Lake Almanor questions?

paulboroman

Lake Almanor questions?

Post by paulboroman »

I'm taking my first multi day trip to Almanor and absolutely can't wait! I know it's not the ideal time for the smallies, but I wanted to check out the Hex hatch and also do some night fishing. My main question is does anyone know if there's a public ramp or ramps in the south that are open all night? Or any advice where to launch for good night fishing access? Also, I plan on throwin a lot of jigs to try and keep away from the dinks, any reco's on jig trailers for Almanor(usin a small Gilly finesse jig in bro, blk, bro/purp)
Thanks a bunch!
Paulboroman
PS I'll be sure to post the results!
photon

I know you said south, but

Post by photon »

On the west shore there are two free public ramps I know of. One near the dam, but I've never been to it. The one I've used is at the PG+E campground that is off 89, about 3 mi S of the 36/89 junction. There is a sign for the "town" of Almanor, and a boat launch sign, so it should be easy to spot from 89.

GL, I heard the hex hatch can be impressive.
Mark Langner

Hey Paul....

Post by Mark Langner »

I live in the bay area and head up to Almanor, usually at very odd hours. I launch at the free ramp down by the dam. I come in on 36 (so I'm traveling east on 36), take a right on 89 heading south (your on the west side of the lake now), then after you pass prattville, a very short distance you'll seen the launch ramp at the dam on your left. If you see the dam, you missed the left turn (I've done that more than a few times). I always call the ramp the canyondam ramp, but I suppose it is literally a forest service ramp. Good parking, there is a bathroom there that is open (not locked up), and you can launch 24 hours a day.

Don't rule out a LC staycee in ghost or clown btw.....
paulboroman

Thanks!

Post by paulboroman »

Thanks for the heads up on the 24hour launch, it doesn't seem too far away from where I'm staying on the eastside either! Also thanks for the advice on the Staysee Mark, I keep thinking craw cranks, but I'll be sure to have the Ghost Minnow tied on at least one rod at all times!
Mark Langner

Paul...

Post by Mark Langner »

I never go on any lake without a ghost and clown staycee in the boat...I fish them that often, year round. On Almanor I try both to see which they prefer, and occasionally keep double checking. Naturally rocky points, rip-rap, etc are good areas on Almanor with rip baits...and if the wind comes up, don't you dare leave the lake without hitting points and rocks with that rip bait. Last year I saw lightening and rain coming my way (and wind) and wisely decided to head back to the ramp....however I was passing this long rocky point and just couldn't resist....I ran about 200 yards of shorline and literally caught a fish about every other cast...it was amazing. Unless you have wind, seems the rip baits work best early morning or late day (for me).
paulboroman

makes me wonder...

Post by paulboroman »

have you ever thrown blades on those windy points? It seems with everyone chuckin plastics, cranks, and rip baits...they might not see many blades burned by em?
Mark Langner

Re: makes me wonder...

Post by Mark Langner »

paulboroman wrote:have you ever thrown blades on those windy points? It seems with everyone chuckin plastics, cranks, and rip baits...they might not see many blades burned by em?
I've known situations people tried (and failed) on a particular day. I would assume they work but I haven't ever tried blades on Almanor...I have such confidence in the rip that's what I use. Now true, sometimes there is not a rip byte going (like can happen anywhere). It's just a bait ya wanna have in the boat and give a try since your there. BTW, while I happen to throw staycees, I have a good friend that throws pointer 128s on that water and gets bit.
paulboroman

Thanks!

Post by paulboroman »

Hey Mark thanks again for the insight. I'm heading up tomorrow till Tuesday morning, so I'll finally have to see what's working and maybe establish a pattern! I'll post the results for sure and I'm hoping it's about a hot rip bite!
paul
Bill kizer

Re: Lake Almanor questions?

Post by Bill kizer »

If you have time, try Butt Valley Res. It's right next to Almanor. Fair smallie fishing in the cove and area just above the ramp a 100 yards or so. Trophy trout in the spillway area.
Have fun,
Bill