Vanish transition breakage problems

Oregon smallies

Vanish transition breakage problems

Post by Oregon smallies »

Was using new vanish that turns yellow with sunlight in 14# test this weekend. I need help line watching so thought I'd give it a try. We got into some 3 and 4# bass and the line broke on 2 hooksets there and on a couple hangups and tree limb missed bite later. I tried several knots and lubed with water while tying. Not a gorilla on the set and tried easy sets too but who wants to take a chance on a good fish. Never had a problem with p-line doing this but wanted a line I can see better but fish can't. Sure can't recommend any of you try this new line not cheap either. Any other options in a hi-vis dayline besides the gold stuff?
robertmansor

Re: Vanish transition breakage problems

Post by robertmansor »

p-line has some good high vis line.it's not as bright as the yellow of other brands, but you can definetely see it.
Cooch

Very odd................

Post by Cooch »

I've got three rods spooled with this new Transition in 12# & two with 17# tests, I've caught numerous fish on Senkos with the 17# line over 9 pounds and have a lot of confidence using the transition. It's been spooled since my trip to Powell last October, so this line's got some age to it and I've not had any break offs. Hard ta say what may have happened with your experiences.

One thing I might suggest is that since yer looking for a hi-Vis Fluoro, give Cabelas VIVID a try. I've used the 14# VIVID and it's a very good quality Fluoro and is a simular color to that of Transition, although it will not change shades like the Transition, it is very visable above the water to the human eyes.

Cooch
Curtis Rollins

Post by Curtis Rollins »

Had the same problem on the " Stripper" trial phase . Stuff came off so fast you could hardley see it. By the way , once again the Sugoi 16 lb gray passed the stripper test in an AOL tourn. on sat. with a 30 lb plus stipper boated, photo graphed and released. It is hard to see, being gray and all. My boater on Sat. likes P-line and I will Maybe give it a try.

> p-line has some good high vis line.it's not
> as bright as the yellow of other brands, but
> you can definetely see it.
Oregon smallies

Re: Very odd................

Post by Oregon smallies »

>
The line broke every time at the first bend in the loops at the hook eye. Water was 48degrees and the line was new from Wal-Mart last month. I'm just paranoid now and know I'll have to respool with something else.
Rob Dickson

Re: Very odd................

Post by Rob Dickson »

I've had the same problem with the new Vanish. I broke off five fish in a row on the hook set. I was using 8 lb test dropshotting. Went back to old faithful, P-Line flourocarbon, its expensive but strong. I lost all confidence in the Vanish.
Burke

Post by Burke »

I was experiencing the line breakage on hook sets with P-Line CXX so I switched to Vanish Transition. I haven't had problems with line breakage on hooks sets since I switched -- I've landed a 20+ lb salmon and striper on 14lb Transition. I've had line breakage with Transition, but it's usually after I've birdnest the line and put some kinks in the line. On those occasions, the line breaks when I'm casting (when it breaks, I tend to lose 40-50 ft of line). I check my line alot to make sure I don't have any damage to the line if I'm fishing rocky areas. I retie everytime I catch a fish over 5 lbs.
Harry C

Post by Harry C »

I had the same problem The problem started after a break off. Right after that I lost one during a hook set. after that I tested the knot and found out a simple overhand knot were breaking on the 14lb test. no matter what know i tried, the same thing. it was only I peeled all the exposed line where I broke off at that I got the stregth back. The break off obviuosly changed the molecular structure of the part exposed to the excessive stretch.
I sent the bad line back to Berkley with a letter explaining the issue and got a replacement spool. with a $9.90 invoice for shipping and handling. The nerves of these people. Now I have two spools of line that can never be snagged and pulled on to break off.

I have been a loyal Vanish user since the begining, even through the bad times. Now I will never buy another spool.

Harry
James Huffmon

Doesn't seem to like the palomar knot...

Post by James Huffmon »

I was fishing 6lb at Oroville earlier this year and kept breaking off dart heads tied with a palomar knot. I switched to an improved clinch and the problem went away...