Okuma baitcasters?

Riplip

Okuma baitcasters?

Post by Riplip »

Stopped by Phil's on the way back from Oregon on Sunday and got a look at the new Okuma baitcasters. 8BB's, 6.3:1 ratio, feels great... anyone tried 'em? How do they compare with Curados? The $99 price is very enticing!
Elmhurst bassman

Can't speak for the baitcasters....

Post by Elmhurst bassman »

but their spinning reels are crap. They perform like crap and the finish also holds up like crap. All in all they are a poor product.
Dan McKenzie

stay away from them.....

Post by Dan McKenzie »

After using a friends Okuma my opinion is to save the money
add 20.00 dollars to it and buy a Curado. The only 100.00 reel on
the market I've used that's worth the money is the Pflueger,
it's a decent reel that you'll get some life out of. Still, for performance and durability curado, curado sf and the rest
of the higher end reels hold up with minimal care and a once
a year tune up.
mark poulson

If you want a good reel for under $100

Post by mark poulson »

Look at the Quantum Kevin Van Dam ($79.99 BPS). Six BBs, flipping switch, external casting control. It throws like the E600, half the price. I went to the Quantum Energy reels because I like the external adjustment, and the Diawa, which also has it, is too pricey for me. The Quantums hold up great, they're smooth, and cast like crazy. Only thing I don't like is they don't find the fish for me!
Mark
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Jonny Rockstar

Okuma Reels

Post by Jonny Rockstar »

Yes, the okuma spinning reels(Metaloid) I have look like crap. The paint has come off and they look a little worse for wear but they still work great. As for there baitcasters I would definetly wait for a while as I am sure they will have some problems. Okuma is a value reel line and if you are looking for quality you will have to spend spme money. I don't think that you can really compare a Stradic($130) to an Okuma($50-75) the Stradic should be better in every respect. Deifinetly avoid the Nitrx, and the Halogen they are quite possibly the worst reels I have ever seen. Okuma should be embarrased they released those reels. Moral of the story is that you don't get what you don pay for. I suggest a President, Fuego, or an Accurist.
Elmhurst bassman

lets compare something in the same price range.

Post by Elmhurst bassman »

The shimano Sahara 2500 is a reel right around the same price range. These reels outperform the Okuma in every way. Plus you have the workmanship and service of Shimano behind them.
Mattlures

Re: Okuma baitcasters?

Post by Mattlures »

Comparing the stradic to a mateliod is an insult to okuma. I have 3 metaliods and one is about 3 years old. I recently compared it to my friends 6 month old stradic and the okuma was smoother and tighter and simply better than the stradic. I have a lot of top end shimanos like a couple Calias and calcutta TE so I am not bashing shimano at all but dollar for dollar okuma beats the crap out of shimano spinning reels. now bait casters are a diferent story but I do have an Okuma nemesis and I have no complaints. It a good reel and is a good deal.
premium swimbaits for trophy bass
www.mattlures.com
mark poulson

Mattlures

Post by mark poulson »

I just bought three of your female bluegills. They look great.
On the spinning reel side, I would say look at Quantum again. They have a magnetic bail return (no spring to beak), titanium bail wire (doesn't bend out of shape), and good drags. Price is right. The do NOT like being stepped on (I found that out the hard way)! :lol:
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY