Just got a call from the shop

FISH2WIN55

Just got a call from the shop

Post by FISH2WIN55 »

I took my 225 opti in for maintenance and the shop guy calls me to tell me that they took the lower unit plug out to drain the oil and it was 80% water. He said I had fishing line arounf the prop. He also said they are going to pull it apart and see if the bearings are still in good shape. If they are than I should be fine, if not than I will need a new lower unit because it costs the same to get a reman lower unit as it does for them to redo the bearings. Keep me in your thoughts. no whammys. [/img]
SHAFT

Re: Just got a call from the shop

Post by SHAFT »

Bummer , How often are you supposed to pull the prop and check for line , how long does it take for the line to wear through the seal ?
FISH2WIN55

Post by FISH2WIN55 »

That is a question I am going to ask for sure. I will let you know.
Mike Thomas

Post by Mike Thomas »

Hey Shaft, I do not know if there is a specified interval for checking your prop for line and I have no idea how long it takes to wear through your seals once it gets on there. What I do know is that I had a little problem with it last year ( a nice big wad of 12# ) that cost me close to 1000.00! :shock: so now I check that sucker everytime.....either before I pull out of the driveway or before I leave again.
912nitro

Re: Just got a call from the shop*NM*

Post by 912nitro »

*NM*
Last edited by 912nitro on Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wise men STILL seek Him....
912nitro

Post by 912nitro »

What kind of maintenance did you need ????
EVERYTHING.....you said about the way they handled this situation is wrong...........
They should NEVER do ANY work that you havent personally authorized.........
Unless you were present when the prop came off how do you know it had line on it??
If you pick up your boat right now, without them reinstalling the prop you will be out big bucks, & for nothing.
Make some phone calls... verify their story about the cost or replacing bearings is the same as a rebuilt lower unit........... thats absurd............ no way......... call the BBB & see if they have any complaints against them........... If you go ahead with their senerio your looking at $ 3,000.00 at least.......
Wise men STILL seek Him....
FISH2WIN55

Post by FISH2WIN55 »

I am waiting for him to get back to me. He said that if they pull the lower unit apart and there is rust on the bearings and or gears that it is cheaper to get a reman lower unit about $1500 than to replace everything with the shop time. I will go down and see if all the part are rusted before I let them do any work. This all started because I was getting a yearly and they were draining the lower unit oil. They said that it was about 80% water.
gabuelhaj

Post by gabuelhaj »

I'd just have a re-seal job done and fill it with lube. It won't be neccessary to have it rebuilt, unless you see large chunks of metal on your drain plug.

You (we all) need to check the shafts everytime we put the boat back in the garage! And, I pull the plug every 3 trips to check for water. If not, I put a couple of squirts back in the LU (from the bottom) and use a new gasket on the drain plugs when putting it back on.

Good luck!
Glenn Abuelhaj
SHAFT

Post by SHAFT »

Do you need to pull the prop to check for line or just a good look with a flash light ?
Mike Thomas

Post by Mike Thomas »

SHAFT wrote:Do you need to pull the prop to check for line or just a good look with a flash light ?
Pull it.....takes about 1 minute to pop it off of there, have a look and put it back......a little bit of extra effort that is well worth it. As for a prop wrench...you can buy on of those plastic one's for around 11 bucks.....if you trust a wrench made of plastic. What I did was went and got a 1 1/16 socket and jammed it on the end of a breaker bar...fit's perfect and plenty of leverage ( not that you need much ) and I leave it in the boat tool box should I ever need it on the water......also a good idea to carry a spare prop nut etc.....I havent lost one yet but I have read a few posts from guys that have :)
MIKE TREMONT

Post by MIKE TREMONT »

Had a similar experience. I found the line and replaced the seals myself. Cost was around $50 and part of an afternoon.

What I missed though was a seal that "floats" around the impeller and had shifted due to the water that got inside? I was lucky and my bearings are fine(knock on wood, it's been a couple years). My Mercury is a vintage 2001. That "floating" seal is now fixed in the newer models. Mike (Phil) at C&C was able to make that upgrade for me.

If you do have a leak, you'll see the oil puddle below the lower unit. I replace my lower unit oil every 6 months now, to help stay on top of potential problems, and yes, you do have to pull the prop to see what's happening.

If those bearings are still free it might be worth the risk of just refilling the oil, running it for a short period, draining the new oil and then refilling it again. I would think if they were going to go and you're already prepared to get a new unit, it might be worth a shot.

