spend a ton of money to learn about boat handling..There is a lot to learn, and you can enjoy a used boat just as much as a new one for starting..

mac
BOB G

Re: Thinking about buying.just make sure..

Post by BOB G »

> My boat is an old Tracker aluminum..I
> personally would recommend a tourney ready
> boat..There are a ton of great broken in
> boats for sale, most would be excellent
> starter boats and wouldn't set you back an
> arm and a leg..Just your choice of which you
> would be willing to give up..HAR..That way
> you don't spend a ton of money to learn
> about boat handling..There is a lot to
> learn, and you can enjoy a used boat just as
> much as a new one for starting..

> mac i would go tournament boat and like the idea of a used boat .. just make sure you research what you want on a boat.. i sort of went in cold and missed a few things . i bought a champion ... greatest live well on the market ....BUT would like more rod space. didn't consider what power trolling motor . it came with 35 lb which is useless in the delta so i had to buy a bigger one.. just little stuff like that.. due to huge live well there isn,t hardly any storage space in the back..again just make sure you get as much stuff you want that you can afford ..bob
Rex

Re: Thinking about buying.just make sure..

Post by Rex »

I would buy at least an 18 foot tourney ready boat (new or used your choice)and have a friend or someone that is familiar with bass boating show you the ropes of operating it. You'll find yourself wishing you'd have done that after a few short months in a smaller boat. That's what I would do if I was in that position. Good luck!
Cooch

Hey Jim...............

Post by Cooch »

How long you been bass fishin? Runnin a boat is a hell of a lot easier than learnin ta pour worms!

Go for "THE" boat dude, don't hold back. You'll be surprised at how fast ya catch on to drivin and running the T-motor. Just take it slow and use common sense. You'll catch on in no time. As fer the learning curve, it's never ending!

Cooch
miklanderson

I agree...

Post by miklanderson »

I went for the used full tourney ready boat and it's great. The learning curve really isnt all that big...just go out a couple times with someone who knows what they're doing and take it easy your first few trips out...
MrSkeeter

Depends on you ...

Post by MrSkeeter »

Yup ... how long you've been fishing ... EVER ran a trolling motor? Ever driven a bass boat? How much you have to spend??

As a first timer, I'd recommend a good solid used boat. Size is a matter of comfort, both to you and to your bank account. Personally, I'd go w/ an old Ranger or something like that for a few thousand. Make sure you have the motor checked out before buying ANY boat.

After a while, you can choose to fix it up (the hulls on those are truely indestructable) or trade it in later.

I see some guys go out and buy a new boat and after a couple of years see it beat up ... what a shame. Good luck to you.