Anyone tried pouring their own jigs?

MikeL.

Anyone tried pouring their own jigs?

Post by MikeL. »

First off, first post on the board and was wondering if anyone has had any luck pouring their own Jigs?

I am seriously considering giving it a shot. At 3 to 5 bucks a jig, its getting pretty tough to keep an ample jig arsenal in the box.

Anyway thanks for any replies!
DanWarme

Re: Anyone tried pouring their own jigs?

Post by DanWarme »

Yup, I make many myself. Football & Arkie style, with & without weed guards. Using the standard DoIt molds and premium hooks. Tie them with Hair, or with rubber depending on my needs and mood.

They are all tied for my own use. I never have time to do it for myself, would never be able to produce enough to market them. I am certainly not above letting others do it for me as well and I still buy a lot of my jigs as well, although they are getting pricey.

Also pour the tournament Grade lead head for use in Tora Tubes which I do sell. In that case, I had to design a special leadhead as there was no suitable jig available for my purposes. Larry McCain made the molds for me. Thanks Larry!
DW

Host Bazz Clazz Videos

http://www.bazzclazz.com

All other things being equal, I'd rather be catchin' than fishin'
DougH

Post by DougH »

Ya just need a leadpot and a mold, lead clippers, hooks, some paint, and your choice of a billion different skirt materials, a fly vice, some carpet thread, and a good imagination. But then ya can make drop shot sinkers too with a mold for that.

It's easy. But then you'll be making your own worms soon too...then your wife will start yelling at you for preheating your plastic in the microwave...

Make sure you have GOOD ventilation when heating up all that stuff, and try not to eat too much lead :shock:
Doug Hanson
96 white/green Skeeter 200 EFI
"Quagga Killa"
2000 Dodge Cummins "enhanced"
Elkhorn camper
** Clean and Dry **
Schneider Fishing

Post by Schneider Fishing »

Get in contact with Bill Ponting. He makes suicide jigs (when he has the time).
Robert Schneider
My wife is my real sponsor

www.PhenixBaits.com
MikeL.

Post by MikeL. »

Thanks guys, I just bought a do-it football mold with 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, and 3/4 ounce cavaties.

Yeah I have thought of pouring the worms also. LOL

Friggin Bass fishin!