Best Bass Tackle Shop in Sacramento

twister

Best Bass Tackle Shop in Sacramento

Post by twister »

I JUST CAME BACK FROM THE WORST BASS BAIT SHOP IN SACRAMENTO. IT ONLY PISSES ME OFF BECAUSE I EXPECTED MORE SELECTION AFTER BATTLING THROUGH TRAFFIC. THE TACKLE IN MY CLUB COMBINED HAS MORE BASS TACKLE THAN THAT POUR EXCUSE FOR A BAIT SHOP. THE RACKS WERE HALF EMPTY.

Where do you ask I went. Troy's! Hey guy do your self a favor and shut down. You don't even have one bait casting reel in the place. Don't waist my time by calling your store a tackle shop.

But seriously, excluding Fisherman's Warehouse and Sac Tackle, Sacramnento has no quality tackle shop catering to Bass fisherman. There are excelent flyfishing places. Elkhorn Tackle, Troy's, Walmart, Broadway Bait, Big 5 and Valley Sports all suck. We Delta fisherman do not use Rapala, Storm soft baits, cheap mono, wimpy rods, hard case tackle boxes, kastmasters, superdupers, ect. Hey why can't they cater to the local fisherman. I need tackle for local fishin--not a big giant Rapala or a trout lures that I would need to drive to the Sierras to use. So here my question to you all reading this rubish:

Besides Sacramento Tackle and Fisherman's W, where is the best place to buy quality bass tackle? This may be a retorical question!
Tm Customs

Re: Best Bass Tackle Shop in Sacramento

Post by Tm Customs »

I think Sac. Pro Tackle is ok. Other than that Fisherman's!
Taylor
"Tm Custom Baits"
=============
http://www.calfishing.com/gallery/tmcustoms
Hipster

They got forced to close!!! That's where

Post by Hipster »

Fishin Depot had it all Oh well!!! What can I say Cabela's !!!

Hipster
Four Decades of Red!!!!!!!!

When in Doubt Set the Hook!!!

Mark
Gator

I actually thought about filling that niche......

Post by Gator »

until I checked on commercial real estate prices in the Granite Bay area (area of the Depot prior it's demise and a little closer to Folsom).

They want almost $2 a square foot triple net for these places. It's no wonder that a small and friendly tackle shop can't survive in this area. For a shop that is available close to my house (the Old Napa store for those of you in the area) it would cost almost $8000 a month to rent. Man, anybody want to pay $12 a bag for Senkos or $30 apiece for Staycees.....I'll open it up!!

Sorry for the rant but this is an issue that has angered me for some time. I am just gald that there are still places like the Hook where I can get personalized service, great selection and not have to own a bank to do it.

*OFF SOAPBOX*
d hill

Post by d hill »

there is also a fishermans warehouse in rocklin right off hwy 80 .go see alan fong if he doesnt have it he can order it.
twister

Post by twister »

Fishermen's Warhouse (FW) and Sac Tackle are great. You know how it is, when we find that exact color and style we tend to by the entire stock. Well, twenty bags of watermelon/pumpkin/9L Senkos can't is not enough for the Sacramento Area. And we all shop at both Folsom and Rocklin store. Other hard to find tackle are Timber Tigers, good selection of Reaction Inovation tackle, and a good selection of Rod Strainer Jigs. It seems the only place to find these is FW. I also like service from time to time, but when the shop does not cater to the customer (stock better tackle), I lean on ordering online. Hey, Tackle Warehouse offers free shipping for orders over $50. That saves me money and time. There's no need to wonder if other fisherman cleared my favorite color Senko or Sweetbeaver from the FW's shelf. I will occasionally drop in and buy little nick nacks, but for the most part there is little reason to try to find hard to find colors at local tackle shops. Another obvious advantage with online ordering is their 24 hours-seven days a week. I believe FW's hours are 10-6--I work those ours. The only time I can make it is on my fishing weekends and Thursday.

The perfect local bass shop is FW with:

*more Bass Pro advice. You can't have Alan at both stores at the same time.
*better selection of tackle boxes and soft bags
*hours between 6 AM and 7:30 PM throughout the week.
*three times the inventory on popular color tackle

Does anyone know about a possible Bass Pro Opening Shop in Sacto, Stockton, or Modesto? I believe the closest one is in Nevada.
GW

Sacramento

Post by GW »

I have to agree that FW does a poor job of keeping hot items in stock. It seems most times they are out of the popular colors. However on the flip side of that you can order anything you need from them.
The major problem I have is their hours flat out suck. 10-6 is when 95% of us are working. Maybe open earlier or stay open later??

End of Rant.
Steve

I concur and then some

Post by Steve »

Fishermens wharehouse does not cater to fishemen, they cater to themselves. The hours they have alone proves that. We all work until at least 5, then its almost impossible to get there by 6 through all the traffic. Plus, Im convinced that they purposely do not stock certain baits and certain colors because many of the employees are tourny fishermen. A perfect example, I started fishing beavers before anybody knew about them thanks to Charlie Weyer giving me some at clear lake. I went into FW at least 10 times asking for them. The answer was that nobody wanted them or was asking for them, but yet they stocked every other Reaction Innovations baits made. Come on, just tell me you dont stock them, dont flat out lie to me. The customer service there stinks, they lie, and they are misleading.

