Need opinion On a boat

Shallowdiver

Need opinion On a boat

Post by Shallowdiver »

Looking at getting a 19'2" NITRO. How is the ride. What are the topboats out there. Ranger?
Gator

Re: Need opinion On a boat

Post by Gator »

This is like the Ford/Chevy/Dodge question.

Want my opinion on the best boat? It's a Ranger. Why? I own one. Ask a Nitro owner, it'll probably be a Nitro, etc.

To get a good response from the forum, post the model of the boat, not just the length. That way those who have or do own them can post their feelings.

Good Luck!!

Gator
Shallowdiver

Thanks Gator!

Post by Shallowdiver »

I want to get a used Ranger if I can,nothing older than a 1998. I am not able to fork out that much money for a brand new one right now. Nitrowas just a thought. I have never road in one. I have only been on a Ranger.That was a pretty smooth ride. Thanks.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Gator is right, everyone of us own the perfect boat. For the most part the one we have. I would ride in as many various makes and models that you can i.e. friends/tournaments as a non-boater and then make a choice from what you like the most out of all of them. I am like Gator, Ranger and I have one. (See what I mean). Bill K
Brian

Post by Brian »

>I just purchased a 2000 champion 202 and found out the first time out, how great a boat it was. After I bought it I drove it over to Folsom Lake and was excited to put it in the water. When I got to the lake I noticed large white caps and big gusts of wind. Not very happy about this, but oh well. Took the boat off the trailer, got past the bouy and started cruising around the lake. I owned an 18 ft. cobra before and wouldn't have felt comfortable driving in rough water. The Champion, however, cut right through the rough water and was an extremely smooth ride. If your looking for a safe boat for adverse fishing conditions, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Champion.

Good luck with your selection. I know it took me forever to decide on a make/model of boat.

I did take the advice of the others on the forum and took the boat to C & C Marine to have the engine looked over. Gave me a real peace of mind, knowing the Merc Optimax I was about to buy was in great shape. This is also highly recommended.

Good luck,

Brian
Charles Lee

Post by Charles Lee »

> My 2 cents from a NITRO owner: I currently own a NITRO 911 CDC. 20'2" center dual console. I love my boat. It is huge in every aspect. Huge front casting deck (big enough for 2 to fish comfortably), Huge rear casting deck (big enough to fish 1.5 persons comfortably), the way the center dual console is set up, it offers lots of walk around room and lots of extra storage space. Seating for 4 and the seats are about 12" higher, which creates underseat storage as well as a shorter "drivers pit" which equals to more fishing room(that's where you spend 95% of your time). This handles rough water extremely well. In rough water such as Clear Lake, most of the guys in my club come back with drenched decks, but this boat stays pretty dry. I love my boat and it is currently for sale because I bought a new boat.
My 2 cents from a boat owner: I buy a new boat about every 5 years and I like to try different manufactures. I've owned a Ranger, Nitro and I just bought a new Triton. As the guys stated earlier, depending on who you talk to, everyone is going to pitch the manufacture that they currently run. I think that all boat manufactures know what they are doing, which means, all boats are almost created equal. However, you can't compare a Ranger say to a Bayliner. The top five boat manufactures offer pretty much the same options, they just call them different names. Look for the best bang for your buck. Get the most options and footage for your money. Size does make a difference. Buy the largest boat that you can afford/store. You won't regret it. And lastly, as one of the guys stated earlier, ride around in many different types of boats. Some manufactures vary drastically on their layout. Good Luck!!
cal

Post by cal »

>Had a 92 Nitro SC and it was fast but not good in rough water. Sold it and bought a 18 champ which handles rough water alot better.
rode alot of different boats in pro/am tournaments and in different weather condition and the champ came out the best. If you stay with ranger,triton,champ,skeeter and bass cat you can't go wrong. Also these boats will have a better following if you ever want to sell.
Eric Thoss

Post by Eric Thoss »

Spending a number of years as a Tournament "Non-Boater" I have had the chance to ride in many differant boats over the years in everything from dead flat calm to 4 foot rollers rain and 40mph winds.

Yes there are differences in boats... but here is what I have learned.

1. The biggest contributing factor to how a boat "rides" is the driver. Proper trim, speed and the ability to "read" the waves makes up for most differences in hull design. All boats have the ability to go fast enough to destroy their own "ride" and become unsafe.

2. Bigger is better in rough water. Without a doubt.

Make sure the boat you choose is a boat you are most comfortable fishing out of. Most of your time you are going to be spending with the big motor off. How your boat fishes in rough water is just as important as how it "rides". It will do you no good to be able to get to your fishing spot in rough water, if your boat bounces around so much you can't even run the trolling motor. Don't overlook rod storage, dry storage, non-boater equiptment storage, how easy is it to get around in, how stable is it, trolling motor, batteries, electronics...etc.

Their is not enough difference to make a choice in ride alone. If it's too rough to be out there in one of them... it's too rough to be out there in any of them.

Remember... trim down... slow down and pay attention to what the water is telling you.

I personally own a Champion and have been very pleased with it's preformance in rough water.
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

There are a number of good to excellent boat models out there..You have gotten some excellent advice about trying (riding in) as many as you can under different weather conditions..I agree with Eric, that the driver makes a bigger difference in the overall ride than the boat does in adverse situations..I also agree that bigger will be better..But the real main consideration is what you can afford period..

mac
roseville ron

Post by roseville ron »

> Looking at getting a 19'2" NITRO. How
> is the ride. What are the topboats out
> there. Ranger?