Good luck.
I had to come back...I know...
FISH2WIN55

Post by FISH2WIN55 »

Talked to the repair shop and the bearings and gears are all pitted and rusted. Going down to the shop to see them in the morning. I contacted my insurance company to see if it is covered, they said they would think so. Keep your fingers crossed that the insurance will cover it. By the way the rebuilt LU will cost about $2500. They are looking into the price of replacing the bearings and gears.
SloppySeconds

Post by SloppySeconds »

I think if your insurance is going to cover it, then I would get a new lower unit. At least you will only be out the price of your deductible, which will be small compared to the lower unit.

However, you should be able to find a good used or remanufactured lower unit on the used market. Look around - even on Ebay - and you may find one for 1500 or so. Even if you don't buy it from Ebay, it will give you a list of potential dealers and shops that either have one, or can get one for you. It was a good resource when I was looking for a lower unit for a rare Yamaha 40hp a while back.

Best of luck and sorry to hear about your bad luck.
i am ez

Post by i am ez »

FISH2WIN55 wrote:Talked to the repair shop and the bearings and gears are all pitted and rusted. Going down to the shop to see them in the morning. I contacted my insurance company to see if it is covered, they said they would think so. Keep your fingers crossed that the insurance will cover it. By the way the rebuilt LU will cost about $2500. They are looking into the price of replacing the bearings and gears.
Damn Dude,, I hate to sound like a #rick,, but water always settles to the bottom.. you can unscrew the bottom plug with a screwdriver once every few times out.. if water comes out,,you have time to get it fixed before it "rusts and pitts" any way,, even after all my rambling,, i bought a boat with outboard once without pulling the lower plug out(stupid move by me) and got stuck with the same problem you now have.. just put a plastic plate or the like below the scag and back off the plug,, at the worst you will loose a thimbal full before you get it back tight.. easy to do and good insurance..--- ez---
it aint easy bein ez
plungers

Post by plungers »

Check your lower unit and check it often. I've seen some costly repaires and unhappy coustomers from lack of oil in the lower units, a little string can cost alot of money. I learned this the expensive way, 250XB + water in lower unit = $2500. I have my oil changed every 25 hrs. cheap insurance. I guess we need to invent an oil sensor for our lower units. jim
FISH2WIN55

Post by FISH2WIN55 »

I bought the boat from a "friend" who said he just had the boat serviced before I bought it. This was 8 months ago. The repair shop said the water had to be in there longer than 8 months to do the kind of damage it did. Stupid on my part not to get the boat looked at. I am a rookie at the boat thing and just learned a couple of important lessons.
Guy Kelley

Post by Guy Kelley »

just wondering if there is a BIG difference between 1994, 200 hp Merc EFI and the newer opti's lower units ?

I take the Boat/Motor in pretty regularly for service, one time a year, we never manage to accumulate a 100 hrs on it in a season.

But ya all are making me a little paranoid about the oil in water problem. Even though I always have new impeller etc installed every winter.

Taking the prop off is a pain in the rear cause it has a ring with the tabs that need to be unbent as a keeper before we can even loosen the prop nut. maybe I should just grin and bear it about replacing a retention ring once in a while.

Is picking up fish line on the prop that much of a problem? from the sound of it it is!
Just wondering what you thought.
Dewayne

Re: Yes Guy

Post by Dewayne »

It is a big problem. I did have more of an issue with it on my 225 Opti than my Evinrude HO, but any line will become an expensive issue. I pull my prop ever 5 trips or anytime I see fishing line when giving it a visual inspection. This is in addition to an annual maintenance which includes changing the lower unit lube and vacume testing it.

Those prop nut retainers are cheap, pick up a couple to carry in the boat so you do not have an excuse. Pulling the prop takes less than 5 minutes and could save you a big repair bill and a week with the boat in the shop.
Dewayne
sTony

Post by sTony »

FISH2WIN55 wrote:I bought the boat from a "friend" who said he just had the boat serviced before I bought it. This was 8 months ago. The repair shop said the water had to be in there longer than 8 months to do the kind of damage it did. Stupid on my part not to get the boat looked at. I am a rookie at the boat thing and just learned a couple of important lessons.

I wouldn't be bummed out at the friend who sold you the boat or the mechanic that now is fixing the problem. This sort of stuff happens all the time and no matter how much due diligence you put into the boat things happen. Get it fixed up and now you know to check it every couple times out to avoid the bigger damage.

sTony