Tackle Warehouse is the answer. Those guys are totally cool and have bent over backwards for me and my friends when something goes wrong (and if you guys read this, thanks for taking care of my northcoast friends Huddleston fiasco, youve got my bussiness for life, you didnt have to do that, and how you dealt with it speaks loudly about your integrity :D ).
Elmhurst bassman

total agreement-check out Oroville outdoors

Post by Elmhurst bassman »

I have went on a rant about this before. The answer is we are #$%*ed. I have come to despise FW but where are we to go. Sac pro tackle is cool but it is a little pricier in a bad location(is there a relation there.) I have Family that lives above oroville dam and I go past Oroville outdoors on a regular basis. Now it is not that it is in driving distance but they cater to the tourney bass fisherman. They never seem to be out of the hot items. They are quite knowledgable . Give them a call and they will box your purchase up and mail it to you. Prices are competitive and they have the largest freakin selection of lucky craft lures and colors that I have seen. Check out AC proshop as well-huge selection, good prices. If I am not mistaken I think they are both Mark Mendez's
kb

I don't think you guys would be happy if they delivered

Post by kb »

First of all let's not get our blinders on and think "we bass fishermen" are the only ones that go into a tackle store. Yes rent in the area is very expensive and the stores have to stock product to fulfill the Kokanee, Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, Shad, Striper, Panfish and Catfish crowds along with our special needs and let's not even get into the Saltwater crowd.

Most of us know that a Watermelon/red flake Senko is the hot bait so why don't you guys have your own back stock. Put some pegboard up in your garage, I did.

For you guys complaining Fisherman's does stay open later at both stores in Sacramento. Thursday for Sac and Friday for Rocklin. I think they stay open until 8. Not only that they have many of the local pro's come in for special seminars during those days. They cover local waters, GPS use, rod building etc. If I recall those are some of the topics I see here quite often.

Now don't get too excited about those guys being tournament fishermen because I can't think of any of the guys that manage or buy the tackle at Fishermen's who fish tournaments. Before you guys jump up and down about Alan being a tournament angler I think the last tournament I saw Alan at was in 2000 and you all should be glad John Bedwell doesn't fish them cause I was tired of him kicking my *** when he did. We have to deal with having Russ Myers back we don't need JB back too. And let's not hold that against any of the guys that work or manage the stores and do fish tournaments. Let's see there is Stuart at Phil's, Scott at Outdoor Pro Shop, Gene at the Hook, Gary at Extreme and all of them are helpful as can be.

I don't think many of you have a clue how tough the retail tackle business is. You want to go in and look at 60 colors of senko's and buy 3, one bag of each and pay the same price as Bass Pro, no sales tax, buy the last bag so the other guys don't have them and have the clerk tell you where to fish them.

Now we know the fall tournaments are coming. How many of you guys have stocked up on LV500 and LV100 Lucky Crafts or River2Sea Twin Vibes for Clear Lake? How about drop shot baits from Robo in Aarons magic and Oxblood light for those TOC's at Oroville and Shasta. You guys have green pumpkin yamamoto jigs, football heads or 3/4 or 1 ounce live rubber jigs. Got your Gamakatsu drop shot hooks or Tungsten weights. How many of you couldn't find a ghost minnow Staysee this spring but haven't bought a few now that they are back in stock? You guys think they will stop eating it next year......let me know if you do cause I want to be the first one to tell Gary D.

The ICAST show is in two weeks and if I owned a store I would want to be a bit down in some of the slower moving stuff so that I could have the latest in stock.

I personally think the Fisherman's stores do a good job and they will get you stuff if you ask. Oh and I saw on one of the Kokanee Forum pages some guy complaining because they don't fish with rubber frogs or 12" trout and that is all their local stores stock, hell they were even out of corn and watermelon dodgers before the big Derby at Berryessa........that drew 400 fishermen. Sorry to go off guys but we are not the only ones backing down a launch ramp either so you guys need to get your blinders off.

kb
Farres

Post by Farres »

Excellent post, Kent. I personally think FW does a fine job at keeping what I need. True, they are occassionally out of a few things when I really need it, but that's more my fault for waiting until the last minute.

I think the reason many of us (me included) don't buy more of what we regularly use when we see it is cost. That makes sense, but consider the check that FW and any other tackle store has to cut when a big shipment of Yamamoto or Lucky Craft comes in--staggering. There's not much margin for a tackle retailer and most simply can't afford to sit on tens of thousands of dollars of plastics or hardbaits in the backroom, waiting for the pegs out front to empty. So, they do their best at managing their inventory without killing their cash flow. All it takes is one guy to walk in off the street and buy 40 bags of Watermellon Senkos and the rest of us are SOL.

By the way, I dropped by my local Safeway on the way home and they were out of Caffiene Free Coke. I ain't ever going back.... :shock:
Jeff Jewell

Dang guys,

Post by Jeff Jewell »

Jeez, quit bitchin that you only have 2 tackle shops. You should feel lucky to have them, most places have no tackle shops that have anything other than trout crap. The Local Long's drug's is the closest thing to a tackle shop around here. They do a good job but they aren't a fisherman's warehouse. Folks around here travel an hour to go to the warehouse or we stop in Oakley at one of those fine stores. Just be glad you have what you have. Someday you might not have them
Jeff Jewell
When in Doubt " Set the Hook"
Mike

Move to Oakley!

Post by Mike »

Were building 500 houses in Oakley we'll gladly sell you one! And we have 2 awsome tackle shops! Anything you need is 5 minutes away! If the Hook aint got it, They usally can get it for you by the weekend!

AAAhhh Life is good in Oakley

Mike
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Caneron,

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

Just exactly where in San Jose are you..I am a retired Navy Chief Petty Officer that loves bass fishing,"just ask Cooch"..Unfortunately I do not drive, I do not back up trailers, but I do contribute to get the job done,,If you ever need a second man in the boat let me know..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..