Legend Vs Champion

Tome

Legend Vs Champion

Post by Tome »

Many years ago I heard that the Champion hull is very similar to the Legend hull. Does anyone know if this true? If I can't find a new motor at a reasonable price I may have to purchase a new boat and motor. I love my Champion, but I don't love the $46,000 price tags. Legend seems to be less expensive. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated...

Tom
Cooch

Re: Legend Vs Champion

Post by Cooch »

I've been using a borrowed 2008 Alpha 199 for about 4 weeks now, it's a very nice boat, well built, more than ample storage, fishes solid as a rock and handles the rough water well here on the Delta. There are a lot of little things I like about this boat, and after a month using it, can honestly say I've not found anything, I don't like. The one I'm running is infact for sale, a huge savings compaired to that figure you mentioned. If your interested in a test run and ride, give me a shout.
Fishitifyoucan

Post by Fishitifyoucan »

Tome,

I have been looking for a new bass boat for some time now. Luckily for me, I have had the time to ride in almost all of the boats out there and I mean the newer models, not older ones.

I have been out a couple of times with Tom L. on his Legend, and I must agree with Cooch that the Legend is a very, very nice handling boat. I like the Legend as much as I liked the Champion. Both boats are very similiar as far as deck layouts and hood latching components, (which I like a lot). There are no round swivel latches that always seem to be a problem. I like the way Legend and Champion make their hatches by being able to just pull them up instead of trying to open them like a wine bottle. They keep it simple.

But back to your question on ride and hull. I am not an expert in hull desingers, but I can tell you I was just out in my friends Triton the other day and could definitely tell a difference between the Triton and the other 2 boats you mentioned. The Triton did not seem to "bite" thru the water as well as the Legend/Champion does. But a lot of this has to do with the D R I V E R.

However, you said it the best.....these new boats aren't cheap or should I say inexpensive. I think it all comes down to what body of water you will on most of the time and if you are a diehard fisherman or fun weekend angler. And what is most important to you......ride, features, speed, resale value, etc. Bottom line that I have found in my research and demos of boats is that they are all nice boats and all will catch fish, but some just have more goodies and more $$$ than others.

I am shocked that Cooch isn't looking at another Stratos?? Why not?

Good luck. And just my $.02 worth!
912nitro

Post by 912nitro »

Check out this date, & go to it, then follow the thread.......Here is everything you need to know about Legend VS Champions......

This is a summary of it for you :

Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:37 pm Re: Since Jon Storey designed the Champion
Jim, please get the FACTS straight.
#1- His name is John Storie. My father-in-law
#2- The first molds he made were for the Fisher fiberglass line which was at that time just bought by Tracker.
#3- When his non-compete ran out with then Champion owners the Porthouse family, he started Cobra/Viper.
#4- When that company ran into underfunding issues John went to outside help, Local businessman Charles Luna who drove John out of Cobra/Viper.
#5- John Relocates to Oklahoma and starts Hawk which suffers the same underfunding issues as in Mt. Home.
#6- Hawk molds now become Legends
The underlying theme here is that to start a boat company in todays marketplace against big competition like Genmar, Brunswick and Yamaha is a long and very expensive uphill battle. You are correct in the fact's that when Champion left Mt. Home many good craftsmen lost their jobs. Some went to Ranger, Basscat, TI trailers and Legend. Next time you are back there you should take a Ranger Factory tour. You will be floored at how efficient they are. Also go by the Forrest/Nina Wood museum, it will blow you away with images of the history of Bassfishing. I have sold Bassboats since 1981 and have seen ALL sides of this business. There is plenty of room for everyone as long as we continue to grow the sport. Rick G.
Wise men STILL seek Him....
David Rogers

Post by David Rogers »

Hey 912Nitro,
Who ownes Ranger now? and what other boat mfg do they own?
David 371V Rogers
Cooch

Who said.........

Post by Cooch »

Fishitifyoucan wrote:I am shocked that Cooch isn't looking at another Stratos?? Why not?
anything about me looking fer a new boat? I just happen to have two with broken motors that are not repaired yet. I'm using Tony's Legend at the moment, so it seemed only fair to give an unbiased opinion! Gotta love the rumor mill! HAR! HAR! HAR!
XMAN

Post by XMAN »

Hey cooch, my question to you is the legend as tippy as a champion-- i have fished out of a ranger and a stratos as you have and i find them to be rock solid when fishing--im not to worried about ride,heck just slow down alittle--xman
912nitro

Post by 912nitro »

Ranger, Champion, triumph, Stratos, Seaswirl, Larson, Hydra sports, & wellcraft, Marquis, windsor craft, Carver, Glastron, & $ Winns
They are also involved with Bombardier & the E Tec's

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... i_74699549
Wise men STILL seek Him....
Tome

Post by Tome »

Just took my 1992 Champ and Evinrude out today for a test drive after some major repair work. Striper bite is on! The reason for this post is that I hit bottom a few weeks back (going very fast) and it sliced a big piece of the skeg right off. With oil leaking from the lower unit, by the grace of God I made it back to Lauritzens that day half throttle from the very west end of Sherman Lake. I had Boatmasters put on a used but tested lower unit. When I hit the bottom, the motor torqued and the cowling came off and cracked. I hit pretty hard. My concern of course is that there is always the worry of unseen damage to the motor that no one could possibly identify. But I ran all over the place out of Lauritzens again today. And this boat still runs like a champ (no pun intended). I will run out there sometime next week and give it one more run. If it doesn't blow up, then I keep and see if it will out live me. :)

I am thinking to keep it awhile longer. I can't part with this Champion - it has been so good to me. A lot of fish have been caught out of this boat and a lot of good times have been spent on it. I think I paniced at the thought of being boatless and posted this post. I received some great responses I received a good response to my motor request also. Thank you all for the information, I am going to pursue the new motor idea a little and see where it leads me.

TomE
Tom Proffitt

Post by Tom Proffitt »

The new champions do not rock.
Tome

Post by Tome »

Why do you say that? Do you have one? Let me know?
Ringer

Post by Ringer »

What is a "new Champion"? I have a 2004/206 with a 250 Yamaha I will put up against any boat for fit and finish. Ride and stability are outstanding. Sure handled those massive rollers at Mead and has perfect gelcoat with zero cracks after four years of hard use. I like it so much better than my Skeeter or the Tritoons I have been in. I have three friends with the Legend LE-21 and they have had some issues as well so none of them are perfect. Good luck.
Tom Proffitt

Post by Tom Proffitt »

I agree with
Ringer. I also have a 2004, 206 with a 250hp. It is a great riding boat and has a very stable fishing deck. This is my third Champion and I agree that my '91 and '96 had that problem with stability. The 200 and 206 have a 95 inch beam. They are smooth riding boat when the water gets rough.
Tome

Post by Tome »

Then what do you mean by "The new champions do not rock"?

T
Tom Proffitt

Post by Tom Proffitt »

I mean they do not rock back and forth like the old champion did.
They are a very stable fishing platform.
I am sorry about the confusion on the word rock.
Tome

Post by Tome »

LOL :oops: Things are just going right over my head the older I get...