Been in many boats. The worst was an 18' nitro on havasu. I have a ranger 518 and love it but champion is a nice boat as well. be proud of whatever you buy and consider yourself blessed to be able to buy a bass boat.
Lugnut

Post by Lugnut »

Looks like there is a pretty sweet '97 Ranger in the classifieds right now, if you haven't already made a purchase. Good luck, I hate to beat a dead horse, but the best bass boat around is usualy your own. Be happy with whatever you get and consider yourself lucky.
Don't ask about my username, all I need to say is check yours and check them often.

HomeBrew Tackle Co.
GW

I used to own a Nitro

Post by GW »

but now own a Ranger , 1999 519VS, 225 Opti. The ride over the Nitro is much improved. I also like the way it fishes, 2 people on the front both on the same side and there is no lean to the boat. The wind signature is pretty good to.
I would not buy another Nitro. I had no major problems with it but just enough small issues when it was newer to be a pain in the @$$. I do have to admit that Nitro customer service (not the dealer) took care of the problems with little hassle.
More selling points for me on the Ranger, doesn't sink (my wife likes that one, storage,and most importantly RESALE VALUE.

Good luck with your decision.
fishwithron

Post by fishwithron »

Use to own a 19' nitro and not a good boat in rough water and was scary. Sold it and bought a 18' champ and I feel alot safer and takes the rough water better. A ranger does sits more stable when fishin but the champ is better in choppy water.
gabuelhaj

Nitro ride

Post by gabuelhaj »

I fished Lake Mead in a 20 foot Nitro and because of driver skill, it was actually an impressive ride. White caps and 35MPH winds certainly made for an interesting outing, but the Nitro handled it very well! Again, it's driver skill.... The fishability was impressive as well. However, the trailer falls apart and you need tools to tighten things down once in awhile. It seemed like a very solid boat. I'd look at a used one and check for cracks. I'm sure thet'll show up by then. The layout is your standard layout and is functional as well. If the price is right, I'd get a Nitro.

Good luck!
Glenn Abuelhaj
Z man

Ranger

Post by Z man »

I have had three, all Rangers and there is no comparrison when it comes time to sell em. Just look at the boats in our classified section, hell a 2005 Bass cat Panteria is 19 K. I paid 34 K for my last Ranger, 518dvx new, used it almost 5 years , put 560 hours on the big motor and sold it for 21 k the first day I had it in the classified section. By the way, i have had two fishing buddies go to bass Cat this past year one from Ranger, and he is not happy with his choice. I do have to say that his Pantera IV is the fastest boat I have ever been it , it fishes like a red and white " bobber" , however. Actually got sea sick on it last summer.
My new boat is the Ranger Z-20 with a 225 Mercury, Pro XS which only has 4 hours on it so it's too early to tell. The platform and ride is Ranger quality all the way. Bottom line is if you can get a good well maintained used Ranger it's better money spent than on a new ' other" brand, in my opinion.
MrSkeeter

Nitro's are ok

Post by MrSkeeter »

but like Gator said, depends on who you ask.

My impression of a Chevy and yours may be different. Personally, I think Chevy's are built a bit cheap and the details are not there. That's kind of my opinion of a Nitro.

Some of the quality (well made boats) include Rangers, Skeeters, BassCats, Champions, etc.

If you're looking for a good ride, the Champions take the flag there. However, I always felt that they tend to be a bit 'tippy' when you have a big guy moving around the rear. Some Rangers ride better than others. Was in a 482 that nearly killed my back ... but the newer 520s seem to ride better (perhaps due to the length). I think my Skeeter ZX185 (short 19') ride quite well for it's length.

For a boat, consider the ride, but also consider how well that fishing platform is. How stable is that fishing platform is very important to me as that's what you're going to be doing with the boat. Rangers, Skeeters and I'm told BassCats excell in that area.
basscat_225

BASSCAT

Post by basscat_225 »

BASSCAT IS SIMPLE ONE OF THE BEST BOATS ON THE WATER RIGHT NOW!!! I HAVE RODE THEM ALL AND THE CAT IS THE SMOOTHEST AND DRIEST OF THEM ALL. TRY THE COUGAR OR THE NEW PUMA!!!!! RIDE AND THEN DECIDE!!!!!!
saLTY-

i got the COOLEST BOAT.............. :roll:

Post by saLTY- »

i am thinking about a nitro, but then a champion too,but i admire skeeters,ranger,bullets,basscats,and champions too..........but wait tritons and stratos are nice.hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........................i think i will stick with my boat....

i have a 16ft monark. it is black and sillver. i have a tri haul almost like a whaler but the middle is no deeper than the sides. my boat iwas built in 1978..and is still very sparkly and i can do a few over 40mph.....trimmed out!!...............yup that's right i do about 30-40 mph less than all of you...but i havem plenty of room for everything in there and two powerful livewells........

....so would i trade or sell my boat ...nah!!.but when the family comes around i am going to get a fish and ski champion , that suckers can store 8ft rods!!! ..........and it rate up to 300hp.......
....vvVVVVVVvvRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrroOOOOMMMMMM........

tight lines buddies, saLTIE-

o yeah...the boat comes AFTER i get a home w/ private dock on clear lake or delta!!!!!
i think i need a few more rods!!
basstsar

901 vs 929 Nitro

Post by basstsar »

In the last 4 years I have had both. to compare the two I would compare the 901 to the Porshe.(fast ,corners very well , good ride and very stable fishing platform. a fun boat. The 929 to the lexus( fast ,corners well,excellant fishing platform and superior ride in rough water. The best Nitro boat for serious tournament fishing in serious water. The two worst rides were in a Champion at mead when an insane driver had the boat airborne several times and in a Ranger at Clear Lake.(another insane driver) the best in a borrowed 19 ft. Champion for 6 days at Clear Lake, But it drove me nuts standing at an angle all day and losing my balance every time the co-angler moved around.Take a ride in several brands and them make you choice.

Ken Eddy
Nitro Team Member