Buzz Bait Selection?

Morgan

Buzz Bait Selection?

Post by Morgan »

I'm confused about what buzzbait to throw at the Delta. Not necessarily the brand but colors, weights, and noise and any season or weather.

I have caught fish on black skirts/dual aluminum props, white/Chart skirts/ both silver and gold props, white skirts/silver props. I've thrown the plastic prop for quiteter, black prop for stealthier. I've used 3/8 and 1/2 oz.

So many choices :? . Usually I get lazy and will stay with whatever I start with and then set it down if I fail to get any blowups or the bite stops.

What do you guys start off with as a confidence buzzbait?
When do you switch, to what, and what reason?

Any help sure would be appreciated. I going there for Friday, Sat, and Sun and I sure do love that topwater blowup!

Thanks,
Morgan
Tm Customs

Re: Buzz Bait Selection?

Post by Tm Customs »

I like the terminator white w/ the cut blade and a black one w/ black blade. But they all seem to work.
Taylor
"Tm Custom Baits"
=============
http://www.calfishing.com/gallery/tmcustoms
Andy Giannini

Buzzers

Post by Andy Giannini »

I only fish three colors, white, chartuse, and blk/red. The water color is going help pick out which one between white or chartuse. Fall, late summer gets blk/red.

I like the heavier baits. They give you more control during presentation, and let you control more water in front of you. Simply put, a guy hucking 1/4 oz. buzzers is going to lose against a guy hucking 1/2 or more. I had one custom maker that came out with a 15/16 buzzer! And Persuader had some in the pipeline marked as 1/2, but they were really 7/8! Advantage GEO! (Me!)

Once in awhile blue/white/chart does good too.

The heavier buzzers don't come back too fast. They are just easier to huck into the wind, and get to that smooth water protected by the levee.

Barrack as far as I know, does not use trailer hooks. He is casting WAY back into what looks like unfishable water. I dig trailer hooks, because they catch so many late blowups. If you fish with them for a spell on buzzers, and blades the amount of fish that just catch the trailer hook can be amazing! Leave it free swinging, not boogered up with surgical tubing. Many pros advocate this but never state why. Its simple. A free swinging hook gets sucked in, and you catch the fish, rather than casting again trying to hook up.

A 7 foot rod, like a cranker will help make those hookups as well.

I have taken off on another tangent!

Catch them all!

A.G.
"If you can't win, at LEAST catch the Big Fish!"
Tm Customs

Post by Tm Customs »

I like heavy buzzers too my friend in the midwest has a made me some 1oz BLACK I will almost always use a tralier and if your fishing open water use a sz. 1 trebel tralier you will never miss a fish
Taylor
"Tm Custom Baits"
=============
Andy Giannini

The Won Tons

Post by Andy Giannini »

I dig a Mogambo with the tail cut off, so it doesn't hang in the trailer. Gives the fish a meaty bite, and I am almost up to 1 oz! Sometimes, I leave the whole thing out there.

Another issue often overlooked is the role of the skirt. The skirt compacts during acceleration of the cast, yet opens as the bait slows acting as an air brake of sorts as the bait touches down. Really windy?! Can't cast that sucker, and only brought itty bitty buzzers? Yank off the skirt, and get to fishing. It will cast like a bullet with nothing or a grub. Heavier baits allow you to get away with more poofy skirts, under more breezy/windy Delta conditions.

But I will not advocate using a Sweet Beaver, under a short skirt. This is after all a family forum, and I don't want Conlow chasing after me! :D HAR!
"If you can't win, at LEAST catch the Big Fish!"
Gator

*BIZZZZZZZZZZ*

Post by Gator »

15 yard penalty, Unsportsmanlike Innuendo.

AG will retrun to the launch ramp and replay the down.

Play ball.
Tm Customs

Post by Tm Customs »

I like short skirts and beavers :lol:
Taylor
"Tm Custom Baits"
=============